CPL General

5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

A wood stadium would be a unique design and definitely standout so props to them for that. Like I said they seem to be the most ambitious of the CPL teams so far so I'm not surprised they are going to be the first announcement.

From what I've heard, it's a gorgeous looking stadium. Can't wait for the renderings

15 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

A wood stadium would be a unique design and definitely standout so props to them for that. Like I said they seem to be the most ambitious of the CPL teams so far so I'm not surprised they are going to be the first announcement.

Ottawa has a partially wood stadium (on the outside exterior of the south stand). I'd love if the PLC brands itself as the "greenest soccer league" or something. 

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « place td »

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Number I heard was 6000 break even, though the info I was given didn't say what the pricing was or how many home games there would be.

I think it'll be hard to put a specific number on the break even, as it will be variable based on ticket pricing in market, control of other revenues, local corporate sponsorship, and league wide revenues (national sponsors, TV rights).  I think Steven Sandor mentioned last year that with FCE's (lack of) corporate sponsors, they needed 8000 to break even.  If corp $ increased, the crowd break even level would drop.  I suspect there is a number that is floated around by the league to investors and that is likely in the 5000-6000 range.

I think it's not mentioned often here so I bring it up - one huge advantage the CPL will have is that they have the potential to get national sponsorships.  USL and NASL basically has no league wide corporate sponsorships - any corporate $ is generated by each team.  Every bit of $ matters at this level and it will undoubtedly help.

I know I heard some of the people involved with the CSB emphasize the Canadian Championship as a significant property/asset in terms of revenue generation. Which is interesting.

I'd have to imagine the MLS teams would also have to get a cut of whatever revenue they generate from that. And if they do it in the form of prize money for place finished CPL teams could be on the shorter end of the stick for a while.

20 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I know I heard some of the people involved with the CSB emphasize the Canadian Championship as a significant property/asset in terms of revenue generation. Which is interesting.

I'd have to imagine the MLS teams would also have to get a cut of whatever revenue they generate from that. And if they do it in the form of prize money for place finished CPL teams could be on the shorter end of the stick for a while.

MLS teams ill get a cut of revenue and doubt that there’s any prize money.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

57 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

On 26/04/2018 at 12:48 PM, deschamp86 said:

Perhaps we will get more of an idea as to the structure of the league, salary caps, foreign player quotas, etc.

I think the goal is to turn it into a significant property.  I would think the goal is make it the Canadian equivalent of the FA Cup.  Won't happen overnight, but the potential is there.

As far as MLS clubs getting a cut of revenue, they will get something for sure, but ultimately CSB will make the lion's share.  I guess the MLS clubs could choose to not participate if they don't like it, but right now, it's the only way they can qualify for the Champions League, so if they want a chance to get into that, they will have to go along with the terms as set out by CSB.

48 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

MLS teams ill get a cut of revenue and doubt that there’s any prize money.

I actually think prize money is a great idea and hope they consider it.  It does not necessarily need to be a massive amount - but as long as it's enough to provide an incentive for the really small clubs at the bottom of the pyramid.  Isn't that how it works in the FA Cup?  And I think that's the model CSB will try to use.

49 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope they intend to ban flares then. Visions of wood stadiums going up in smoke burning spectators alive in the UK back in the 1980's still linger......

Yeah, for all this talk about a wood stadium being progressive or whatnot, I just think that Greenpark is using the cheapest material they're used to using in houses.

56 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope they intend to ban flares then. Visions of wood stadiums going up in smoke burning spectators alive in the UK back in the 1980's still linger......

Yeah I fully expect a ban, although would be a tad ironic given the dude with the flare in the promotional video..

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Flares should be banned irregardless of stadium.  Its another stupid custom we dont need to emulate here.  

I think one of the selling points of the game is the atmosphere generated by soccer matches. I expect the league to take a more liberal approach to smoke and flares to help sell the league to millennials.

Some photos from the first leg of Al Classico. Attendance was 3205 on a cold and windy afternoon. Both of the main stands were mostly full, and lots of people stood around the fencing, although many people left at halftime and throughout the second half due to weather and the mismatch on the pitch. Even though I really want to brag about the result of the game, it was secondary to establishing a rivalry that will greatly benefit both a Calgary and Edmonton CPL club.

Being at the match has really reminded me of a love for the live game that has been so often forgotten about with all the negativity on this board. I like that I can walk through a rival's supporters section multiple times and get banter and a lot of laughs when I banter back. I like that I can run into the players of former parents and talk to them as if they are old friends. I like that players like Moses Danto and Bruno Zebie and Nathan Ingham come with us on the bus ride to the game. I think the community aspect of these clubs is paramount to growing the game when CPL launches.

Game on.

Db_k7M5UQAI-nmQ.jpg

Db_ExeKUwAEuvw_.jpg

Db_Dq-qVAAAOnhx.jpg

Db_KI5sUwAAqPcC.jpg

Db_fAegVMAAY51N.jpg

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I actually think prize money is a great idea and hope they consider it.  It does not necessarily need to be a massive amount - but as long as it's enough to provide an incentive for the really small clubs at the bottom of the pyramid.  Isn't that how it works in the FA Cup?  And I think that's the model CSB will try to use.

Yes, that is how it works in the FA Cup. But of course the FA Cup will have very significant non-ticket revenue, which perhaps the V Cup will not.

I believe that clubs share FA Cup match ticket revenue 60/40 (or 55/45?), with the home team getting a larger share to offset match-day expenses -- the idea being that ticket profits are divided roughly equally.

So, the clubs that play in the V Cup will always benefit from ticket revenue, leaving CSB to benefit from all other revenue sources. And if it chooses to use those sources to support the CPL in a general way rather than giving out anything more than a token amount as V Cup prize money, I'm fine with that. Although I do agree that in an ideal world the CPL will not need that financial support so that significant prize money could be awarded.

Some interesting stuff in this Dec 2017 article on the FA Cup, including the prize money breakdown and percentage of revenue the FA Cup provided for teams at different levels in the English football pyramid:

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/fa-cup-prize-money/

Edited by dsqpr

3 hours ago, johnluckpickherd said:

I think one of the selling points of the game is the atmosphere generated by soccer matches. I expect the league to take a more liberal approach to smoke and flares to help sell the league to millennials.

We want craft beer, organic snacks, bike parking and to pay via smartphone, not flares. 

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Number I heard was 6000 break even, though the info I was given didn't say what the pricing was or how many home games there would be.

Thanks...6,000 is a high number but as others have mentioned, other factors come into play which affect whether that figure needs to be lower or higher.  Regardless, even at 4,000-5,000, that is not an insignificant ask for certain communities.  Fingers crossed the marketing works.

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Thanks...6,000 is a high number but as others have mentioned, other factors come into play which affect whether that figure needs to be lower or higher.  Regardless, even at 4,000-5,000, that is not an insignificant ask for certain communities.  Fingers crossed the marketing works.

5,000 is the number I had in mind (that I was hoping they would budget for). More than that is risky, even for a big city like Winnipeg. And even 5,000 is somewhat iffy right now, IMHO.

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Possibly something.  He was involved in the Sask. group if I recall?

"Just when you thought you were out of the cryptic phase... they pull you back in!"

But in all seriousness we have an idea of the schedule for team announcements now...so I am skeptical this is much of anything. Unless it's going to be announcement of when an announcement is going to take place.

Hey not news related but just something to note about presentation. I came across this Vox video and I felt the need to post it here because I keep hearing people talk about game day experience attracting fans and I feel it undersells broadcast presentation, which is just as key to attracting fans. Whether on TV or streaming shit needs to be good and there is nothing more important to that presentation than the SOUND OF THE GAME.

So if you're interested in what makes games sound good take a watch.

AGAIN not CPL news but a video that offers a good idea of what is needed