CPL new teams speculation

8 hours ago, Kingston said:

I hope L1O changes the policy of teams having to enter at League 2.

Also, if we imagine a time when all the L1O Premiere clubs are ECFC types, it means one ambitious club will get relegated to the "we just want to be semi-pro" division each year to make room at the top for a club that doesn't necessarily share that ambition.  This is the down side of pro/rel.

But the upside is that the ECFC type that finds itself in the 2nd tier can push other teams to be better. If it becomes a real problem, they could always just make there be a playoff between the teams potentially getting promoted/relegated.

If you are going to have promotion and relegation, I don't think it makes much sense to allow teams to enter higher up in the pyramid.

"Ah crap. My team just got relegated. Hey league, my team folds and now I'm going to start a new team. Can I get back in the top tier please?"

On 2/18/2022 at 2:04 PM, Kingston said:

I hope L1O changes the policy of teams having to enter at League 2.

Also, if we imagine a time when all the L1O Premiere clubs are ECFC types, it means one ambitious club will get relegated to the "we just want to be semi-pro" division each year to make room at the top for a club that doesn't necessarily share that ambition.  This is the down side of pro/rel.

The Korean league has promotion and relegation but I recall a team in the second division not meeting certain standards for the top division, and they couldn’t/weren’t willing to upgrade their facilities, so they just asked to be kept in the second division again. I’m not saying this is ideal but it happens around the world sometimes. Not the end of the world and the system remains in place for ambitious clubs to move up the pyramid. 

12 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

The Korean league has promotion and relegation but I recall a team in the second division not meeting certain standards for the top division, and they couldn’t/weren’t willing to upgrade their facilities, so they just asked to be kept in the second division again. I’m not saying this is ideal but it happens around the world sometimes. Not the end of the world and the system remains in place for ambitious clubs to move up the pyramid. 

Most systems include standards for stadiums that means a team can win promotion but not be promoted.

2 hours ago, ted said:

Most systems include standards for stadiums that means a team can win promotion but not be promoted.

Absolutely. My point was to share and example of how promotion and relegation can still work despite the concerns Kingston had about different clubs and their ambitions for pro soccer. 

On 2/19/2022 at 2:03 AM, gigi riva said:

Electric city means bussiness. Good for them  the more clubs the better  I say 

Hopefully they play their home games in Peterborough unlike Barrie 1812 that started with all that hype before a ball was kicked then ended up playing their games in Brampton and other Toronto area locations. Let’s hope this Peterborough team is the real deal , for the sake of soccer in Ontario and the country .

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think this list places way too much emphasis on the GTA and outer suburbs of Montreal, but it appears to be from a former CanPL employee:

Nothing on this list outside of Ontario and Quebec.  Admittedly majority of expansion is likely to be in those 2 provinces but how about Moncton, Regina, Kelowna...

4 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Nothing on this list outside of Ontario and Quebec.  Admittedly majority of expansion is likely to be in those 2 provinces but how about Moncton, Regina, Kelowna...

What did this guy do?  Name every Toronto suburb and throw darts at a Canadian map.  Granby?? Cornwall?? Gatineau??  Hell they would be lucky to get a Tier 3 team.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

12 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

What did this guy do?  Name every Toronto suburb and throw darts at a Canadian map.  Granby?? Cornwall?? Gatineau??  Hell they would be lucky to get a Tier 3 team.

It's like he drove down the 401-A20 and picked the largest towns on the same highway. No knowledge of anywhere else in Canada.

I think he took the percentage of people in the town that have some sort of official affiliation with a soccer club, like being registered with a club, and multiplied it by the towns population. That's the only semi logical reason one could omit a city as big as Saskatoon (given the relatively low percentage of the population involved with the sport) while still considering effing Cornwall.

Quebec will only happen when there's a viable ownership group and plan in that market. Hopefully happens sooner rather than later but it may take years for a CPL club to come to fruition there.

Kelowna is on the priority list for 2023 BC League1 expansion, would be interesting to see how a club in that league would do in that market. Think they would be more suited to an eventual CPL D2 league instead of the Division 1 CPL.

Edited by CDNFootballer