CPL General

14 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

They had Kinduct performing testing for the Open Tryouts, so they appear to be pro-analytics. However I don't know if anything has been announced going forward

Thanks!

I really hope they do this, as taking advantage of these things when other countries and associations are still sometimes resisting would be a good way to make up ground quickly and develop better talent. 

22 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Anyone know what their ticket pricing and attendance was like last year? This seems steep

Honestly, that could be misleading, as corporate sales that blended Fury and Red Black packages could be hard to include as well. 

It’s fungible and OSEG feels its enough to keep fielding a team.  Getting a precise sense of profitability may be impossible, much like TFC. 

14 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

There were some high-priced players on loan from Montreal who were being paid by Montreal though, correct?  That could drag the "average" up quite substantially.

$65k x 22 players = $1.43m, for those keeping track.

$65k average?  There’s no chance. I’d be really surprised if the Fury themselves paid $1 million in salary in 2018.  

They're not paying MLS salaries in full clearly and I can’t imagine the full roster players even averaging that amount.  

The numbers between CPL and USL can’t be that far off.. it’s just not realistic.  If the USL numbers were that much higher they would be in MLS territory and how is that logical?  In a supply and demand sense they wouldn’t need to come close so why would they?  Are we to believe OSEG is just super generous?  The stories we constantly hear from average USL players is that they struggle to get by.  So if Ottawa is paying that much above the league average they should be canning their management because it’s clearly not paying off.  Nothing makes sense with the Ottawa spin. 

Edited by Keegan

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Worth noting that Steven Sandor pointed out something very similar on the11.ca:

https://the11.ca/concacafs-attempt-to-clarify-the-fury-situation-only-serves-to-muddy-the-waters/

...And, then, with the Canadian Premier League being considered Division 1, does CONCACAF now need to explain why the three Canadian MLS teams do fit the “exceptional circumstance” criteria and the Fury does not?

And, if CONCACAF advised the CSA in the fall that it did not see the “exceptional circumstances” clause being met, why did Canada Soccer approve the Fury deal and then plan to kick it up to CONCACAF, anyway?

so it's more a case of stating the blindingly obvious. Are you going to direct infantile playground level abuse towards Steven Sandor as well?

The three MLS teams fit the criteria because, arbitrary division designations aside, the level of play between MLS & CPL/USL will be vastly different, likely forever.  The same cannot be said for the difference between CPL & USL - a difference which (IMO) will favour USL in the initial years, though the difference will likely not be vast (or in the language of the day, exceptional).

Tying MLS & CPL together because they're both Division 1 leagues is a false equivalency; the phrase refers to a position on a pyramid, not necessarily a level of play.  That level of play is the exceptional circumstance that keeps (and should keep) the MLS teams separate.

That said, completely fair point on the second sentence - there's been some massive failures in communication here, and I'm not convinced it's unintentional.

Edited by Gopherbashi

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Macron just rebranded themselves and I don’t think it’s any coincidence that it happened right before the kit reveals. I have a feeling this partnership is going to be huge.

My major concern about Macron is that they make slim fit look like relaxed fit. I’m carrying a few extra pounds, I normally wear XL, but I’m not going to buy a jersey that is skin tight, especially with my unathletic appearance. 

31 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

My major concern about Macron is that they make slim fit look like relaxed fit. I’m carrying a few extra pounds, I normally wear XL, but I’m not going to buy a jersey that is skin tight, especially with my unathletic appearance. 

Sadly, I am in this boat as well.  

On 12/13/2018 at 10:13 AM, masster said:

Some nice tidbits of CPL info from the AJ Jakubec interview on TSN 1200 in Ottawa (starts at 21:20):
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200-1.1225738

Bob Young is the money behind the HFX Wanderers as well as Forge FC. He will most likely be the money behind Kitchener/Waterloo as well for 2020.

I feel like this seems to be getting ignored on this thread, unless I've missed it previously.  I mean, that's incredibly generous of Bob Young and it's also something that MLS went through for a decade, but I don't think it's a healthy situation for a league.  And further, the commissioner spent a lot of time talking about how many ownership groups wanted to jump in on this league.  Only starting with 7 teams and 2 of them being financed by one guy doesn't really seem to back that up.

16 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I feel like this seems to be getting ignored on this thread, unless I've missed it previously.  I mean, that's incredibly generous of Bob Young and it's also something that MLS went through for a decade, but I don't think it's a healthy situation for a league.  And further, the commissioner spent a lot of time talking about how many ownership groups wanted to jump in on this league.  Only starting with 7 teams and 2 of them being financed by one guy doesn't really seem to back that up.

Well it does if they had a motivated group in Halifax who couldn’t come up with all of the capital to start a club and the league wanted a specific geographic footprint.

52 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Well it does if they had a motivated group in Halifax who couldn’t come up with all of the capital to start a club and the league wanted a specific geographic footprint.

Sure.  But then the narrative is "we have 20 parties interested, but not necessarily 20 parties capable of backing it financially."  That's not quite as positive as they kept making it sound.

I guess the other part for me is that they should have been more open and up front about Young's involvement with the Halifax group, instead of this coming out in an interview much later.  The league needs to be open and transparent about what's going on.

Edited by Watchmen

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sure.  But then the narrative is "we have 20 parties interested, but not necessarily 20 parties capable of backing it financially."  That's not quite as positive as they kept making it sound.

I guess the other part for me is that they should have been more open and up front about Young's involvement with the Halifax group, instead of this coming out in an interview much later.  The league needs to be open and transparent about what's going on.

I think it’s been unofficially known since earlier this year. I honestly don’t see a problem with it as long as each team is provided equal financial backing - something I’m sure the league would enforce and something I think is evident in the quality of both Forge and HFX merch, pricing, etc. As long as we have a viable team in Halifax, I could care less where the money comes from (within reason).

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

A financially capable party can't make a viable stadium appear out of nowhere.

18 hours ago, juicy sushi said:

Kits are key.  I don’t like buying T-shirts and the polos are ok, but nothing appeals like a really good replica kit. 

I think Macron only sells authentic match kits, which is more admirable imo. I look on with disgust when Adidas, Nike or Puma supplied teams give the option of buying replicas or authentics at a huge mark up.