CPL General

16 minutes ago, longlugan said:

To announce what...the first team? Wouldn't that be Winnipeg or Hamilton? So they'll announce the club logos for a team we already know exists. Big fucking whoop-dee-do. Then what...they reset the countdown clock so we can all stare it like sheep or cattle again? I've been eagerly anticipating the onset of this league essentially since the last one died in 1992. That's why I always called out BBtB because he thinks his negative viewpoints hold more weight because he was around back then and most on here weren't...but I was. And now to get led around by the nosehairs some more and hyping this shit endlessly with no actual newsworthy information is beyond frustrating. To all those directly involved with this league...stop insulting my intelligence and an all-inclusive 'Fuck You' to you all. I was planning to support my local team ( Hamilton btw) with season tickets but I think I'm going to just stick with my TiCat season tickets and watch TFC on tv.

As a CFL (ALS) supporter I'm glad you are a S/T holder but give the CPL another couple of weeks before dumping on them. After all, waiting all this time, what's a few more days?:):)  We need all the support we could get and you seem to me to be a CDN soccer supporter. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

As a CFL (ALS) supporter I'm glad you are a S/T holder but give the CPL another couple of weeks before dumping on them. After all, waiting all this time, what's a few more days?:):)  We need all the support we could get and you seem to me to be a CDN soccer supporter. Just my opinion.

I think a certain naysayer on here has somehow rubbed off on others!:) This is fantastic news in my opinion with much more to come, I am so pleased to see this league is actually happening, branding is one of the important first steps!

1 minute ago, MtlMario said:

Maybe I just need to be talked off the ledge Mario so I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate your kind words but I can't and won't believe I'm the only one that feels this way. TBH I expect to get roasted for my comment but someone must agree with me(anyone but BBTB  for god's sake)...this in my opinion is just getting ridiculous with these tiny snippets of insignificant info.

5 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Maybe I just need to be talked off the ledge Mario so I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate your kind words but I can't and won't believe I'm the only one that feels this way. TBH I expect to get roasted for my comment but someone must agree with me(anyone but BBTB  for god's sake)...this in my opinion is just getting ridiculous with these tiny snippets of insignificant info.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a little disappointed, but its really just due to excitement. I am most excited to find out about the league structure and to see players start being signed. But as Mario said, we've already waited this long already so a little while more isn't going to hurt. It is still almost a year before they will be playing their first game, so its better to spread the news out to keep the league in everyones' minds

14 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Believe me I understand your frustration ( I had to have my credit card surgically removed from my hand waiting to buy season tickets if a team is in my. area, or just buying merchandise of the league and teams). Give it a few more days and hopefully we'll all (except you know who) be happy.

Edited by MtlMario

I guess not everyone sees/understands the value of marketing. @longlugan mind you to us, or those who have been following CanPL from inception it's been long, so we've been yearning for information that when we hear it, we feel like we should already know.

But what about the people that don't come to this forum? There's news every month for them to get excited/interested about. 

My reality is, I've posted the TSN article in 3 of my soccer (team) what's app groups.... And only 2 people seemed slightly aware of this. 

Extended announcements gradually brings more awareness, maintains excitement, and builds reliability. 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Well they have on the site that the first club announcement is in 2 weeks. I'd say that its likely that we start getting a steady stream of information now. It makes sense to announce everything slowly rather in one big go. It keeps the league in the news and attracts casuals

It's actually the second club announcement after Hamilton and Winnipeg last year and if York 9 were to be the only addition made at the CSA AGM this year (May 4th-5th in Yellowknife, NWT apparently) it would definitely be underwhelming given they need 6 teams with 2 more in the pipeline at a minimum to launch 11 months from now. York 9 looks like a make weight operation that is unlikely to ever draw well similar to having the North York Rockets in as the eighth team in the original CSL to meet the requirements for having a TSN contract. Calgary and Ottawa are the franchises they really need to emerge from the shadows along with Edmonton city council ignoring the Eskimos and closing the Clarke Stadium primary tenancy deal.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I wish I had a Hamilton CPL shirt to wear for tonight's Ligue 1 match, Montpellier va St Etienne. I think the French will have as much awareness of the CPL as Canadians do. We'll have to spread the word and expect a slow take up, but a year from now I expect to be at the first game in Hamilton.

6 minutes ago, RickC said:

I wish I had a Hamilton CPL shirt to wear for tonight's Ligue 1 match, Montpellier va St Etienne. I think the French will have as much awareness of the CPL as Canadians do. We'll have to spread the word and expect a slow take up, but a year from now I expect to be at the first game in Hamilton.

I hear you but we still don't even know Hamilton's team name yet so I guess I'll just have to keep staring at endless countdown clocks like the rest of us.....Baaah.

As far as appreciation and understanding for marketing goes, I do understand but who was this countdown clock aimed at? It wasn't the general population because they weren't even aware of it (for the most part). It was us hardcore fans and like I stated earlier I feel insulted. A league logo and video are at the very bottom of my list of pertinent information. Anyways...is it too early to start drinking yet? I've been cooped up in my house for 6 weeks with a broken leg and am going shack-wacky so I think it's time to start cracking some Hacker-Pschorrs.

I think maximum exposure would be an official press conference releasing the logo, videos, talking about the leagues vision/structure and announcing the inaugural teams. That would be enough new info to push well into mainstream news.

I get the strategy of releasing stuff in drips over time as it keeps the news going but it is also more diluted. If teams are announced separately over time that may only really penetrate those local markets.

Of course if they run TV adds during the WC then that would also be a lot of exposure. I'm not sure what their budget is in that regards though...

Edited by mpg_29

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Why is the dude from Sauga City Collective featured in the video? Seems odd that they would be involved if there wasn’t going to be a team in Mississauga.

Why have women players in when there is no women's league at the moment?  It's an inclusion thing, supporters, players, coaches, executives, old, young, etc.  We are many, we are one :)

Plus Mississauga is closer to where it was filmed, so cheaper than flying someone in from say Winnipeg lol

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

To announce what...the first team? Wouldn't that be Winnipeg or Hamilton? So they'll announce the club logos for a team we already know exists. Big fucking whoop-dee-do. Then what...they reset the countdown clock so we can all stare it like sheep or cattle again? I've been eagerly anticipating the onset of this league essentially since the last one died in 1992. That's why I always called out BBtB because he thinks his negative viewpoints hold more weight because he was around back then and most on here weren't...but I was. And now to get led around by the nosehairs some more and hyping this shit endlessly with no actual newsworthy information is beyond frustrating. To all those directly involved with this league...stop insulting my intelligence and an all-inclusive 'Fuck You' to you all. I was planning to support my local team ( Hamilton btw) with season tickets but I think I'm going to just stick with my TiCat season tickets and watch TFC on tv.

LOL

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Why have women players in when there is no women's league at the moment?  It's an inclusion thing, supporters, players, coaches, executives, old, young, etc.  We are many, we are one :)

Plus Mississauga is closer to where it was filmed, so cheaper than flying someone in from say Winnipeg lol

Uhhhhhh... You really don’t see the difference between including women and including an existing SG member sporting the scarf of a group trying to attract a team?

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Should have had that Twitter award winning Wanderers SG scarf in there. :P

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

April 1st was a while back.  You have to be kidding here.

Image result for don't worry be happy

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

Uhhhhhh... You really don’t see the difference between including women and including an existing SG member sporting the scarf of a group trying to attract a team?

Poorly worded example on my part in an attempt to be funny.  Honestly beside the inclusionary part I believe the last part of my point is the biggest., easier for a supporter from a non-existing team than flying someone in from the only other confirmed team in Winnipeg.  

I like the logo and the explanation for it. There are supposed to be 4 more teams announced in early May at the AGM meeting and then I think things will really start to fly. To be honest, for me that's enough to get this thing started for the first year, with more teams being added after that. If they want this to be a league with mostly Canadians players (or a lot), they have to start slowly and surely anyway. There won't be enough to stock 10 teams by next year anyway - not to get the quality on the field to be of a high enough level that will make people come out in numbers high enough to sustain the league.

Edited by Gian-Luca

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Poorly worded example on my part in an attempt to be funny.  Honestly beside the inclusionary part I believe the last part of my point is the biggest., easier for a supporter from a non-existing team than flying someone in from the only other confirmed team in Winnipeg.  

Very true, I guess as a hardcore I wanted to see more of the “culture.” It would have been great to see a few of the actors repping some FCE or Halifax gear. 

Just watched it again and it’s really slick. I love how it has a very Canadian, snowy feel.

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Very true, I guess as a hardcore I wanted to see more of the “culture.” It would have been great to see a few of the actors repping some FCE or Halifax gear. 

Just watched it again and it’s really slick. I love how it has a very Canadian, snowy feel.

I don't think any of those people are actors.  Seems like it's all real people involved in the game somehow from what I've seen on Twitter.

As for the video I said that on Twitter, they hit the jackpot with the weather.  No way they could plan for that assuming it was scheduled well in advance.  Just sets the perfect tone for manifesto.  Even the background picture on the countdown clock was beautiful.

Edited by Rheo

Just now, Rheo said:

I don't think any of those people are actors.  Seems like it's all real people involved in the game somehow from what I've seen on Twitter.

As for the video I said that on Twitter, they hit the jackpot with the weather.  No way they could plan for that assuming it was scheduled well in advance.  Just sets the perfect tone for manifesto.  Even the background picture on the countdown clock was perfect.

I understand they’re not “professional” actors. I even recognized a few of the faces!