CPL General

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

"Just when you thought you were out of the cryptic phase... they pull you back in!"

But in all seriousness we have an idea of the schedule for team announcements now...so I am skeptical this is much of anything. Unless it's going to be announcement of when an announcement is going to take place.

Like you said, I doubt it's team related given the countdown and what PB said.  I was thinking stadium related possibly.  It's been quiet on that front lately after they've been open in the past

Well this story got missed (unless I just don't remember it being posted), it's near the bottom  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/downtown-grocery-store-landbridge-city-1.4625285

• Soccer stadium also pitched 

Meanwhile, soccer player-turned investor Joe Belan has proposed that an arena be built in the area to host a Saskatchewan franchise for the Canadian Premier League.

The site has also been suggested as a potential location for a replacement for the aging SaskTel Centre, though it is not at the top of the list of preferred relocation sites, according to Sasktel Centre CEO Will Lofdahl.

The city is currently mulling how to respond to Arbutus' request and is expected to report back within the next couple months.

More than one councillor called the company's proposal "exciting" but acknowledged the many questions hovering around it.

Councillor Ann Iwanchuk pointed out that the city has yet to relocate its city yards to another area, making redevelopment of the current city yards site impossible at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Like you said, I doubt it's team related given the countdown and what PB said.  I was thinking stadium related possibly.  It's been quiet on that front lately after they've been open in the past

Yeah but I don't know why you'd do this seperate from the team announcement...espically if that is happening soon anyway.

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah but I don't know why you'd do this seperate from the team announcement...espically if that is happening soon anyway.

Who knows how their minds work lol.  If you make two announcements you get in the news twice I guess?  There's a hole in the CPL announcements so they can squeeze in here without overshadowing the presumed York 9 announcement next week.  Although right before I hit send I thought maybe it's another summer friendly like the Cosmos/Valencia game last year.  The good thing is we'll know tomorrow for sure what it is lol. 

33 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Who knows how their minds work lol.  If you make two announcements you get in the news twice I guess?  There's a hole in the CPL announcements so they can squeeze in here without overshadowing the presumed York 9 announcement next week.  Although right before I hit send I thought maybe it's another summer friendly like the Cosmos/Valencia game last year.  The good thing is we'll know tomorrow for sure what it is lol. 

And while I'm totally thinking about the tweet way too much lol, he never said it was Saskatchewan related.  I just started making the assumption with him tweeting it.  Could be another CPL announcement related to something else...

Just now, Rheo said:

And while I'm totally thinking about the tweet way too much lol, he never said it was Saskatchewan related.  I just started making the assumption with him tweeting it.  Could be another CPL announcement related to something else...

If even soccer related. 

On 4/21/2018 at 3:15 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Somebody replied to his tweet and said it was basketball related and that it was mentioned on CKOM radio. I went to the CEBL website (a new professional basketball league ) and there is a countdown  which is 15 hours from now. No news of announcements though. Who knows what this is...

1 minute ago, ThatDaveCh said:

If even soccer related. 

When someone replied and mentioned soccer he replied with "who said it had anything to do with soccer" with a winking emoji so I'm guess it does but who knows other than them lol

@LAK wait, what? There's another pro basketball league starting?

My guess is they're going to tap into the western market. Don't see how them and NBL Canada don't merge at some point though.

Edited by mpg_29

7 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

My guess is they're going to tap into the western market. Don't see how them and NBL Canada don't merge at some point though.

That was my thinking too...except CEBL will not play in the traditional basketball season. They want to avoid conflicts with hockey.

You know come to think of it though...14 hours from now is the middle of the night. I may be reading way too much into that. I guess we'll know tomorrow.

21 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

We want craft beer, organic snacks, bike parking and to pay via smartphone, not flares. 

Who's this "we" your talking about:D, lets not stereotype fooball/soccer fans as craft beer drinking, organic snack eating, bicycle riders. We're all types.

Many I know will want flares for the atmosphere it helps create over the likes of organic snacks and bike parking. Craft beer or simply good beer and flares sounds great though, think pay by smartphones is a given nowadays.

football-flares_1863615i.jpg

Edited by CDNFootballer

It's ironic because soccer fans have always been stereotyped the exact opposite way. Neanderthal, cheap larger drinking, pie eating fight starting anarchists. 

When did the stereotype skip normal to get to the other extreme? Of course as CDNfootballer says football takes all types and always has. 

Ps. All about having local breweries at games. Sponsorship opportubities and linking to the clubs goals to support the community aside, I grew up from a big real ale area so it's amusing and pleasing to see it boom to be so popular over here, regardless of what type of person you are. Could care less about the other things on the list though.

42 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's ironic because soccer fans have always been stereotyped the exact opposite way. Neanderthal, cheap larger drinking, pie eating fight starting anarchists. 

When did the stereotype skip normal to get to the other extreme? Of course as CDNfootballer says football takes all types and always has. 

Ps. All about having local breweries at games. Sponsorship opportubities and linking to the clubs goals to support the community aside, I grew up from a big real ale area so it's amusing and pleasing to see it boom to be so popular over here, regardless of what type of person you are. Could care less about the other things on the list though.

You missed out "pot bellied" but otherwise nailed it! And I have seen the beast for real (as have you, I am sure)!

Good that times have changed, on that front anyway.

11 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

There’s also Butch Carter’s CBL. How many fucking makeshift, barely professional basketball leagues do we need?

Edited by Macksam

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

There’s also Butch Carter’s CBL. How many fucking makeshift, barely professional basketball leagues do we need?

I think Butch's league is done. Also, I just checked the CEBL.ca website and it now is password protected all of a sudden. They must be in the middle of making changes. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think the announcement tomorrow will be a Saskatoon franchise in the CEBL...and just in case BBTB is reading this that yes the Canadian Premier League will launch in 2019 just like Paul Beirne said it would.

8 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Who's this "we" your talking about:D, lets not stereotype fooball/soccer fans as craft beer drinking, organic snack eating, bicycle riders. We're all types.

There tended to be plenty of first generation immigrant construction workers from places like Portugal or the former Yugoslavia any time I went to TFC games, but they usually don't make so much noise online as the group that is being stereotyped.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Definitely looks like it will be basketball given there is a password protected Saskatoon page on the CEBL website:

https://www.cebl.ca/saskatoon/

and various job opportunity links for the Saskatoon territory show up if you know where to look.

There's actually a password protected page for whatever is typed after www.cebl.ca/whatever/

I tried the same thing :)

7 hours ago, Macksam said:

I think we should be very careful at throwing stones at basketball in Canada.  I see some very striking similarities between where football/soccer and basketball are in this country.

27 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think we should be very careful at throwing stones at basketball in Canada.  I see some very striking similarities between where football/soccer and basketball are in this country.

One could argue we are further ahead in basketball than soccer...