CPL General

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Caught most of this. Nothing too new. 

-schedule will be June to October 

-once they announce the first team May 10 they will be going one a week

Well that schedule is definitely something new. Definitely starting later/shorter overall than some of us expected. Basically a direct copy of CFL season..

There *should* be no early season bad weather attendance issues if you are starting in June.

Would prefer April/May to get a lead on CFL. While there is little way around it I am concerned about picking up casuals. Works both ways if the product doesn't deliver though and could play fans back into CFL attendance.

Could well be June to October while the teams are fewer. End goal might be April start when they have enough teams to stretch the season. 

25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Would prefer April/May to get a lead on CFL. While there is little way around it I am concerned about picking up casuals. Works both ways if the product doesn't deliver though and could play fans back into CFL attendance.

[Puts on conspiracy hat] The CFL based owners in the league pushed for a June start for that very reason..

Edited by mpg_29

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

So 20ish games for the first season??  8 teams, each play the other 7 clubs 3X, equals 21 games.  Something like that??  

So possibly :

8 clubs maybe 21 or 27 games

9 clubs 24 or 32 games

10 clubs 27 games

My guess is they will have 9 clubs for the 2019 launch and play 24 games.

Hope they play weekends only or mainly as weekday games will drive the average attendance down.

Edited by CDNFootballer

7 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

So possibly :

8 clubs maybe 21 or 27 games

9 clubs 24 or 32 games

10 clubs 27 games

My guess is they will have 9 clubs for the 2019 launch and play 24 games.

Hope they play weekends only or mainly as weekday games will drive the average attendance down.

We I came up with in the schedule thread based on a 10 team league and accounting for the three FIFA dates;

Starting April 20 and ending October 26 would require 2 midweek regular season games.

Now how do we incorporate V Cup games?

10 CPL teams, 2 MLS teams, League1 and QSL teams play down in 7 round 1 games,

Reigning champion enters in round 2 with 7 round 1 winners,

4 round 2 winners,

2 round 3 winners in the final.

So that would be 4 midweek V Cup games plus 2 midweek regular season games. 27-30 total games plus friendlies. 13-16 home/road games. 24 weekend games, 3-6 midweek games. 

I’ve been mostly lurking on the CPL threads and without going through 212 pages, has anyone done a financial/sensitivity analysis of the break even point in attendance for a team assuming a 24 game schedule (minimum 12 home dates) and a reasonable playing budget?  I was trying to run numbers in my head during the day and I became a little bit less optimistic and wondering if it was just my accountant and business side coming out.

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I’ve been mostly lurking on the CPL threads and without going through 212 pages, has anyone done a financial/sensitivity analysis of the break even point in attendance for a team assuming a 24 game schedule (minimum 12 home dates) and a reasonable playing budget?  I was trying to run numbers in my head during the day and I became a little bit less optimistic and wondering if it was just my accountant and business side coming out.

A few things to remember 

According to Nipun Chopra's breakdown, USL owners that don't own their own stadium tend to get roughly 50% of their income from gate, 50% from sponsorship 

Since most CPL owners will own their own stadium (at least from what we know), factor in stadium naming rights, concessions, revenue from other events, etc

Then throw in whatever cut they get from CSB from selling the Voyageurs Cup tv rights, CMNT/CWNT games, etc

Edited by Complete Homer

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

A few things to remember 

According to Nipun Chopra's breakdown, USL owners that don't own their own stadium tend to get roughly 50% of their income from gate, 50% from sponsorship 

Since most CPL owners will own their own stadium (at least from what we know), factor in stadium naming rights, concessions, revenue from other events, etc

Then throw in whatever cut they get from CSB from selling the Voyageurs Cup tv rights, CMNT/CWNT games, etc

The revenue from concessions, beer, parking, and stadium naming rights is an important aspect contributing to a clubs sustainability so good to see that in cases where clubs don't own their stadium CPL is pushing for the clubs to have agreements that give them that revenue.

12 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Number I heard was 6000 break even, though the info I was given didn't say what the pricing was or how many home games there would be.

On the last episode of the Vocal Minority podcast http://vocalminority.ca/episode-230-18-04-26-starfucker/ someone leaked to them the press book for the York 9 that the Soccer Today guys had for their Two Solitudes pod last week and they went over it (starts about 1:22 mark for the York 9 stuff, with some general talk about five minutes before) 

• Stadium will at Keele and Teston.  Fully roofed all around.  Made of wood from sustainably managed forests.  Production and installation of the stadium requires low energy consumption, lessening the carbon footprint .  15,000 seat.
  • Book really stresses the eco-friendly nature of the team
  • Inspiration of the crest, the nine cities and towns in the region and the trillium flower.  League Gothic is the official font of the team (which is used in the logo)
  • Name inspired but the nine cities as well but also for the attacking nine, club is forward thinking
  • Green chosen for the York regional forest, protected lands across the community as well as the name association with the ownership grown (Greenpark homes)
  • The Black Creek River inspires the other colours, charcoal grey and black on black.

29 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

The York team definitely seems to be the most ambitious in terms of going from scratch to what they have planned. But man the framing everything from an environmental angle is like a corporate way of of saying "Hey, did you hear I'm vegan now?"....which is a bit annoying.

It works. I work in the environmental industry (principally in renewables), and it sells. People want to go to a place that is “green”, as it’s easier than changing their own lifestyles.

34 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

The York team definitely seems to be the most ambitious in terms of going from scratch to what they have planned. But man the framing everything from an environmental angle is like a corporate way of of saying "Hey, did you hear I'm vegan now?"....which is a bit annoying.

Or it could be earnest? The guy is in the construction industry. If Greenpark is known for this kind of thing (not that I would know) it seems fair to give the benefit of the doubt

If both Teston and Kirby are both getting mentioned, I guess Vaughan Soccer Club could be the location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8810161,-79.5212579,1489m/data=!3m1!1e3

The ecofriendly all wood stadium thing has also been talked about in the UK in recent years:

https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/news/first-team-news/2016/winning-stadium-design-announced

Does being in a bad location for transit not negate any green angle related to the stadium in carbon footprint terms?