Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

A few observations.  

Shaff always had speed so it is good to see he is still faster than most and knows how to use it.  

I know Mukhtar will never win the ballon d’or but he is an experienced vet who is at the highest level of MLS play.  Being able to play with and learn from a guy like that in terms of attacking play has obviously been going well for Jacob. 

Great to see the composed finish.  Shaffelburg from a couple of years ago may have just hit and hope.   Now he assesses the situation at full speed and slots it in at the near post.  

Lastly, it really seems like he is loved at the club by his teammates.  That wasn’t a stoppage game-winner it was an insurance goal extremely deep in injury time.  But he was ecstatic and then got mobbed by his teammates.  Great to see.   

Biased because he is an east-coaster but I am loving the success he is having.  He better get called into one of the two squads this summer.  He deserves a call up.  

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Good player and improving, but we're deep at his position.  

As much as I want to win cups, I think we need to rest our starters at the GC to see who can step up.  

As much as I want to do this...I also want to takeover, and the opportunity is there.
I do think through rotation we will see a larger pool to pick from in preparation for the real test which is next summer.

I think Schaffelburg has to be right on the edge of being called, but he was healthy and available last window and no call came. Missing any of Davies, Buchanan or Hoilett could change things, but Nelson may be closer to the squad than Jacob is. If I am not mistaken, it was decided between him and the coaching staff that he skip to focus on Rosenborg. Was the same conversation had with Schaffelburg? Because if not Nelson seems to be ahead of him. Much as I love what he's doing down in Nashville, Nelson probably has the higher ceiling and he can play outside and inside, so if Jayden is ahead of him in the depth chart it wouldn't surprise me. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:41 AM, Obinna said:

I think Schaffelburg has to be right on the edge of being called, but he was healthy and available last window and no call came. Missing any of Davies, Buchanan or Hoilett could change things, but Nelson may be closer to the squad than Jacob is. If I am not mistaken, it was decided between him and the coaching staff that he skip to focus on Rosenborg. Was the same conversation had with Schaffelburg? Because if not Nelson seems to be ahead of him. Much as I love what he's doing down in Nashville, Nelson probably has the higher ceiling and he can play outside and inside, so if Jayden is ahead of him in the depth chart it wouldn't surprise me. 

A good problem to have. I think Jayden is little bit more skilled and also more versitle .  But at the same time Schaffs has improved his game over the last few years .

3 hours ago, solsous said:

Do we still need Hoilett on the squad?

But I think his NT future is fun to speculate about. How much longer does he play if he settles into League One. Do we hold it against him or does it depend on his play. If he's killing it and Reading are headed straight back up, do we even care so long as his Canada play is good? And if he goes elsewhere, it sure will be interesting. Anywhere in the Championship seems likely.

Edited by Obinna

I get that Junior is getting older and had some injuries but obviously he is of value to Canada still.  The fact alone that he holds attributes that no one else does in our program currently.  Are people suggesting we don’t need Hoilett because we have Shaffelburg?

9 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I get that Junior is getting older and had some injuries but obviously he is of value to Canada still.  The fact alone that he holds attributes that no one else does in our program currently.  Are people suggesting we don’t need Hoilett because we have Shaffelburg?

They don't even play the same position 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Hoilett remains one of, if not the most intelligent and composed players on CANMNT.  He has intrinsic skills that even Davies can't match.   

I see Hoillet as a Quaresma-type of crafty vet type of attacker for us off the bench, so long as he is healthy and also playing regularly at club level.  

10 hours ago, Corazon said:

I know.  That’s why I’m genuinely confused with this “do we need Hoilett” talk in a Shaffelburg thread.  

Pretty sure it was just a high level comparison because they are both wide players. We know however their games are vastly different.

Hoilett has evolved into a wide player who can be an inside playmaker.

That's not Shaffelburg's game and probably never will be. 

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Would like to see him as a starter. I wonder if the manager has pegged him as a super sub.

Seems that way for now. He started the year as a starter. Fafa picault and Shaffelburg tend to share minutes, so if one is starting the other is usually on the bench. Picault has been starting more recently and scored tonight. 

Got quite the ovation from the Nashville fans when he came on.  Looked very lively.  Have to say, all 4 Canadians looked pretty good in this one.  The 5th (pseudo Canadian Morris) was probably the least impressive, but didn't look bad.