CPL new teams speculation

7 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I really surprised this hasn’t been mentioned (unless I’ve missed it) but listening to the latest Footy Prime pod and they had the president of the Blizzard on as they’ve sign a partnership with Bayern Munich. Apparently part of the agreement is investment in facilities with the aim to get a club in the CPL. 

Here is the news story from Bayern Munich. 

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2022/05/fc-bayern-and-toronto-blizzard-partnership

So the current incarnation of the Blizzard are just women's youth teams?

If this Toronto Blizzard plan is to field a team in the CPL and NWSL, where would they play?

Lamport Stadium

Woodbine Stadium (where York United will be relocating to)

Birchmont Stadium (East End of Toronto)

As well would TFC allow another team with Toronto in its name to play in the CPL?

1 hour ago, brianjc said:

If this Toronto Blizzard plan is to field a team in the CPL and NWSL, where would they play?

Lamport Stadium

Woodbine Stadium (where York United will be relocating to)

Birchmont Stadium (East End of Toronto)

As well would TFC allow another team with Toronto in its name to play in the CPL?

TFC would have no say. 

The president said on the pod that they were looking for land around one of the major 400 series highways in Toronto but land is difficult to come by so they could look at York. I got the sense that this is all a little later down the line. 

On 6/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, narduch said:

Don't think TFC can stop someone from doing that.

Whether it be a success is another story 

The only way they would be a success if CFG was to put a team there and pump money into the team. And with that to happen the CPL would have to alter there rules. 

In that state:

Lamport would make a statement, and would need substantial upgrades.

Birchmounts  accessibility isn’t that great, but the lot has potential. Any development there would have to find/create a new space for all the throwball that is consistently played there.

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

The only way they would be a success if CFG was to put a team there and pump money into the team. And with that to happen the CPL would have to alter there rules. 

In that state:

Lamport would make a statement, and would need substantial upgrades.

Birchmounts  accessibility isn’t that great, but the lot has potential. Any development there would have to find/create a new space for all the throwball that is consistently played there.

I wonder if you could put temp bleachers on the running track at Varsity 

Guess the curling club is in their sights to provide parking, which is lacking in that part of Kelowna:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8976803,-119.4891368,1388m/data=!3m1!1e3

Paul Beirne was talking about Kelowna w/ Penticton as a target market during podcast interviews back around 2018 so may go way back. Personally think this is the sort of city they should be thinking about if they downscaled a bit with more of a regional bus league format in mind. Having Kelowna on board is a bit of a stretch if the goal is to be a soccer clone of the CFL.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess the curling club is in their sights to provide parking, which is lacking in that part of Kelowna:

Paul Beirne was talking about Kelowna w/ Penticton as a target market during podcast interviews back around 2018 so may go way back. Personally think this is the sort of city they should be thinking about if they downscaled a bit with more of a regional bus league format in mind. Having Kelowna on board is a bit of a stretch if the goal is to be a soccer clone of the CFL.

Kelowna would be a great place to put a club.  It's good they are not looking at the Crapple Bowl as a stadium.  Not sure why Kelowna would be considered a bit of a stretch.

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Will you fuck off with your bus league bullshit. This is a rhetorical question btw.

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

Kelowna would be a great place to put a club.  It's good they are not looking at the Crapple Bowl as a stadium.  Not sure why Kelowna would be considered a bit of a stretch.

Agree that Kelowna would probably do well compared to some of the teams in larger markets like York United and FCE right now. It's a metro area of 220,000 only when Penticton is factored in though, which isn't exactly next door, so not an easy fit for a big budget D1 type business model that emulates the CFL. Three out of eight currently play in huge CFL stadia but do you conceivably ever need 20,000+ seats once markets like Kelowna are involved? Never been fully clear what the end game is with CanPL.

Doubt it adds much to what we already know but here's Northern Tribune's take:

Although it's not stated the ownership group could be Dean Shillington and Rob Friend again given they are rumoured to hold territorial rights to all of BC.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Agree that Kelowna would probably do well compared to some of the teams in larger markets like York United and FCE right now. It's a metro area of 220,000 only when Penticton is factored in though, which isn't exactly next door, so not an easy fit for a big budget D1 type business model that emulates the CFL. Three out of eight currently play in huge CFL stadia but do you conceivably ever need 20,000+ seats once markets like Kelowna are involved? Never been fully clear what the end game is with CanPL.

Doubt it adds much to what we already know but here's Northern Tribune's take:

Although it's not stated the ownership group could be Dean Shillington and Rob Friend again given they are rumoured to hold territorial rights to all of BC.

Friend wasn't born in Kelowna but grew up there. 

The area could do with a proper stadium. I have no idea of that demographic would watch matches though.

At least the airport is doing better and getting flights from more and more Canadian cities.

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Friend wasn't born in Kelowna but grew up there. 

The area could do with a proper stadium. I have no idea of that demographic would watch matches though.

At least the airport is doing better and getting flights from more and more Canadian cities.

Could be a nice pull for the summer tourist crowd.  Would sure be a beautiful setting. 

Vernon is closer than Penticton so might as well consider that also.

It's anecdotal but as someone who has lived in Kelowna it certainly seems true. They say the population of the Okanagan doubles in the summer. Schedule Cavalry, Edmonton, Saskatoon games in July and August and your likely to have some stadium takeovers

There are 3 regional districts in the Okanagan and in 2019 it was around 400k. You could reasonably call that your target market. In the summer there are definitely a couple more 100k bumping around the area. Wish I was getting married all over again stag/footie match in Ktown would definitely be on the agenda

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Vernon is closer than Penticton so might as well consider that also.

It's anecdotal but as someone who has lived in Kelowna it certainly seems true. They say the population of the Okanagan doubles in the summer. Schedule Cavalry, Edmonton, Saskatoon games in July and August and your likely to have some stadium takeovers

There are 3 regional districts in the Okanagan and in 2019 it was around 400k. You could reasonably call that your target market. In the summer there are definitely a couple more 100k bumping around the area. Wish I was getting married all over again stag/footie match in Ktown would definitely be on the agenda

Be careful what you wish for 😉

Yeah I'd say the season ticket population to draw from is 400k, there will be a couple hundred soccer hardcores from penticton, vernon, etc willing to do 14 home dates.  walkup/casual base lopulation won't be 400k but will be increased by tourists if its in the right place.

I think success will come down to stadium location.  North end right in the middle of about 8 craft breweries and walkable from downtown and it will be busy if not packed in the summer with a bar feel. The amount of day to day foot traffic down there and ppl looking for something to do with all the tourists in summer is busier than any single spot I've see in much larger prairie cities outside of festival days.

But I would be really surprised to see them get that spot, the ball diamonds can be moved cheaply but leveling the curling club would not land well in the broader community and would be a ton of money to replace.

They should look at other options if it's just parking they are after and leave the curling club alone.  a parkade, a lot a bit further away, etc.  Would get way more traction.

Edited by Footscray

Given that Atletico Ottawa were announced in January 2020 and took part in the Island Games that took place in August 2020, What do you think the chances are of Toronto Blizzard joining next season?

I mean, the Island Games were 8-9mths after Atletico Ottawa were announced and the 2023 season is a little over 11mths away. If Bayern were to put up the funds for a stadium or secure an existing one, it could be achievable, right? Sure, Atletico Ottawa had the stadium that Ottawa Fury had, but Bayern could sort something out.

4 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Given that Atletico Ottawa were announced in January 2020 and took part in the Island Games that took place in August 2020, What do you think the chances are of Toronto Blizzard joining next season?

I mean, the Island Games were 8-9mths after Atletico Ottawa were announced and the 2023 season is a little over 11mths away. If Bayern were to put up the funds for a stadium or secure an existing one, it could be achievable, right? Sure, Atletico Ottawa had the stadium that Ottawa Fury had, but Bayern could sort something out.

The sense I got from listening to the interview with the president of the buzzard is that joining the CPL is a long term goal. 

14 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

The sense I got from listening to the interview with the president of the buzzard is that joining the CPL is a long term goal. 

Yeah, it was also mentioned on the statement on Bayern's website wasn't it? Don't they also want a team in the Women's league too? You can't help but wonder though, Atletico Madrid go straight in to the CPL yet Dortmund rebrand Waterloo and Bayern take a team that, to my knowledge, aren't even in a league currently. Why? Do Dortmund and Bayern have a real long term plan or something?