Octavio Zambrano

RJB

22 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Did OZ also say part of the conversation with Cristante is him coming to the MLS and particularly a Canadian MLS team? I listened to it a few times and still am not sure. 

yeah he was talking about it being part of the "process" and if the player "wants to make a big move"...but I'm not sure why...

It almost game me the impression the MNT and and a team like TFC might work together to get a player..

I'm guessing a "big move" means TFC overpays for young European talent and he commits to Canada...

5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

yeah he was talking about it being part of the "process" and if the player "wants to make a big move"...but I'm not sure why...

It almost game me the impression the MNT and and a team like TFC might work together to get a player..

I'm guessing a "big move" means TFC overpays for young European talent and he commits to Canada...

I can see the advantage for the MNT to have top players on Canadian MLS teams. This could potentially drive Canadian MLS team fans to watch the MNT when they are in a competition.

3 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I can see the advantage for the MNT to have top players on Canadian MLS teams. This could potentially drive Canadian MLS team fans to watch the MNT when they are in a competition.

maybe...it's hard to say the thinking behind this and whether it something the MNT is serious/intentional about or it was just a casual conservation about North American pro soccer between Zambrano and Cristante...

I haven't listened to the interview but I'm sure he must mean big money for a big move. In other words, a lot more money than he's going to earn anywhere else in the world contingent on the fact that he plays for Canada. Similar to every USA player being paid far above their value to come home. It's about time we start that with Canadians, though admittedly there are very few in comparison to the USA.. clearly cristante could be one. A young guy who has played for big clubs and Canada would be a hit... and the fact he's Italian wouldn't hurt in Montreal or Toronto either. 

25 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I haven't listened to the interview but I'm sure he must mean big money for a big move. In other words, a lot more money than he's going to earn anywhere else in the world contingent on the fact that he plays for Canada. Similar to every USA player being paid far above their value to come home. It's about time we start that with Canadians, though admittedly there are very few in comparison to the USA.. clearly cristante could be one. A young guy who has played for big clubs and Canada would be a hit... and the fact he's Italian wouldn't hurt in Montreal or Toronto either. 

I agree with this. I imagine OZ has been peddling the same partial point to Cristante that the CSA crew did to Arfield, saying things about how this could lead to a big payday one day back in MLS. There is probably some truth to that although I think it's also probably a minor point in terms of the bigger argument and task of convincing a player like Cristante to come on board with Canada.

I wonder how much would be reasonable but big money for cristante?  I'm thinking $2.5 to 4 million. 

At that price it would still be a big risk for an mls side for a relatively unproven player.  I'm also not sure he would be overawed by that amount. 

Edited by Keegan

56 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, the idea of a Canadian MLS club getting a young guy who has played in Serie A is laughable.

Giovinco 230515.jpg

Well he wasn't nearly as young as Cristante but i get your point

4 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Well he wasn't nearly as young as Cristante but i get your point

For sure - but MLS will increasingly recognize the value of moving away from the retirement home image that will always make them look 2nd class.  TFC has been a case study in the wisdom of investing in guys who may some name recognition, but whose main value comes from their contributions on the pitch.  And while Chrisante is even younger (as you point out) than guys like Gio, Bradley, and Altidore, the fact that he is a strong, young (potential) Canadian fits with MLS's recent noises concerning support of the game up here.  And with CPL knocking on the door and potentially grabbing the patriotic high ground, MLS will increasingly look to secure some of the Canadian-patriot supporter base that they might otherwise bleed off.  What better way to do that than to get a rising star with Canadian ties, and possibly even help convince him to sign up for the CMNT.  Hell, I have said I would drop MLS in favour of CPL almost immediately because of MLS's "too little too late" approach to Canada, but even I might give them some credit if they start to make moves like this.  Of course, if they do all the fanfare for a guy that ends up suiting up for Italy, it could all backfire horribly, but anything that helps bring Chrisante on board would be an exciting development.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, the idea of a Canadian MLS club getting a young guy who has played in Serie A is laughable.

Giovinco 230515.jpg

I love Giovinco, but he was 29 and a sub when he come over, that's why he come over to Toronto. Cristante is 22-23 and pretty much a starter and even EPL teams were trying to sign him. 

It would be amazing if he came over to MLS in his prime. 

Edited by SpecialK

Hell, I have said I would drop MLS in favour of CPL almost immediately because of MLS's "too little too late" approach to Canada, but even I might give them some credit if they start to make moves like this.

For me its not even about dropping MLS, its dropping the USL.  I find myself on youtube trying to catch TFC2, SPR, WC2 etc to see young CDN.  I'd rather a bunch of those guys step into some starting positions with Halifax, WPG or Hamilton next summer while I am watching SOCCER day in Canada.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For sure - but MLS will increasingly recognize the value of moving away from the retirement home image that will always make them look 2nd class.  TFC has been a case study in the wisdom of investing in guys who may some name recognition, but whose main value comes from their contributions on the pitch.  And while Chrisante is even younger (as you point out) than guys like Gio, Bradley, and Altidore, the fact that he is a strong, young (potential) Canadian fits with MLS's recent noises concerning support of the game up here.  And with CPL knocking on the door and potentially grabbing the patriotic high ground, MLS will increasingly look to secure some of the Canadian-patriot supporter base that they might otherwise bleed off.  What better way to do that than to get a rising star with Canadian ties, and possibly even help convince him to sign up for the CMNT.  Hell, I have said I would drop MLS in favour of CPL almost immediately because of MLS's "too little too late" approach to Canada, but even I might give them some credit if they start to make moves like this.  Of course, if they do all the fanfare for a guy that ends up suiting up for Italy, it could all backfire horribly, but anything that helps bring Chrisante on board would be an exciting development.

If this guy ends up coming to MLS he is playing for Canada...not Italy..

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I love Giovinco, but he was 29 and a sub when he come over, that's why he come over to Toronto. Cristante is 22-23 and pretty much a starter and even EPL teams were trying to sign him. 

pretty sure he was 27 when he signed..but point taken

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I love Giovinco, but he was 29 and a sub when he come over

Ever so slight corerction, he signed with TFC just before his 28th birthday. So a 6 year gap between when he signed, and Christante now. It's also worth noting he was a sub on the best team in Italy. He may have been able to get a more significant role elsewhere in Italy (but I don't follow Serie A, maybe he tried to and couldn't).

14 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Giovinco had/has a much bigger profile than cristante so I don't see the point. I think getting giovinco was a much bigger coup than cristante would be. Giovinco was sought by premier league clubs and would most definitely start on just about every serie a squad... mls wasn't a desperation move by any means he was an Italy international not a bum.  Put that in perspective, giovinco was an Italy player whereas cristante likely never will be. 

Also has cristante ever been a starter? I know lately he was but it's not like he's known as a starting player and star or he would have been a u21 player at least.

Edited by Keegan

14 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Giovinco had/has a much bigger profile than cristante so I don't see the point. I think getting giovinco was a much bigger coup than cristante would be. Giovinco was sought by premier league clubs and would most definitely start on just about every serie a squad... mls wasn't a desperation move by any means he was an Italy international not a bum.  Put that in perspective, giovinco was an Italy player whereas cristante likely never will be. 

Also has cristante ever been a starter? I know lately he was but it's not like he's known as a starting player and star or he would have been a u21 player at least.

Giovinco is a good player, he's not a bum at all but call a  a spade a spade. He was a sub during  his time at Juventus F.C. ( he played 93 games and only scored 14 goals) and was loaned out to two  struggling Serie A team, who are now in Serie B. He's  dominating a middle of pack league in world and getting paid big money. If people in Italy thought he could do the same he would still be there. 

Cristante, 16 played in  Champions league with Milan , went to the biggest club in  Portugal and now with Atalanta BC who is what top 6 in Serie A and starting and got a offer from a EPL team . Also do you know many great midfielders Italy has ? 

Edited by SpecialK

22 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Giovinco is a good player, he's not a bum at all but call a  a spade a spade. He was a sub during  his time at Juventus F.C. ( he played 93 games and only scored 14 goals) and was loaned out to two  struggling Serie A team, who are now in Serie B. He's  dominating a middle of pack league in world and getting paid big money. If people in Italy thought he could do the same he would still be there. 

Cristante, 16 played in  Champions league with Milan , went to the biggest club in  Portugal and now with Atalanta BC who is what top 6 in Serie A and starting and got a offer from a EPL team . Also do you know many great midfielders Italy has ? 

Think you're playing down Giovinco just a little a bit...

46 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I think you're twisting both ends to make it seem like the two are comparable.  The fact is Cristante has played on smaller clubs than Juventus and never broke through.  

I think the easiest way to settle this is that no one is offering 7 million to cristante... or even 2 million. Yes he played at a young age 6 years ago but that means next to nothing and if anything works against him in a negative way as he hasn't developed as many thought he would.  I think he's good but he would never be at juventus or linked to clubs like arsenal or Barcelona as giovinco.  

It's annoying when people reference giovinco sitting on the bench at juventus as if it's something against him... Italy didn't mind clearly.  Nor did all the big clubs linked to him before he chose Toronto. 

When tfc signed giovinco the collective response was wow. If cristante was to be signed, even at a third of the price 99 pct of people would say "who?" 

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

If you think Cristante has achieved anything close to what Giovinco has achieved in his career or has achieved the heights of career Giovinco has then you don't know what you are talking about.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

He was 27 and an Italian national team player playing for Juventus.  Much more pedigreed than Cristante.

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Ok now you are just being stupid and are blinded by your man crush on Cristante. Giovinco was a sub on the best team in Italy and prior to joining Juve he was a star at Parma. When he was Cristante's age he had 10x the amount of hype as Cristante as he was seen as the new Del Piero. Giovinco could have started on any other Serie A team and other EPL teams wanted him aswell. And fyi he was 27 when he signed and 28 when the season began

Edit: Sorry i basically said the samething as everyone else but after  I saw this comment I just had to reply wothout reading the rest of the thread

Edited by Guest

Back to Zambrano, as I have stated in years past I never liked the idea of a Latino coach.  I always thought our style would end up being similar to the Germans and matching our national character (as it may have once been)

But I like this guy, I like the way he conducts himself, I like the way he does interviews and what he says and I really like how he stands on the sidelines.

During the Jamaica game he still looked confidant as the game was drawing to its sad conclusion which must have helped the boys.  And even when it was too late he had a great look of defiance on his face and in his posture, that's what I want in my coach.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Back to Zambrano, as I have stated in years past I never liked the idea of a Latino coach.  I always thought our style would end up being similar to the Germans and matching our national character (as it may have once been)

But I like this guy, I like the way he conducts himself, I like the way he does interviews and what he says and I really like how he stands on the sidelines.

During the Jamaica game he still looked confidant as the game was drawing to its sad conclusion which must have helped the boys.  And even when it was too late he had a great look of defiance on his face and in his posture, that's what I want in my coach.

What type of bias did/do you have on Latino managers that seeing him act like a normal person makes you have hope for the man? Are you surprise the man goes down swinging? Do you not realize that most Latin Americans have the idea that in a game, battle, etc that even if you are losing you go down battling to the end, trying to win even if its impossible. Having a Latin American coach will teach this fighting spirit that eludes Canadian players.

Edited by Ivanovski94

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic