CPL General

Clearest indication of CPL's plan from someone clearly in the know

Gets good at the 23:00 minute mark

Sorry for buying lazy / busy

Summarizing...

• If CPL teams can attract an average of ~6k fans, they break even.
  • Anything above tickets sales (merchandise, extra attendance etc...) is bonus/extra money
  • CPL will be conservative for 5 years so they get viable and establish themselves. After that, if it works out, they will go CPL 2.0 which coincide with the eve of the 2026 World Cup. Claims that they will reach 2.0 faster than MLS reached their 2.0*
  • Implies that CPL should get more than 1 CCL spot (maybe 1 CCL and 1 CL)
  • How CPL views itself in 10 years: 18-20 teams, comparable to MLS**, huge contributor to the National program
  • Pro Rel: He's not favorable to Pro/Rel understands the logic of it.
  • CPL are working on TV rights right now, says he's sure that games will both streamed and on TV

*Note: Pay attention to the wording here. No one's saying CPL will be MLS in 5 years. Our 2.0 and MLS 2.0 is different, correct? But it's not unreasonable to say that we can shift to next gear faster than MLS did theirs. Other disclaimer, I think MLS will enter MLS 3.0 by the time we go 2.0. Just making sure we're clear as I don't have the energy to clarify this lol

**Note: I'm thinking that he means that in 10 years, we could be today's MLS. Of course, MLS should be at another level by then

Edited by Ansem

MLS is already in 3.0 FWIW.  1.0 was 1996 then 2.0 came with Toronto, Seattle etc. Supporter culture, SSS.  3.0 is what we’ve been seeing since 2015~  Atlanta, LAFC massive crowds and teams buying legitimate young talents and shifting from the old stars.. also developing their first true worldie youth talent in Davies.  

2.0 any team could legitimately compete, now in 3.0 some teams are realizing they’ll probably never come close to MLS cup again. 

Edited by Keegan

49 minutes ago, Keegan said:

MLS is already in 3.0 FWIW.  1.0 was 1996 then 2.0 came with Toronto, Seattle etc. Supporter culture, SSS.  3.0 is what we’ve been seeing since 2015~  Atlanta, LAFC massive crowds and teams buying legitimate young talents and shifting from the old stars.. also developing their first true worldie youth talent in Davies.  

2.0 any team could legitimately compete, now in 3.0 some teams are realizing they’ll probably never come close to MLS cup again. 

I can agree with that.

So, Alex meant that we can hit 2.0 faster than MLS did during 1996-2007 (11 years)? The 2026 World Cup hype will certainly help.

I think 3.0 start date is an interesting debate... I'd say 2016. The dominance of TFC + their epic CCL run. TFC + Giovinco dominance and getting that type of player in his prime was it for me in my opinion. That TFC team & type of DP set the new bar.

Edited by Ansem

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

I can agree with that.

So, Alex meant that we can hit 2.0 faster than MLS did during 1996-2007 (11 years)? The 2026 World Cup hype will certainly help.

I think 3.0 start date is an interesting debate... I'd say 2016. The dominance of TFC + their epic CCL run. TFC + Giovinco dominance and getting that type of player in his prime was it for me in my opinion. That TFC team & type of DP set the new bar.

Yea it’s debatable between 2015-2017 really.. I say 2015 because I feel Orlando and NYCFC joining with Kaka and Villa + TFC with Giovinco who was an unprecedented signing.  

About CCL for CPL. A potentially huge problem for CPL will be that the CPL season reportedly starts in April, when the first 3 rounds of CCL are already done. That’s everything but the final. Putting aside speculation about CPL’s level of play relative to these other leagues (a CPL team would very likely get drawn against a Mexican or American team since they make up most of pot A) it would be very hard to be competitive playing games 2 months before the start of your season.

I have prefered the idea of starting with CONCACAF League rather than CCL, so maybe this is confirmation bias but this is a new reason to add to the list. The tough circumstances could make the league look worse than it actually is.

I hope randomly or maybe who is leading the league at a certain point this year, a CPL team gets in to Concacaf League in 2019

CCL.. could maybe be a blessing in disguise just having to focus on that. Would definitely have to arrange a camp in central america of somewhere to prepare. Similar to what tfc did

Edited by SpursFlu

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I hope randomly or maybe who is leading the league at a certain point this year, a CPL team gets in to Concacaf League in 2019

CCL.. could maybe be a blessing in disguise just having to focus on that. Would definitely have to arrange a camp in central america of somewhere to prepare. Similar to what tfc did

Ironically, TFC feels that at least part of what they did last year was a mistake. 

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

About CCL for CPL. A potentially huge problem for CPL will be that the CPL season reportedly starts in April, when the first 3 rounds of CCL are already done. That’s everything but the final. Putting aside speculation about CPL’s level of play relative to these other leagues (a CPL team would very likely get drawn against a Mexican or American team since they make up most of pot A) it would be very hard to be competitive playing games 2 months before the start of your season.

I have prefered the idea of starting with CONCACAF League rather than CCL, so maybe this is confirmation bias but this is a new reason to add to the list. The tough circumstances could make the league look worse than it actually is.

Nothing good old Vic can't fix ;) 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

The draw for it seems to be in May of next year and they seem to have already set the format for 2019.  So I think that's probably a bit too optimistic.  But if they're not in by 2020 in some capacity I'd be surprised.

12 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Ironically, TFC feels that at least part of what they did last year was a mistake. 

If that makes them feel better. I tend to disagree. Not addressing an aleady flimsy backline was probably the real mistake. But hey it fits the mls narrative of excuses for playing in 2 competitions 

Edited by SpursFlu

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If that makes them feel better. I tend to disagree. Not addressing an aleady flimsy backline was probably the real mistake. But hey it fits the mls narrative of excuses for playing in 2 competitions 

Spot on.  What a run TFC had with their injuries and weak back line though.. that 2-1 win away in Mexico was incredible when you think about it.  

https://bcsoccer.net/news/post/bcspl-and-bc-soccer-announce-a-change-in-league-operational-structure

BCSPL and BC Soccer announce a change in league operational structure

Posted on December 20th, 2018 by BC Soccer

BCSPL and BC Soccer announce a change in the league’s operational structure

December 20, 2018 Vancouver, BC - BC Soccer and the BC Soccer Premier League (BCSPL) are excited to announce a new operational model that will help streamline its strategic direction.

The BCSPL was formed in 2011 to support the development pathway in BC by establishing a standards-based environment focused on player, coach and referee development. The BCSPL provides an important link between competitive levels, BC Soccer’s Provincial Program, Whitecaps FC youth programming, University, Semi-pro and Professional levels.  Upon formation, a board of governors was established to oversee the eight founding members (franchise clubs). 

As of Spring 2019, BC Soccer will undertake the league’s day-to-day operations.  BC Soccer President, Kjeld Brodsgaard says administering the league in house will help the association efficiently align with anticipated future initiatives from Canada Soccer:

“The BCSPL is the highest level of youth play in our province and an important piece within our development pathway. As we work more closely with Canada Soccer, it just makes sense for us to handle the day to day operation of the league.” BCSPLHeaderFinal1.jpg

BCSPL President, Alex Barnetson says everyone associated with the league is committed to long term growth and excellence:

“As we continue raising the standards of youth play and work more closely with BC Soccer and Canada Soccer in this regard, it was a natural progression, which was supported by the eight (8) founding franchise clubs.”

BC Soccer Executive Director, Jason Elligott noted that with the recent partnership between U-Sports and the Canadian Premier League, there has never been more opportunities for graduating BCSPL players:

“We are excited for the future of the BCSPL as we work more closely with Canada Soccer to align programming across the country which can only benefit the players, coaches, and referees in BC.”

The personnel currently supporting the league will continue in their roles and work directly with BC Soccer.In the near term, there are no current plans to increase the number of franchise clubs within the league. 

For more information on the BCSPL please visit www.bcspl.ca

About BC Soccer

BC Soccer is the provincial sport governing body with the mission to govern, promote and develop the game of soccer in British Columbia in a professional and progressive manner. Established in 1907, BC Soccer is the largest provincial sport organization (PSO) in BC and the third largest soccer specific PSO in Canada with over 150,000 participants.  As a professional not-for-profit society and a member of Canada Soccer, BC Soccer is committed to providing the widest opportunities for existing and potential participants, as well as provide support in the most effective and appropriate way for current players, parents, volunteers, member clubs, leagues and districts.

BC Soccer is comprised of more than 120,000 registered players, over 2,200 registered referees, and thousands of volunteer coaches, administrators and soccer leaders. Working with its 40 member Youth Districts and 11 Adult Leagues as well as their affiliate member clubs, BC Soccer operates under the guiding principles of Professional Leadership, Passionate Service and Progressive Collaboration. In managing its relationships throughout the larger soccer community, BC Soccer’s vision is to ensure every British Columbian has the opportunity to be involved in soccer as part of a lifelong commitment to active, health and involved lifestyle. 

It'll be interesting how the CanPL traverses the Whitecaps and whether purchase is even an option in BC.

Edited by PopePouri

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Spot on.  What a run TFC had with their injuries and weak back line though.. that 2-1 win away in Mexico was incredible when you think about it.  

I was cheering for them all the way and credit to them. But if they would have taken that Axel money(whatever his name was) and got a solid cb. They might have won the thing and would have been one of the best teams in the east last year regardless

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I was cheering for them all the way and credit to them. But if they would have taken that Axel money(whatever his name was) and got a solid cb. They might have won the thing and would have been one of the best teams in the east last year regardless

Akexte, yes.  I think management got cocky thinking they couldn’t miss - every signing was good for the last few years and then they picked up a bust.  To this day I don’t understand what role they saw him playing. 

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Akexte, yes.  I think management got cocky thinking they couldn’t miss - every signing was good for the last few years and then they picked up a bust.  To this day I don’t understand what role they saw him playing. 

It was a Carl Robinson signing. Just keep stock piling players who do the same thing

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

You are all aware that Aketxe is on loan to Cadiz and technically still under contract at TFC? So basically, when the season in Spain ends, he has every right to return to TFC if the loan deal is not extended or his contract is not bought out. As they are fighting for a promotion playoff that could affect things in June. Just saying.

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are all aware that Aketxe is on loan to Cadiz and technically still under contract at TFC? So basically, when the season in Spain ends, he has every right to return to TFC if the loan deal is not extended or his contract is not bought out. As they are fighting for a promotion playoff that could affect things in June. Just saying.

The contract was terminated by mutual consent according to Bez in the Toronto Sun.

Just saying!

Midfielder Ager Aketxe’s hefty contract, the biggest black mark on the resume of general manager Tim Bezbatchenko so far, was terminated “by mutual consent.” 

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/tfc-keeps-moor-morgan-makes-other-roster-moves

Edited by dbailey62

28 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

The contract was terminated by mutual consent according to Bez in the Toronto Sun.

Just saying!

Midfielder Ager Aketxe’s hefty contract, the biggest black mark on the resume of general manager Tim Bezbatchenko so far, was terminated “by mutual consent.” 

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/tfc-keeps-moor-morgan-makes-other-roster-moves

Well it was just a few weeks ago, so you'll forgive me, but thanks for the update.

In any case, he is not having a bad season on a 2nd div team with a strong top flight history that pulls in 15,000 a game.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well it was just a few weeks ago, so you'll forgive me, but thanks for the update.

In any case, he is not having a bad season on a 2nd div team with a strong top flight history that pulls in 15,000 a game.

That's great. Pleased for him. Under different circumstances and with more minutes, he might have worked out well here.

Any word on his court issues? Have they been put to rest yet or is he still facing potential jail time?