Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Macksam

CPL Stadium Thread

Recommended Posts

On 4/10/2019 at 7:56 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Pacific FC hopes purple reigns on home turf

All our seats will be purple, and all season ticket purchasers get a jersey, so it’s going to look great,” said Simpson.

Speaking of seats, Simpson is adamant that 6,000 will be in place at Westhills Stadium in time for the franchise inaugural game April 28 against HFX Wanderers of Halifax. But he openly admits it’s going to be a race to the finish.

“There are a lot of logistics involved, but absolutely the stadium will be ready for play,” said Simpson.

“A lot of people are referencing the same situation as Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, where workers were working up to the last minute before the first event in 2005 [a Rod Stewart concert].”

Quipped Simpson: “There could be some wet paint signs.”

But they will be in purple.

Simpson said Pacific FC has surpassed the 1,000 plateau in season tickets and that more than 2,500 tickets have been sold so far for the inaugural game in the 28th.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/pacific-fc-hopes-purple-reigns-on-home-turf-1.23781607

Not to be a nitpicky Nancy, but the CPL clubs aren’t “franchises” are they? That implies a centralized licensor of intelectual property... like MLS or the majority of the other North American sports leagues. I’m fairly sure that I’ve read that the CPL is operating under the club model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Not to be a nitpicky Nancy, but the CPL clubs aren’t “franchises” are they? That implies a centralized licensor of intelectual property... like MLS or the majority of the other North American sports leagues. I’m fairly sure that I’ve read that the CPL is operating under the club model. 

Your right, CPL has clubs. Problem is many use the "franchise" term very loosely, especially in the media, and they don't understand the specifics of each term really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Really unfortunate that, it doesn’t really make it clear what it means by done by August. I assume they’re still playing on Sunday next week, so where are people going to sit?

As long as they put in the bleachers behind both goals they should have a capacity of just over 4000 for the opening game, if the wooden extensions to the main seating area get their purple seats installed in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be some" little" things,  something as simple as the contractors who won the tender to install the plumbing for the perimeter bathrooms won't be on site until August, bring in the porta potties.  Could be some major features which requires construction/excavation structure which needs to be on site long enough to interfere with the league schedule. 

Whatever it is or isn't doesn't sound like the team is especially worried about it.  Pity the fans won't experience the finished product out of the gate.

Better than 50/50 chance we'll be on the island in September.  Whatdoyouknow?  York away at a completed Westhills that week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ted said:

 

Yup, and the club has been telling us this literally for months.

Not news.

What is news is that the club is on-track for a sellout for the home opener before the game.

that was known like a week ago wasn't it? also never saw an official thing regarding august, still a bumber. wonder if it's why season ticket sales were only around 1k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On April 20, 2019 at 7:47 PM, ted said:

What is news is that the club is on-track for a sellout for the home opener before the game.

Victoria really is a walk up crowd, the important thing is they've gained tremendous momentum and will be contenders as their on pitch quality is terrific. Also marketing wise they're doing all the right things

Edited by Blackjack15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 7:22 AM, matty said:

that was known like a week ago wasn't it?

I heard nothing about it until Thursday night at the pub night when a club staffer told us that based on the sales projections the game will sell out this coming Friday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ted said:

I heard nothing about it until Thursday night at the pub night when a club staffer told us that based on the sales projections the game will sell out this coming Friday.  

ok. iirc there was a tweet about a week ago saying they were on pace for a sellout for the opener (and maybe the 2nd home game)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simpson vowed the expanded-to-6,000-seats Westhills Stadium will be ready for the opening game next Sunday after the rare winter snows on the Island set back the construction timeline by several weeks. The fine finishing details won’t be completed by August but the facility will be ready for soccer.

“The small things might not be polished until August. But it won’t affect the football one bit and we will be game-day ready,” said Simpson.

https://www.timescolonist.com/islander/pro-soccer-arrives-on-island-it-s-game-on-for-pacific-fc-1.23797550

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, if at the end of the day nothing else comes out of this CPL experiment other than some sort of looong overdue stadia infastructure, modest as it may be, then you know what?

The effort was well worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

You know, if at the end of the day nothing else comes out of this CPL experiment other than some sort of looong overdue stadia infastructure, modest as it may be, then you know what?

The effort was well worth it. 

Stadia with no teams to play in them? Have you been drinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taken straight from FC Edmonton's twitter page. For the life of me i can't understand why the north end seats are so far away from the pitch? I can only assume this will some sort of family zone area? Otherwise i feel like this will hurt the atmosphere with those crop of fans being so far from the pitch. 

I got a feeling this will be a common complaint as the season progresses, and the organizers will eventually come to their senses and wi;; move the north end seats right behind the nets, much like the south end seats are already. Otherwise, looking great!
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MannyLopez2020 said:

Taken straight from FC Edmonton's twitter page. For the life of me i can't understand why the north end seats are so far away from the pitch? I can only assume this will some sort of family zone area? Otherwise i feel like this will hurt the atmosphere with those crop of fans being so far from the pitch. 

I got a feeling this will be a common complaint as the season progresses, and the organizers will eventually come to their senses and wi;; move the north end seats right behind the nets, much like the south end seats are already. Otherwise, looking great!
 

 

Yes, that's the family fun zone and I think that sides seating, which was moved from the opposite sides corners, is too heavy to put on the turf endzone that's still used for pointy ball so that's why its offset farther back.

FCE_ClarkeSeatingMap_Nov1-565x730.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lofty said:

Stadia with no teams to play in them? Have you been drinking?

No.  And of course.!

No, in that no matter what happens at a local level or a national level stadiums will exist for whatever comes next.  I think this CPL thing is going to be around for a long time to come but individual owners?  Maybe not so much.  New money reinventing the wheel in an existing CPL market shouldn't have infastructure costs discouraging them from entering that market, not as much as it has in the past anyway.

And of course in that I'm going to chase down this Heineken with a Keiths before heading out for a little BBQ at a pals.  Gimme a break!  REALLY rough year at work already and it's only April.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya, the stands are set back because of sharing the stadium with Football. It isn’d ideal but it is supposedly a temporary solution until FC Edmonton find/build a permanent home. The City did just turn down the baseball team’s proposal to renew their lease and chose to open it up to negotiations with multiple parties. Starting summer 2020 Remax field is open for a new lease and I believe FC Edmonton would be in those talks, not sure if it is much better than Clarke but if they can lease it exclusively for soccer use it might be a good option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...