CPL General

3 hours ago, longlugan said:

Maybe I just need to be talked off the ledge Mario so I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate your kind words but I can't and won't believe I'm the only one that feels this way. TBH I expect to get roasted for my comment but someone must agree with me(anyone but BBTB  for god's sake)...this in my opinion is just getting ridiculous with these tiny snippets of insignificant info.

I too was underwhelmed by what was released because there was a countdown. That said, I understand the goal here is to get in the news as many times as possible in the run up to the World Cup, and also to try and leave the actually big news to be revealed closer to the World Cup, and further away from NHL playoffs. This accomplishes that. While the stuff they released today is important, and top notch quality I must say, it does seem underwhelming for us because we've been on here every day for years waiting to hear about teams, and know about some of them already that just havent been announced. But we have to remember that we are the minority and as much as we would like to be taken care of because we've somehow earned it by being dedicated Canadian soccer fans, it will be the casuals who will decide if this league is a success, so they must be pandered to. 

2 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

The biggest thing for me with this announcement is the countdown clock. No more "big announcement in 60-90 days". They have a plan and public commitment to make an announcement when that clocks winds down. I feel as though they won't want to risk missing any of those publically announced (via the countdown clock) deadlines. 

Yeah, my initial reaction when it was a logo and a commercial was that both those things were good, but I was a bit underwhelmed thinking this is the minimum they could have done. When someone pointed out the countdown to a team announcement that’s when I was no longer disappointed at all.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Why watch Giovinco close to downtown when you can see the next Andrea Lombardo at Keele and Kirby? 

So this is the kind of stupid bullshit you think you need to post, on a Canadian soccer supporters site, in a Canadian domestic league thread, after the single biggest unveiling to date.

You really are an ignorant asshole.

i hope everyone mutes this tool.  This was literally the first post I un-muted, and this is the kind of bullshit you think is helping things?  

^^^What this guy appears to have missed is that the emphasis in the promotional clip is very much on being a league for Canadians by Canadians. That means highlighting the sort of players that haven't been securing long term contracts in MLS terms since TFC launched like Andrea Lombardo about a decade ago. It would be nice to think that soccer people in the GTA will flock to see a GTA team focusing on local GTA talent, but the reality is that people in the GTA do not have a track record of doing that sort of thing over the last few decades, which makes a York Region team more difficult to market with a heavily Canadian roster than something like the Ottawa Fury. Rightly or wrongly some big name past his prime player from Serie A is still much more likely to get the Woodbridge crowd out, for example, than some local player that has played for the CMNT's U-20 team a few times and if the York Region team wants to make a splash that would probably be the best way to go about it.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Score article with some tidbits from Clanachan:

https://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1535210

According to CPL commissioner David Clanachan, the search for the inaugural class of franchises is down to 20 prospective cities, with more founding clubs set to be announced in the next couple of weeks.

"We are sticking to the idea that we will launch between eight to 10 teams, probably circling more around eight at this point and time, but you never know," Clanachan told theScore on Friday. "It depends on where people are in the process. As I talk about those 20 different communities and cities that we're dealing with it, everyone is at a different point in their process. We have to let that take its natural turn."

Clanachan expressed that the league is now looking to partner with ownership groups that have a "deeper understanding" of the developmental objectives the CPL aims to reach, while also highlighting a need for serviceable venues and a clear business plan from an operations standpoint. As he puts it, the CPL is "building a soccer industry" and the right owner is one who buys into that plan.

The league is quite obviously in its infancy stages, though Clanachan's five-year vision isn't a quiet one. He hopes to inspire lifelong "raving fans" who "claim ownership of the club in their area." He also hopes to see "deep rivalries" develop naturally, while targeting attendance in the 10,000-12,000 range.

Edited by mpg_29

4 hours ago, admin said:

“This is about Canada. It’s not about anybody else,” Montagliani said. “We will never build any equity in football if we don’t have our own league. This is what the CPL is all about.”

Absolutely 100% correct Vic!

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Patently absurd statement when there is no national league in hockey.

We do. It's called the NHL which was founded in 1917 in Montreal. The TRUE original teams were all Canadians. National stood for "Canada nationwide". We invited US cities afterwards and we know the results today, hoping we never do that again...

Let me know if you need the address to the nearest embassy. Seems like you're looking for a green card

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Patently absurd statement when there is no national league in hockey.

Football is very different. That is just the reality.

And on a facetious note: Ever heard of the National Hockey League? :D

Edited by dsqpr

4 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

how do you block people on here 

Menu (top right) --> Account --> Ignored Users.

Although you might want to consider whether it is a good idea to shut somebody down just because they have a different opinion. Differing opinions are the lifeblood of healthy debate. Personally, I only tend to shut people down when they are a$$holes.

6 hours ago, longlugan said:

Please explain to me, someone who has been following this whole process from the very beginning, what it is about today's announcement that is  supposed to impress me so much as to bring tears of joy to my eyes.

Yeah, tears are a bit much, but actually, publicly, finally getting started is an important milestone.