CPL new teams speculation

4 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

People from Windsor definitely support Detroit teams in high numbers but it won't work the other way around.

Plus Detroit has a well supported lower division team who has now moved up to USL Championship. Detroit City is an example of a success story dating back to their days in NPSL. The city has its own team to support. 

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this. I was about to bump the "Moncton to join CPL by 2018" thread..

Interesting choice of cities for Sunderland u23s to be playing games:

- Regina    vs TFC II

- Moncton    vs CF Montreal U23

- Charlottetown   vs CF Montreal U23

Wonder if there are any more games lined up elsewhere? Seem like good tester markets for CPL. 

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Glad I found this. I was about to bump the "Moncton to join CPL by 2018" thread..

Interesting choice of cities for Sunderland u23s to be playing games:

- Regina    vs TFC II

- Moncton    vs CF Montreal U23

- Charlottetown   vs CF Montreal U23

Wonder if there are any more games lined up elsewhere? Seem like good tester markets for CPL. 

Not that the CPL couldn't use it for test marketing, but I suspect it's more about Montreal trying to extend their fan base than something directly CPL related.

Edited by Watchmen

I was curious to know who the promoter or organizer for these games is, and the last line of the article says this:

All preseason matches in Canada between CF Montréal and Sunderland AFC were made possible by On Ice Entertainment and their Match Agent partners, Pro Soccer Consulting Ltd.

Do we know anything about these companies? 

Remember the time that Sunderland was newly promoted and they played the Caps at Swangard and Carlo Corrazzin scored a brace (maybe hattrick) and we won 3-1? That was a good day. IIRC Sunderland went on to have one of the worst seasons in  Premier League history. I guess they aren't superstitious. :)

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Remember the time that Sunderland was newly promoted and they played the Caps at Swangard and Carlo Corrazzin scored a brace (maybe hattrick) and we won 3-1? That was a good day. IIRC Sunderland went on to have one of the worst seasons in  Premier League history. I guess they aren't superstitious. :)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/whitecaps-vs-sunderland-r.220687/

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I remember they also played Seattle and Portland during that trip, and brought along a number of supporters for the trip.  Their supporters hobnobbed with Portland and Seattle supporters pre-match, but when looking at the Southsiders pre match "tailgate" in Central park, decided we were too scary to socialize with!

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I have doubts about Moncton as a market, but that stadium would be one of the most suitable stadiums for CPL. I kinda wish that was in Haliafax at Wanderers ground, to be honest. Or Winnipeg for that matter, rather than playing in a cavernous 33k seat CFL Stadium. 

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think On Ice Entertainment's president John Graham was linked in some way to Joe Belan's earlier efforts to secure a Saskatchewan team:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-graham-35068178/?originalSubdomain=ca

so these may be extra fixtures tacked onto the Regina game.

https://thestarphoenix.com/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-pro-soccer-maybe-auto-racing-theres-plenty-on-john-grahams-saskatchewan-menu

He was also involved in that Packers-Raiders game at IG Field in Winnipeg a couple summers ago as a promoter

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have doubts about Moncton as a market, but that stadium would be one of the most suitable stadiums for CPL. I kinda wish that was in Haliafax at Wanderers ground, to be honest. Or Winnipeg for that matter, rather than playing in a cavernous 33k seat CFL Stadium. 

It's actually more like a CFL stadium. Stands are far away. Open ends. It was built with a track as it hosted at least couple of world junior athletics championship. For WWC 15, watching it on tv with increased capacity, it had the worst stadium atmosphere amongst the host cities. But looked really good when CFL held games there.

So, a lateral to backwards move for Valour and a backwards move for HFX.

7 hours ago, Kingston said:

Yeah, a lot of people say Kelowna when they mean Langley.  Happened with my cabbie the last time I was leaving Vancouver airport.  Common mistake.

I don't remember the Kelowna part tbh. I think that would have stuck out. Maybe I was dozing. I'm almost certain he said another Greater Toronto/Ontario team is potentially coming though. That was the one that was notable to me. He did say BC and Windsor, then mentioned another GT was a possibility. 

I really surprised this hasn’t been mentioned (unless I’ve missed it) but listening to the latest Footy Prime pod and they had the president of the Blizzard on as they’ve sign a partnership with Bayern Munich. Apparently part of the agreement is investment in facilities with the aim to get a club in the CPL. 

Here is the news story from Bayern Munich. 

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2022/05/fc-bayern-and-toronto-blizzard-partnership

^^^doesn't actually say anything that suggests FC Bayern's interest extends beyond the youth academy angle:

..."We've seen first-hand the incredible talent coming from Canada," commented FC Bayern Munich Campus director, Jochen Sauer. "Our partnership with Toronto Blizzard will allow us to share our coaching philosophy as well as identify and help develop young talent in Toronto. We look forward to introducing this partnership to the province of Ontario with the Toronto Blizzard," he added.

FC Bayern Munich and Toronto Blizzard coaches will be in constant communication, with weekly conference calls to assess developments. Together they will develop innovative models and opportunities to ensure talented young players have a pathway in soccer.

Toronto Blizzard continues to work towards returning as a professional club in the Canadian Premier League and the National Women's Soccer League.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^doesn't actually say anything that suggests FC Bayern's interest extends beyond the youth academy angle:

..."We've seen first-hand the incredible talent coming from Canada," commented FC Bayern Munich Campus director, Jochen Sauer. "Our partnership with Toronto Blizzard will allow us to share our coaching philosophy as well as identify and help develop young talent in Toronto. We look forward to introducing this partnership to the province of Ontario with the Toronto Blizzard," he added.

FC Bayern Munich and Toronto Blizzard coaches will be in constant communication, with weekly conference calls to assess developments. Together they will develop innovative models and opportunities to ensure talented young players have a pathway in soccer.

Toronto Blizzard continues to work towards returning as a professional club in the Canadian Premier League and the National Women's Soccer League.

Listen to the podcast. 

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I really surprised this hasn’t been mentioned (unless I’ve missed it) but listening to the latest Footy Prime pod and they had the president of the Blizzard on as they’ve sign a partnership with Bayern Munich. Apparently part of the agreement is investment in facilities with the aim to get a club in the CPL. 

Here is the news story from Bayern Munich. 

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2022/05/fc-bayern-and-toronto-blizzard-partnership

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't got to that episode yet. I'm still only half way through the newest Northern Futbol 

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess there were rumours about Bundesliga interest in the GTA a while back and the GTA was apparently mentioned as an expansion possibility at the Saskatoon event.

Wasn't there also Bundesliga angles with the Vancouver CPL club, from over a year ago? We heard Werder Bremen. Then there is the Bayern Munich angle. 

I would not be surprised if Friend, having successfully branded the club "Vancouver", would then take that and seek out a partnership--some minority role, a development role, or just a minority %-- with a Bundesliga club, since he also has connections there.