CPL General

Hey Blizzard... please take this with the intended spirit.   I have always given you credit.  In the early days of TFC I learned from you and I appreciated your perspective.  I have defended you here and elsewhere when people have tried to shout you down.

You are a reasonable person, with a very valuable perspective!

I don't know if I have ever met you in person, and if I have I hope I have thanked you for the education because I do value what I have learned from you.  

Given all these things...I ask you to consider this:   You can help drive a positive discussion, or you can, well,  do the opposite.  In a normal situation your view, and especially your perspective (which is earned, unlike a lot of people on this board) is a valuable part of the discourse.  

But right now... this minute... We are at a critical point in our history.  Not just CPL... ALL OF CANADIAN SOCCER.  

I ask you to ask yourself:   "AM I ADDING TO THE CONVERSATION IN A POSITIVE MANNER?"  If the answer is yes then have at it! Move the conversation forward and educate the people here who are eager for information.  But if the answer isn't "no"...  then maybe... for a few days or weeks.... maybe suppress your opinions.  They are no less valid... but maybe don't type them out on this board.  Let's pretend everything is wine and roses and move the conversation forward.  Everyone here wants it.

Sincerely,

Paul

Edited by mlsintoronto

I'm really excited by today.

I'd be willing to call most of us on here not just hardcore but even a level above that. Today's news came in at about the scope I was expecting. I didn't feel a tweet and a website with a countdown was over-hyped. How much of the general public is following CPL tweets right now? Hype would be all-out on social media and some traditional media too.  I didn't expect much more than a website re-launch. We not only got a website re-launch but a taste of the marketing campaign. A lot of research and planning goes into a logo and add-campaign. I love the logo and like their messaging about their objectives. People will be clear about what this is.

We understand that they only get one shot at it, that they always have much more in-place or developing than they can talk about. They only announce a league and 2 teams when it has been ratified by the CSA meeting. They only announce a commish 4-5 months after he's been hired.  Under-promise, over-deliver. I like this approach. It gives me confidence ... as much as I'm dying to hear a lot more, a lot sooner.

Even knowing they are keeping things under-wraps out of necessity until it is time for the roll-out, recently, I've had a growing concern about not hearing more tidbits via discussions at city councils and the like about stadiums.  It's only a year out.  I would have expected a lot more of this kind of thing by now.  But today my confidence has gone way-up. Clearly the rollout is now truly underway.  I'm hoping/guessing after the next announcement it will be one announcement a week to get us 6-8 teams by mid June and the World Cup...

Yup, I'm over-the-moon excited.

Clanachan saying they are talking with 20 different communities/cities(article went as far to say as "they have narrowed down the inaugural class of franchises to 20 prospective cities") in that Score article is...definitely interesting. You'd have to tap out every 200K+ CMA in Canada to hit 20 communities/cities. Which I'd find somewhat unbelievable at this stage.  Either that or there is a multiple teams from the GTA and other larger centers. 

I don’t know if the Folks who know graphic arts/branding/illustration would be pro or con, but I like the new logo. It doesn’t immediately make me think soccer, but I’m not sure that it important for the corporate entity. At first glance, the Maple Leag doesn’t make me think of hockey (nor, in truth, has the team for most of the last 3 decade although things are looking up a bit currently). 

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

I think the new logo looks tremendous. I look forward to doing my part in building this league where it matters most, which is in the stands, starting with Al Classico on April 29 and May 5.

I hope everyone reading this is thinking the same.

Yes. I too will buy season tickets and merchandise for my team. 

Hang in there Longlugan, there are teams, they are real. ?

58 minutes ago, mlsintoronto said:

I don't know if I have ever met you in person, and if I have I hope I have thanked you for the education because I do value what I have learned from you. 

We met a few times and spoke at some length back in 2006 and 2007, including at Shoeless Joe's when you first met RPB and in the Wheatsheaf after the first ever TFC game. If I really wanted to be massively disruptive to what you are doing I would be blogging and tweeting all over social media at the moment rather than using this board, which has a fairly select clientelle and is no longer fully publicly accessible to non-registered users, as far as I am aware. Will hold fire for now on questioning the feasibility of the 2019 launch until after the World Cup given I suspect that is what is going through a critical phase right now, but see no huge harm in pointing out things like the advisability of having an ageing hasbeen from Serie A as a marketing move for a team based near Woodbridge given that revolves around ways to actually make it work.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

I don’t know if the Folks who know graphic arts/branding/illustration would be pro or con, but I like the new logo. It doesn’t immediately make me think soccer, but I’m not sure that it important for the corporate entity. At first glance, the Maple Leag doesn’t make me think of hockey (nor, in truth, has the team for most of the last 3 decade although things are looking up a bit currently). 

Graphic designers at work like it but said a lot of things going on .They prefer the all red version but it also looks like an Air Canada logo - maybe then the league can get them to sponsor it as the Air Canada Premier League.

4 hours ago, masster said:

A silly little article on potential teams and names, but it is nice to see something original on a TSN site, not just a Canadian Press article. Lets give it some clicks.

https://www.bardown.com/eight-cities-that-should-join-the-canadian-premier-league-and-some-suggestions-for-their-team-names-1.1070175

This may be one of the worst things I have ever read.

edit/ I'm happy the CPL is being written about on another website, but come on... The writer is clearly out of the loop and the team name ideas sound like they were submitted by a third grade class. 

Edited by BradMack

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

This may be one of the worst things I have ever read.

edit/ I'm happy the CPL is being written about on another website, but come on... The writer is clearly out of the loop and the team name ideas sound like they were submitted by a third grade class. 

Bardown tends to take more of a humorous approach to sports. They often talk about the pain of Toronto sports fans and how the rest of Canada doesn't care.

Nothing to be up in knots about.

4 hours ago, red card said:

Graphic designers at work like it but said a lot of things going on .They prefer the all red version but it also looks like an Air Canada logo - maybe then the league can get them to sponsor it as the Air Canada Premier League.

I am not a graphic designer but I am a fan and I really like the coloured version. I find it very striking and original and I like it better every time I look at it.

I don't understand all parts of the explanation of the embodied symbolism but I haven't tried too hard yet and the North Star is hard to miss: and definitely carries a "wow" factor for me, along with the striking "Northern Lights" colours. Definitely a cracking 35 yarder.

CPL 1 MLS 0.

Edited by dsqpr

23 hours ago, RickC said:

I wish I had a Hamilton CPL shirt to wear for tonight's Ligue 1 match, Montpellier va St Etienne. I think the French will have as much awareness of the CPL as Canadians do. We'll have to spread the word and expect a slow take up, but a year from now I expect to be at the first game in Hamilton.

You based in France? How much is shipping? I'll give you the shirt for free if you pay the shipping :)

so lately I've been very iffy on some things the league have "pitched" and moves but they fucking nailed that video. it's was beautiful and well done.

almost 50k views on twitter and 30k on fb is something to be excited about (note English numbers only). press from sportsnet, ctv, tsn , globe and the star is a big deal (as expected, as a result of last may, there's a lack of international news attention on this. seems like no espn, fox sports, sky sports ect.)

my one criticism of it is that they haven't done enough to promote Instagram and youtube and are greatly lacking on those platforms as a result but everything else looks good.

BTW don't know if posted yet but https://ussoccerplayers.com/2018/04/the-canadian-premier-league-takes-a-major-step.html

if you don't know that site it's the U.S. National Soccer Team Players Association, the union for the US MNT.

Edited by matty

20 hours ago, marauder01 said:

You based in France? How much is shipping? I'll give you the shirt for free if you pay the shipping :)

I wish! Based in Barrie, ON but will support Hamilton as I grew up there. At the match we went to, The Montpellier supporters had been great, setting off flares, waving flags and singing. But at about the 5 minute mark about half the St Ettiene fans rushed into their zone all at once. The rest came an masse at about the 20 minute mark. I suppose they do this so as to make a grand entrance. For the remainder of the match they were the loudest supporters I've ever heard. It never felt dangerous, lots of kids at the game, crappy old-style stadium, high level of football. The rivalries in our own league can help drive our games to have the intensity of Ligue 1 as we aspire towards the onfield quality.