CPL General

https://www.thewhig.com/sports/local-sports/local-soccer-coach-part-on-new-national-soccer-league/amp

Good article. Mentions maximum of 7 internationals (I wasn't sure if that was official before). As well, it mentions that we have a former MLS scout in the CPL. I wasn't sure how much they were focussing on scouting, but this is promising.

6 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Want happened to the bi-monthly reports of the commish?

We had them in September, October, and November. So maybe they were supposed to be every other month (bi-monthly is ambiguous, whether you like it or not) but they just aren't spread out evenly :)

Sept. https://canpl.ca/article/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-ottawa-fury-cpl-roster-rules-and-more
Oct. https://canpl.ca/video/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-trialists-kit-partnership-with-macron-and-player-signings
Nov. https://canpl.ca/video/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-wrapping-up-open-trials-cpl-u-sports-draft-and-2020-expansion

This is all I could find. But yeah, if it meant "every other month" rather than "two times per month" then we got a bonus one in October and we should expect one this month.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

We had them in September, October, and November. So maybe they were supposed to be every other month (bi-monthly is ambiguous, whether you like it or not) but they just aren't spread out evenly :)

Sept. https://canpl.ca/article/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-ottawa-fury-cpl-roster-rules-and-more
Oct. https://canpl.ca/video/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-trialists-kit-partnership-with-macron-and-player-signings
Nov. https://canpl.ca/video/state-of-the-league-clanachan-on-wrapping-up-open-trials-cpl-u-sports-draft-and-2020-expansion

This is all I could find. But yeah, if it meant "every other month" rather than "two times per month" then we got a bonus one in October and we should expect one this month.

Semi-monthly would be twice a month, bi-monthly would be every two months.

Either that or my mortgage payments are going to start coming out twice a week. ? 

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Semi-monthly would be twice a month, bi-monthly would be every two months.

Either that or my mortgage payments are going to start coming out twice a week. ? 

It's best to stay away from terms like biweekly, bimonthly, semi weekly, etc. Although I can't seem to find a source giving two opposing definitions to the "semi" words (I did like 10 years ago), I still see it for the "bi" words.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/bimonthly/

And from google.

bi·month·ly
/ˌbīˈmənTHlē/
adjective

1. 1.
    done, produced, or occurring twice a month or every two months.

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

It's best to stay away from terms like biweekly, bimonthly, semi weekly, etc. Although I can't seem to find a source giving two opposing definitions to the "semi" words (I did like 10 years ago), I still see it for the "bi" words.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/bimonthly/

And from google.

bi·month·ly
/ˌbīˈmənTHlē/
adjective

1. 1.
    done, produced, or occurring twice a month or every two months.

@Gopherbashi : "what is this witchcraft?"

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Jesus Christ that seems overly-complicated, and having CPL teams enter alongside L1O & PLSQ (and beneath the Fury) is NOT a good look for the league.

Yeah I don't like that much at all. I also don't understand why the CPL clubs are split? Edmonton because they have played in past years at least makes a little sense... but why Winnipeg and Hamilton? Founding members?

Just now, Copes said:

Yeah I don't like that much at all. I also don't understand why the CPL clubs are split? Edmonton because they have played in past years at least makes a little sense... but why Winnipeg and Hamilton? Founding members?

They justified it by saying they were founded in 2017, while the others were founded in 2018.

Honestly, why not just do random-draw if you're getting to that point?

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

They justified it by saying they were founded in 2017, while the others were founded in 2018.

Honestly, why not just do random-draw if you're getting to that point?

I admittedly did not read the article in the tweet until after I posted. Thanks. Still pretty garbage reasoning. 

I know Ottawa being ahead of CPL is a one-year thing... but yeah, I don't love the look. 

1 minute ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Could have and should have easily been the 7 cpl teams with Ottawa and the two Div. 3 teams playing to get 5 winners joining the 3 MLS teams... This is too complicated, some CPL teams will need 10 games to win the Championship!

Yes. This model makes so much more sense. It'd have been so easy.

If they want to legitimize CPL as a Tier 1 League, CPL teams should definitely not be entering lower than the MLS sides. Sure, they'll likely get beaten, but A) it's year one, so whatever, and B ) it gets fans excited for a potential David-and-Goliath scenario. Doing this way is *not* the right way to start things off.

I posetd in the actual V Cup section, but will repost here because it si where much of the discussion is taking place...

There is so much that is baffling about that.

Why would the CPL teams start at different stages of the competition?

On what grounds do 3 of the CPL teams get passes into round 2?

Why would the Fury get a pass until round 3?

Why would Fury be put on par with the team (Impact) that is loaning them players not good enough for the first team?

Why would TFC get a pass right to the SF stage (are there any other competitions where a team gets a buy into the medal round)?

Why not...

L1O & PLSQ  playoff for one spot.

Winner of that plus 7 CPL plus Fury = 8 teams going to 4.

Those 4 plus Impact and Caps (TFC gets a buy due to defending champ) = 6 teams going to 3

Those 3 + TFC (this duplicates the idea of questionable idea of TFC getting a buy into the semis that I objected to above, but overall seems better than what was proposed) = 4 in the semis, and proceed and normal.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Why not...

Those 4 plus Impact and Caps (TFC gets a buy due to defending champ) = 6 teams going to 3

Those 3 + TFC (this duplicates the idea of questionable idea of TFC getting a buy into the semis that I objected to above, but overall seems better than what was proposed) = 4 in the semis, and proceed and normal.

Winner of L1OvPLSQ +7CPL+OFFC = 9 clubs, not 8.

They have outdone themselves in making the most convoluted plan possible. 

However I guess it is what it is for this year. Hopefully it levels out in future years because I don't think anyone is buying the logic. Maybe the three MLS teams and the Winner of the CPL get byes next year. Ottawa should absolutely not get any leg up in season 2 (of course its a moot point when they will be in the CPL by then anyway ;) )

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Why not...

I feel like they spent days locked in a room coming up with that plan and then someone rationale came in and said something logical like the above and now they are just too embarrassed to go back. "NO DAMNIT we stick to the original plan this took us forever to come up with!"

Missed opportunity - clearly the CSA is still bending over backwards for other parties.

I think any potential champion should need to beat at least 3 clubs to win.  Ottawa should not be in the 3rd round like why? They’ve literally won 1 round in the history of their involvement? 

How are we having our national body say a USL team is ahead of CPL?  Look at the signings rolling in - it’s a complete joke that teams in our league are disadvantaged because of that.

We should be forcing the MLS teams to run a gauntlet through CPL teams to maximize exposure, interest and revenue.

How is this not common sense?