CPL Stadium Thread

27 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Yeah and at least the field is real grass. 

...although not wide enough for normal pro level dimensions (hence the last minute shift of the Frosinone game last summer) and only for this year. Hopefully the grass gets widened over the next three weeks, because it doesn't look like it has been so far in this photograph:

D5qp690WwAAWK_J.jpg

Hopefully the turf that is going in after this season will be unmarked but the shared use with the York Lions football team suggests permanent markings that will need to be painted out are likely.

37 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Running tracks suck. 

When Tim Hortons Field was built for the PanAm Games we were originally supposed to have the track and field events here, they got moved, to York University IIRC, thankfully the stands were built closer to the pitch with no track!

53 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They already said the tracks would be covered 

...but other sources suggest Athletics Canada retain rights to access as part of the legacy of the PanAm games.

http://news.yorku.ca/2019/03/07/york-lions-stadium-track-and-field-course-getting-an-upgrade/

...The University will also construct the new six lane track on the north-west corner of campus and will continue to meet the high standards and quality of the current track, including Athletics Canada’s daily training needs.

“We’re very happy with York University’s continued commitment to our high-performance program,” said Simon Nathan, Athletics Canada’s High Performance Director. “The new facility will allow us to train for all events, something we could not do before, and athletes will continue to have full access rights.” ...

3 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

Agreed.  I cant think of a worse way to watch football than to be miles from the pitch because of a track.  I've heard Swangard Stadium might be used for a lower mainland team.  If that is the case, I don't think I will be buying seasons tickets

Swangard was a great place to watch the 86ers and non MLS Whitecaps.  More enjoyable than watching the MLS Whitecaps at BC Place without a track.

Edited by Kwar
Typo

13 hours ago, Kwar said:

Swangard was a great place to watch the 86ers and non MLS Whitecaps.  More enjoyable than watching the MLS Whitecaps at BC Place without a track.

Mostly because the stands were placed on the track, which could be done again assuming 🐻 stadiums have a retractable option. If not, I'm sure someone else can figure it out. Or just use the old system the USL Caps had in place.

55 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Mostly because the stands were placed on the track, which could be done again assuming 🐻 stadiums have a retractable option. If not, I'm sure someone else can figure it out. Or just use the old system the USL Caps had in place.

For me it was only palatable on the Southside, in the stands it was staid and you were a ways off. The quality of play, that is true, tended to be good for the league. 

Even with the new stadiums for CPL, we are really a bit bare bones still. There is still a semi-temporary feel in Halifax, Victoria and Calgary, as I see it. Metallic stands don't help. Not covering the corners, wrapping around, is an error as I see it too. In Halifax, we saw that field house of sorts on one side. At Pacific, there was a guy cooking something on a grill, smoke coming up. Porta-potties on the other corner. At Spruce Meadows, at least there was that sort of gate, which made it look a bit more dignified beside the grassy slope behind goal (of the sort president's get shot from). 

4 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

They weren't always placed on the track on the non grandstand side, that was a later era Whitecaps thing.  And yes I watched everything from the Southside which made everything better.  Still more preferable than watching games at BC Place in my opinion 

On 5/4/2019 at 4:54 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hopefully the turf that is going in after this season will be unmarked but the shared use with the York Lions football team suggests permanent markings that will need to be painted out are likely.

Shared use doesn't mean they have to have permanent pointy ball lines, or that their likely.

Edited by CDNFootballer

I have to say I am a little disappointed with the lack of alterations that Valour made to IGF. Unlike in Hamilton, you could still see Blue Bombers signage everywhere. I really thought they would cover that up with Valour specific branding. Given the size of the stadium, I thought they might look at placing tarps over some of the empty sections, especially the endzones, but that obviously did not happen.

Any news on whether they plan on keeping it the same all season long?

1 hour ago, masster said:

I have to say I am a little disappointed with the lack of alterations that Valour made to IGF. Unlike in Hamilton, you could still see Blue Bombers signage everywhere. I really thought they would cover that up with Valour specific branding. Given the size of the stadium, I thought they might look at placing tarps over some of the empty sections, especially the endzones, but that obviously did not happen.

Any news on whether they plan on keeping it the same all season long?

I agree on the Blue Bomber signage, but tarps would be expensive and unnecessary IMHO.

Broadcast wise it looked fine as most of the time the main camera was showing the main used stands, not sure how it looked in person though.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:40 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

Does anyone know when the rest of the seats are going in at westhills stadium. I know the sevens are this weekend but will the seats be in before the canadian championship game.

Not sure, seems they've prioritized the luxury suites in the new stands, on one side they seem to have completed them now, still need to do the other wooden suites. Hopefully then the seats are installed, then the large wooden grandstand behind the family zone seating.