CPL General

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The Canadian Chàmpionship determines the national champion for Canada in the way national D1 pro leagues do elsewhere. It isn't the equivalent of a national cup from that standpoint.

The FA Cup determines the national champion, what’s your point?  

Its wording to excite people - you don’t need to do mental gymnastics and come up with some absurd hypothesis.  It’s much more likely that release was drafted by someone in media than a lawyer.

Also just use common sense here for once please.  Remember big bad Vic?  He’s still el presidente.  You think he’s going to not give CPL spots?  Okay ??... 

9 minutes ago, RS said:

From all we've ever heard on the subject, it's the national federations that allocate CCL spots, not CONCACAF.

If Canada gets another spot (or a spot in the Concacaf League), I fully expect the MLS clubs to raise hell (behind the scenes) to ensure they are not completely shut out of it.

CONCACAF gives the spots and the federations determine how they are spread so you are partially correct but missing my point, which I should have expanded on. 

If CONCACAF gives us 2-3 spots across their competitions, which it appears they will based on other nations, it’s inevitable that one/two will be going to our domestic league. 

Panama has an 8 team domestic league  and gets FOUR teams across the CCL and CONCACAF league. 

That has to be the starting point for us.  One spot in the CCL proper which goes to V cup winner (no complaints).  And 3 spots that go to CPL teams in the lower league. 

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

So the national associations arbitrarily determine how many CCL spots they get? Cool so let’s go with 13 ? 

CONCACAF gives the spots and the federations determine how they are spread so you are partially correct but missing my point. 

If CONCACAF gives us 2-3 spots across their competitions, which it appears they will based on other nations, it’s inevitable that one/two will be going to our domestic league. 

I don't know if it is because simply put if Canada does get a second spot, the case can be made it should go to the runner-up of the CanChamp as that's the competition that's earned Canada its second spot and the Canadian MLS teams draw big time in the tournament which CONCACAF would like.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

So the national associations arbitrarily determine how many CCL spots they get?

Uh, no.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

CONCACAF gives the spots and the federations determine how they are spread so you are partially correct but missing my point. 

And it's inevitable that the MLS clubs will raise hell if that's the case. I'm not saying they'll be successful, but they do hold some sway with the CSA.

9 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The FA Cup determines the national champion, what’s your point?

It doesn't. The Premiership does. It was always the Football League champions that played in the European Cup when there was only one entrant. There was a secondary competition for cup winners.

Having the winner as the sole entrant to the CONCACAF Champions League makes the Canadian Championship the highest domestic competition. Check the CSA's press release. It is described as that in a section towards the end.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, gator said:

We can poke all kinds of holes in this format and there have been some much better looking proposals posted on here, we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes, it's the 1st year for 7 new CPL pro teams and we actually have some matches scheduled to look forward to, I personally find it exciting despite the flaws!

Great post.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

Just saw the format. I definitely made a "wtf" look at my computer screen. This format is bizarre to say the least. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the competition nonetheless.

Speculation, but here it goes! TFC had a lot of problems with schedule congestion last year and this is likely why the bizarre format. They probably pulled some strings to get it. The obvious and natural system (where the 10 non-MLS teams do a playoff round to get to 5 then add-in 3 MLS teams and you have an 8-team elimination tournament) would mean 2 extra games in the TFC fixture list.

4 hours ago, matty said:

Hope a CPL team kills Fury.

I hope the CPL does too, and I'm a Fury supporter. I want something to be able to hold OSEG's feet to the fire about joining the new league.

As for the format, if you ever look at the MLS or Big Soccer boards, most posters seem to put down the Voyageur's cup because it has so few rounds. I Think the CSA has set this up as 4 rounds instead of 3 because that will be the number of rounds going forward as more teams enter into the league. I believe the seeding this year is a one-time thing since the CPL is an unknown quantity, so we shouldn't get too worked up over it. Next year, the league could be at 10 teams, at which point the VC winner would drop down to the Quarterfinal stage and Ottawa would drop to the second stage (or first stage, depending on their performance in the tournament this year). I'm pretty sure the MLS teams are always going to be seeded in the QF round because they have a more loaded schedule of 34 games (I don't see the CPL ever getting to more than 30 games).

I don't care about the politics, I just want to see some interesting match-ups in the VC this year!

Here are the match-up's I'm expecting this year.

Match 1: HFX Wanderers vs AS Blainville

Match 2: York9 vs Vaughan Azzuri

Match 3: Pacific FC vs Calvary FC

Match 4: Forge FC vs Winner of Match 1

Match 5: Valour FC vs Winner of Match 2

Match 6: FC Edmonton vs Winner of Match 3

Match 7:  Montreal Impact vs Winner of Match 4

Match 8:  Ottawa Fury vs Winner of Match 5

Match 9:  Vancouver Whitecaps vs Winner of Match 6

Match 10: TFC vs Winner of Match 8

Match 11: Winner of Match 7 vs Winner of Match 9

FINAL: Winner of Match 10 vs Winner of Match 11

So you see, the CSA really has split the clubs regionally without explicitly stating it. 

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...which suggests that the CSA may not be quite as gung ho about CanPL as they were when Victor Montagliani was the president. Only a few months back the rhetoric from CanPL was still that they are the domestic pro league and should have an automatic Champions League entrant. Now it appears that the Canadian Championship is still effectively Canada's domestic D1 competition as it really needs to be if it is going to be used as the pathway into CONCACAF and FIFA club level competition for the three Canadian MLS teams. If you have teams playing out like that, but still viewed as domestic when playing in continental federation competition (unlike the League of Wales and Wellington Phoenix scenarios) it bumps the top domestic pro league down a notch.

God you're an ignorant and repetitive cunt.

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

Also, can someone explain why Ottawa pays among the best in USL at $70k + housing and no one wants to sign there?! 

Why are players so discriminatory against Ottawa?  And now I see their top scorer has left too!  

Why didn’t any of the names signing in CPL consider Ottawa at those huge wages?  Couldn’t possibly be that it’s bullshit.. nah, everyone is against Ottawa.

The 70k spin was from Fury centrics.

4 hours ago, matty said:

Also USL has access to ESPN's streaming services which is big and generates some solid US money and has a number of partners. CPL's currently has nothing other than Macron (iirc). While CPL has potential, it is still just potential and even Canadian deals might not generate the same money that one can make of US related deals.

USL is apparently paying to be on ESPN streaming, not the other way around.

4 hours ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

Just saw the format. I definitely made a "wtf" look at my computer screen. This format is bizarre to say the least. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the competition nonetheless.

Clumsy I'd call it but it was always going to be a bit awkward.  

However...not actually offended by the CPL clubs coming into this tourney on the bottom rung, not if this is a precedent setting practice.  As new teams join (regardless of the league they belong to) I would expect those new entrants to continue to enter the tourney at the bottom rung.  If in 2020 that means the CPL expansion teams have to play with/through the amateur sides to get to QR2 and at the rest of the Big Boys then so be it.  There's some logic in that.  Or at least you could argue that there is. 

And good job on claiming Wednesday as Cup night.  Back-to-back with a min. week off and a break for the Gold Cup.  Some hints in that of how the CPL schedule will look when ITS FINALLY RELEASED. 

Going to be a busy June in Winnipeg.  League schedule, Valour joins the Vs Cup, Gold Cup.  Oh, my poor liver.     

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ughh, it hurts so much to be a canadian soccer fan.  The only thing I can think to put a spin on this is Ottawa is up a rung because the CPL teams havnt kicked a ball yet.  But why spilt the CPL teams, putting some with L10 and PQ league?? 

I personally think it makes sense. Last year’s winner gets a bye to semis; the 3 remaining established clubs get a bye to the quarters; then we have to find away to divide the CPL sides.  Beat way to do that was when they were established. Next year will be different as more sides in the CPL (including Fury if they exist) and more established teams. 

5 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Speculation, but here it goes! TFC had a lot of problems with schedule congestion last year and this is likely why the bizarre format. They probably pulled some strings to get it. The obvious and natural system (where the 10 non-MLS teams do a playoff round to get to 5 then add-in 3 MLS teams and you have an 8-team elimination tournament) would mean 2 extra games in the TFC fixture list.

There's no reason the CSA couldn't change the cup to a single-elimination tournament - in full or for some rounds.  There's no steadfast requirement for it to be home-and-away.

Edited by Gopherbashi

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

CONCACAF gives the spots and the federations determine how they are spread so you are partially correct but missing my point, which I should have expanded on. 

Panama has an 8 team domestic league  and gets FOUR teams across the CCL and CONCACAF league. 

That has to be the starting point for us.  One spot in the CCL proper which goes to V cup winner (no complaints).  And 3 spots that go to CPL teams in the lower league. 

Panama (and Costa Rica) only had four spots across the competition because Guatemala was suspended.  Starting in 2019, they drop back down to 3.

So where are these extra  spots in the competition coming from for Canada?  Are you taking away spots from another country or expanding the Concacaf League?  I'm not saying the CPL shouldn't get a spot in the CL, but I don't think it's as straight forward as Canada just "getting" extra spots.

Challenge for Canada is that we can't just "take" a spot. There needs to be a mechanism to get another one. 

I think in 2020 or 2021 we will get a second spot somehow. I really don't see us getting a third. And I'm honestly okay with that. One should go to the winner of the Canadian Championship, one should go to the winner of the CPL. For now, given the young reemergence of soccer in our country, I'd be fine with that.

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

There's no reason the CSA couldn't change the cup to a single-elimination tournament - in full or for some rounds....

...beyond the possibility of having no home game involved under that scenario. This format means that the fans of every team get to see their team play at least once, which is only reasonable when the main national championship rather than a secondary national cup competition is what is on the line. The seeding is designed to cap the number of games that are likely for any team at 6. That's sensible from a logistical standpoint. By the time you add 6 games in the Canadian Championship to 28 regular season games in CanPL and throw in a minimum of 3 for playoffs at the end you have a lot to fit into what is likely to be a seven month season.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think it's as straight forward as Canada just "getting" extra spots.

I think it is, on a time-delay. Once the CanPL is actually up and playing Canada will be given a second spot in the CCL. Giving it to us this year, before the league has even kicked a ball, makes no sense. Within the next two years (given how bureaucracies work) I am 100% confident we will have a second spot to be allocated as the CSA decides and I cannot see them doing anything other than giving it to the CanPL Champions.

My latest possible time for us to get a second spot in CONCACAF would be in the 2022 CONCACAF League. After the 2021 CONCACAF League that competition will have played 5 years, which is how far back they take results into consideration for the CONCACAF Club Index. That means all the slots in CCL and CL will have a full complement of results by that time (with the exception of things like Guatemalan teams, but they don't have those results because of their own doing, rather than just a lack of time).

So once everybody has their full 5 years of results, we can fairly say who is the worst and can be relegated out of continental competition. Then bring in a new slot for the country with the highest average CONCACAF Club Index that isn't at the maximum of 4 slots. Oh hey look, that's Canada, so Canada gets spot number 2 with a Club Index of 0 to start out. That brings Canada's average of about 90 down to about 45 and potentially some other country has a higher average Club Index for next year. So that other country could promote another spot into CONCACAF play, etc. Promoted slots can't be relegated until they have been in CONCACAF play for 5 years, and thus have a mature Club Index. Also, the last spot for a country can't be relegated I suppose (because I don't know how they could earn their way back in). We can also do promotion and relegation between CCL and CL with the Club Index.

It all makes so much sense, they have to do it. If they don't do it by 2022 CL, I riot.