CPL General

21 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Jesus Christ that seems overly-complicated, and having CPL teams enter alongside L1O & PLSQ (and beneath the Fury) is NOT a good look for the league.

Probably don't want to have a Manchester City vs Burton score line  https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46732982  with TFC vs Vaughan.  I like Vaughan but they will probably have six or more players find a spot on CPL teams this season.  

Just now, Rocket Robin said:

Probably don't want to have a Manchester City vs Burton score line  https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46732982  with TFC vs Vaughan.  I like Vaughan but they will probably have six or more players find a spot on CPL teams this season.  

No one is saying anything about TFC.  It’s about CPL and USL teams not being at the same level even though Ottawa JUST squeaked by Blainville.

And TFC wouldn’t beat Vaughan or any other L1O team 8-0 imo. 

2 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

There are many other scenarios that avoid a TFC vs Vaughn type matchup. 

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Or maybe this was just a bone CSA threw to Ottawa as a sort of “sorry for the trouble” RE: the fact they’ll be in CPL next year. 

well it's not a fact they will be also this is a pretty small bone if that is why because honestly possibly losing several million dollars of value for a 3rd round spot would really be a joke. like it's sorta like when marge gave apu banana bread after he had 8 kids

Edited by matty

That's part of what is so bafflingly mind-fucked about this.  I don't see how anyone other than those trying to undermine CPL could see this as a good thing.  If you wanted to make the league look utterly second class, you would:

• Set the table up to put MLS clearly ahead - by a wide margin.
  • Put USL ahead as well.
  • Put CPL on par with L1O and PLSQ amateur clubs.

That would be the masterplan of how to make CPL look amateur before anyone kicks a ball.

And that is exactly what they did.  I am sure some on here are filled with glee at CPL being put in its place.  And some loving that the Firy get a bit of revenge.  But I am fucking gobsmacked that this was the plan put forward by the CSA.  I have read, over and over, posts about the CSA being incompetent.  No, I always thought to myself, I am sure they have had some challenges, but at heart they have the same goals we all do - to see Canadian soccer get better.  But this?  This makes me question that.  I honestly couldn't design a format that does a better job of marginalizing CPL.

I probably need to let it go for a few hours and have a rum. 

Just now, matty said:

well it's not a fact they will be also this is a pretty small bone if that is why because honestly possibly losing several million dollars of value for a 3rd round spot would really be a joke

How would they be losing millions of dollars of value?  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That's part of what is so bafflingly mind-fucked about this.  I don't see how anyone other than those trying to undermine CPL could see this as a good thing.  If you wanted to make the league look utterly second class, you would:

• Set the table up to put MLS clearly ahead - by a wide margin.
  • Put USL ahead as well.
  • Put CPL on par with L1O and PLSQ amateur clubs.

That would be the masterplan of how to make CPL look amateur before anyone kicks a ball.

And that is exactly what they did.  I am sure some on here are filled with glee at CPL being put in its place.  And some loving that the Firy get a bit of revenge.  But I am fucking gobsmacked that this was the plan put forward by the CSA.  I have read, over and over, posts about the CSA being incompetent.  No, I always thought to myself, I am sure they have had some challenges, but at heart they have the same goals we all do - to see Canadian soccer get better.  But this?  This makes me question that.  I honestly couldn't design a format that does a better job of marginalizing CPL.

I probably need to let it go for a few hours and have a rum. 

It's fully possible the CSA don't think CPL is on par and want this to be about skill not politics. A lot of people do push the CSA conspiring for the CPL against OFFC and USL but it seems (at least at the moment) they are not going to put politics ahead of quality

18 minutes ago, Keegan said:

No one is saying anything about TFC.  It’s about CPL and USL teams not being at the same level even though Ottawa JUST squeaked by Blainville.

And TFC wouldn’t beat Vaughan or any other L1O team 8-0 imo. 

Yeah you're right it would be 15-0

4 minutes ago, matty said:

well it's not a fact they will be...

...and seeding the three MLS teams and the Fury and having this in the press release:

About the Canadian Championship
The Canadian Championship is Canada Soccer’s highest domestic professional soccer competition and is the sole qualification route for Canadian professional clubs into Concacaf Champions League and onto the FIFA Club World Cup.

doesn't follow the script we were led to expect at this point.

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How would they be losing millions of dollars of value?  

It was reported (by a Fury source so gain of salt) that Fury are worth $7million (USD) atm. A move to CPL would see that drop noticeably because nothing is known about CPL and it's unlikely CPL clubs will be worth even half that in a year unless they have the best deal possible for TV and sponsorships.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

This reeks of politics 

It's the 4 most established teams getting better placement. It might be politics (one's that counter the narrative you've pushed hard about CSA/CPL-Fury) but it's also about actually playing soccer and proven quality.

Just now, matty said:

It's the 4 most established teams getting better placement. It might be politics (one's that counter the narrative you've pushed hard about CSA/CPL-Fury) but it's also about actually playing soccer and proven quality.

Splitting the CPL clubs by year of entry throws that argument out the window.

It really look like a compromise to somewhat appease CPL. Still makes no sense

10 minutes ago, matty said:

It's fully possible the CSA don't think CPL is on par and want this to be about skill not politics. A lot of people do push the CSA conspiring for the CPL against OFFC and USL but it seems (at least at the moment) they are not going to put politics ahead of quality

It isn't about them being "on par" (presumably you mean with MLS).  I don't think anyone is that delusional.  But putting the Fury in a later round seems to be odd, especially given recent circumstances.  And since CPL is currently poaching L1O and PLSQ's best players, I think it is a fair bet that they will be superior teams overall.  Those statements are also no about politics but reflect the estimated quality of CPL.  Putting them on level footing for seeding would be not putting "politics ahead of quality".  What I see if the opposite.

Edited by dyslexic nam

4 minutes ago, matty said:

The reality is that the format was wide open to them, and the CSA chose a dubious format that required that kind of seeding.  There were many other possibilities which would not have necessitated a decision about whether or not the Fury enter at the same time or after the CPL teams. 

8 minutes ago, matty said:

It really look like a compromise to somewhat appease CPL. Still makes no sense.

Edited by Ansem

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It really look like a compromise to somewhat appease CPL. Still makes no sense

How? You're saying stuff without any explanation.

The CPL club's have no history so they opted first come first serve for them and stuck the rest with tier 3 and moved the team that's been a pain in the CPL's ass to the 3rd round.

This really does not help CPL

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It isn't about them being "on par" (presumably you mean with MLS).  I don't think anyone is that delusional.  But putting the Fury in a later round seems to be odd, expecially given recent circumstances.  And dince CPL is curently poaching L1O and PLSQ's best players, I think it is a fair bet that they will be superior teams overall.  Those statements are also no about politics but reflect the estimated quality of CPL.  Putting them on level footing for seeding would be not putting "politics ahead of quality".  What I see if the opposite.

I was not referring to being on par with MLS but USL.

I also don't think it's a fair bet at the moment. Might be come March but now no. It's easy to forget but USL does have a decent number of internationally capped players and some solid vets, until CPL starts landing those guys too this comparison can't be made fairly.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that the format was wide open to them, and the CSA chose a dubious format that required that kind of seeding.  There were many other possibilities which would not have necessitated a decision about whether or not the Fury enter at the same time or after the CPL teams. 

Fully agree. Curious if they explain why and if CPL issues a statement cause they do it often.

Hope a CPL team kills Fury.

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

How? You're saying stuff without any explanation.

The CPL club's have no history so they opted first come first serve for them and stuck the rest with tier 3 and moved the team that's been a pain in the CPL's ass to the 3rd round.

Which has nothing to do with quality but politics.

Why not be congruent and put the D3 ahead while you're at it since CPL has no history either.

They point out that FC Edmonton was a returning team which has a track record in the tournament. Why not FC Edmonton at the same stage then?

This has politics plastered all over it. I could poke holes in their rational all day. I was always a fan of random draws anyways but that system is just plain wrong.

I'm reading the French twitter and they aren't thrilled on how far ahead TFC has been seeded in comparison to Montreal and Vancoiver with one pointing out that even PSG doesn't get that kind of advantage in coupe de la ligue.

11 minutes ago, matty said:

It was reported (by a Fury source so gain of salt) that Fury are worth $7million (USD) atm. A move to CPL would see that drop noticeably because nothing is known about CPL and it's unlikely CPL clubs will be worth even half that in a year unless they have the best deal possible for TV and sponsorships.

Well yeah, that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense so probably another Fury hot take. 

In a year, which is what we’re talking about, everyone will know the deal with CPL.  Your logic is confusing when you say they won’t be worth half that in a year unless they have the best deal possible for TV and sponsors.  So how does Ottawa have a value of $7 million?  CPL clubs need the best of the best to be half that value but Ottawa skates by and is wort $7 million.

Even possible explanations wouldn’t make sense, for instance if you want to say that it’s because of OSEG’s accounting.. okay, then by that token Hamilton and Winnipeg would/could be worth more.  If you want to say it’s because of the USL licence well then presumably someone values it and will purchase it.. so sell it? 

The answer is obvious and was already answered days ago as to why Ottawa is staying in USL.  They aren’t paying salaries as high as CPL - that’s the truth they’re a farm club for MTL and Toronto.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

It's the 4 most established teams getting better placement....

...which suggests that the CSA may not be quite as gung ho about CanPL as they were when Victor Montagliani was the president. Only a few months back the rhetoric from CanPL was still that they are the domestic pro league and should have an automatic Champions League entrant. Now it appears that the Canadian Championship is still effectively Canada's domestic D1 competition as it really needs to be if it is going to be used as the pathway into CONCACAF and FIFA club level competition for the three Canadian MLS teams. If you have teams playing out like that, but still viewed as domestic when playing in continental federation competition (unlike the League of Wales and Wellington Phoenix scenarios) it bumps the top domestic pro league down a notch.