CPL General

11 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Steph Labbé was denied a place on the Calgary Foothills in the PDL, because of her gender. 

Has anyone asked the CanPL if they'd accept a female player on one of their teams? I'd wager a few of our WNT players could crack the XI of some of the CanPL teams with relative ease. 

It would be a super progressive move, and would generate more press for the league. I'd be in favour of it. 

In the words of Mia Hamm herself.  "No way"

Apply this to anything else......  100M at the Olympics, wrestling, basketball, shot put, marathons, weight lifting, curling......

There is no conspiracy keeping women from competing with men, unless you want to call it biology.

31 minutes ago, admin said:

In the words of Mia Hamm herself.  "No way"

Apply this to anything else......  100M at the Olympics, wrestling, basketball, shot put, marathons, weight lifting, curling......

There is no conspiracy keeping women from competing with men, unless you want to call it biology.

Well technically in this specific case, PDL is keeping a woman from competing with the men.

Who's to say how she would stack up with the other Foothills keepers though. I doubt very much that she'd be the starter

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Well technically in this specific case, PDL is keeping a woman from competing with the men.

Who's to say how she would stack up with the other Foothills keepers though. I doubt very much that she'd be the starter

I wonder if that is a liability issue.  Every piece of data that people want to ignore when having these discussions would not be ignored by lawyers in a lawsuit.

There is a really interesting conversation to be had here relevant to canpl. That is how do we convince people to support anything that isn't Messi.  Be it cnwt, or the canpl.

A good race doesn't always need to be the fastest race ever.

11 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Doesn't fit with the countdown on the CanPL website, so think his sources may not have told him the full story. Hamilton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Edmonton are already CSA members, so no need for anything to happen at the CSA AGM where they are concerned for them to be able to launch next April. This weekend's events are more likely to revolve around "Port City", Calgary, York and Halifax being welcomed into CSA membership. The surprise for me after the website video thing was released last week was that the countdown only appeared to point towards the event we already knew about involving York 9, but as others have pointed out, if they can keep things under wraps at the AGM, they could do a series of announcements over the next few weeks. We'll see what unfolds.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

I wonder if that is a liability issue.  Every piece of data that people want to ignore when having these discussions would not be ignored by lawyers in a lawsuit.

There is a really interesting conversation to be had here relevant to canpl. That is how do we convince people to support anything that isn't Messi.  Be it cnwt, or the canpl.

A good race doesn't always need to be the fastest race ever.

Honestly, after attending a few games at the Women's World Cup in Montréal and Ottawa, I just about gave up on MLS and NASL (where Ottawa was playing in 2015). I liked it a lot more than the traditional soccer I was used to attending. 

I guess exposure is what we need. The lack of which is what everyone on this site has been complaining about since I joined a few months ago.

Agree with the comment on the race not needing to be fast only entertaining.  

13 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

So, I missed the announcement on the 8 teams. However, I noticed the name in the tweet was "Ottawa" and not "Fury". 

Who are Alferi's sources? I'd be curious to see with whom he has been speaking, and if it is PLC of OSEG that is leaky.  

Yeah but he didn't really use team names in any of the cases so not sure how much I read into that. ie He used Edmonton not FC Edmonton.

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

For Edmonton maybe...I don't think Ottawa really needs to though.

Ottawa doesn't need a full rebrand, but they definitely do need to be called something other than "Fury." Ideally something that actually has a speck of relevance to Ottawa, frankly even just Ottawa FC would be far better.

Edited by Zem

2 minutes ago, Zem said:

Ottawa doesn't need a full rebrand, but they definitely do need to be called something other than "Fury." Ideally something that actualy has a speck of relevance to Ottawa, frankly even just Ottawa FC would be far better.

Totally disagree. Change in name at this point would come across as amateurish and I think the name has significant market recognition.

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Totally disagree. Change in name at this point would come across as amateurish and I think the name has significant market recognition.

I think the other branding has just as much market regognition, and it doesn't change the fact that it's an atrocious name that sounds like it was thought up by an 8 year-old. A different name that actually had some kind of relevance to Ottawa would make up for whatever loss of brand recognition incurred by changing it.

And frankly having a name meant to appeal to kids that has nothing in particular to do with the city you want to represent already comes across as amateurish.

49 minutes ago, Zem said:

I think the other branding has just as much market regognition, and it doesn't change the fact that it's an atrocious name that sounds like it was thought up by an 8 year-old. A different name that actually had some kind of relevance to Ottawa would make up for whatever loss of brand recognition incurred by changing it.

And frankly having a name meant to appeal to kids that has nothing in particular to do with the city you want to represent already comes across as amateurish.

You believe starting fresh with a new name and brand will have the same recognition in the city as the Fury?  How does that work are they going to spend millions on an advertising campaign?

33 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You believe starting fresh with a new name and brand will have the same recognition in the city as the Fury?  How does that work are they going to spend millions on an advertising campaign?

I think both the Fury and FC Edmonton could benefit from a Columbus Crew style rebrand. Same name/colours/etc, but bringing the crest out of the minor leagues 

Edited by Complete Homer

50 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think both the Fury and FC Edmonton could benefit from a Columbus Crew style rebrand. Same name/colours/etc, but bringing the crest out of the minor leagues 

Frankly I think it's a missed opportunity if somebody doesn't use New England Revolution as an inspiration in their style...