CPL Stadium Thread

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

So if I'm understanding correctly, the area outlined in red will not be finished by Sunday for use. Looked like more than 800 seats in this setup but the real deal doesn't always match the renderings exactly.

Westhills stadium layout 6000.jpg

It doesn't look like they've started assembling anything on that end, but I suppose it's possible that the front bleachers go up in time. The opposite stand seems to have been put together in a couple of days. I'm pretty sure they were selling tickets for the family zone a week or so ago, but none are available now, so I'm not sure whether they're sold out, or just not available for game one. They're still selling them for the game on Wednesday.

Edited by Aird25

17 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

So if I'm understanding correctly, the area outlined in red will not be finished by Sunday for use. Looked like more than 800 seats in this setup but the real deal doesn't always match the renderings exactly.

Westhills stadium layout 6000.jpg

You can zoom in on Ticketmaster and count the seats in the unbuilt behind the goal wooden grandstand. Looks like just under 850 so probably at least 1700 at that end with the family section bleachers that are still not showing any sign today of being installed so far.

The sideline seating is around 2400 according to the plans that have been posted on here so with the suites (the eight shown in the wooden grandstands are still completely open to the elements) that's probably 2500 or so. Throw in another 900 or so for the supporters section and there probably would be around the 5200 capacity mentioned on the CanPL website this week once the family zone bleachers and behind the goal grandstand get built. The vip fieldside seats shown above probably aren't happening given they are not shown on Ticketmaster.

It's bizarre how few people are working on this construction site and the leisurely pace they are doing everything, if you check out what's happening on the webcam. Not at all clear why they can't get the seats installed on the wooden grandstands, for example.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You can zoom in on Ticketmaster and count the seats in the unbuilt behind the goal wooden grandstand. Looks like just under 850 so probably at least 1700 at that end with the family section bleachers that are still not showing any sign today of being installed so far.

The sideline seating is around 2400 according to the plans that have been posted on here so with the suites (the eight shown in the wooden grandstands are still completely open to the elements) that's probably 2500 or so. Throw in another 900 or so for the supporters section and there probably would be around the 5200 capacity mentioned on the CanPL website this week once the family zone bleachers and behind the goal grandstand get built. The vip fieldside seats shown above probably aren't happening given they are not shown on Ticketmaster.

It's bizarre how few people are working on this construction site and the leisurely pace they are doing everything, if you check out what's happening on the webcam. Not at all clear why they can't get the seats installed on the wooden grandstands, for example.

Thank for this input, it has been interesting hearing everyone's thoughts on this. 

I too am wondering why they can't put the actual seats in the wooden sections (I am paying good money to be there) but am happy to see the progress in the last few days. It is a little strange that their are so few workers and everything seems so slow. 

I am worried that a lot of neutrals will be coming to the game to check it out, and a negative experience because of the unfinished stadium may turn them away. 

6 minutes ago, xancgr said:

Thank for this input, it has been interesting hearing everyone's thoughts on this. 

I too am wondering why they can't put the actual seats in the wooden sections (I am paying good money to be there) but am happy to see the progress in the last few days. It is a little strange that their are so few workers and everything seems so slow. 

I am worried that a lot of neutrals will be coming to the game to check it out, and a negative experience because of the unfinished stadium may turn them away. 

I just figure it's Langford, they never have to finish anything on time. The entire city is full of houses with people living in them and the garage is undone, the landscaping and they are half-thinking maybe they'll enlarge the playroom even though the kids are in junior high. They open a mall and if they are still putting in the lighting on opening day who cares. It is a suburban mentality, they just don't get it. There is no urgency about opening being something you die to get right. 

If you work in culture, if you are doing a concert, or a theatrical play, or an exhibition, you work overnights and push without sleep and scream at each other, and basically die for a few weeks so that on opening night things are perfect. The opening is one of those few things you get to celebrate, and you care, and you care about what the public thinks. And the press. Any little negative comment hurts. Any big city understand this because they are full of cultural events that have to be right, and the tourist office and marketing people will drive you nuts about how important it is for the city's image. The worst thing anyone could say, apart from maybe the place is crime-ridden and filthy with rats, is that you pretend to be a serious city but do things like a bunch of country bumpkins. 

This is why it would be much better to have this club at Royal Athletic Park.

Things happened to put Westhill's expansion behind schedule, which can happen. I remember when Clarke Stadiums expansion was a year behind schedule to install the big blue grandstand (and corner seating) because of a multitude of red tape re the stands and such. While it was put off the club had to play another year with only the decrepid 1300 seat concrete bleachers to use.

I'm happy that Langford came thru with giving Pacific FC a place to play otherwise there wouldn't likely be a CPL club on the Island. Its a bit unfortunate it won't be ready for opening day but the stadium is being done right, and will probably be the best sub 10k stadium in the country when the pole is moved and the final expansion on that side completes the stadium and brings it to 8K.

Little ways to go before the home opener yet but I'm assuming there will still be a splash of paint and a bit of elbow grease applied, no?  Loosing the gird iron lines and the tuning fork, that sort of thing.  Don't recall seeing a grindiron in past seasons. 

Often wondered how hard it would be to move the pitch right back against the end of the endzone, just so you could have the goal line right up against the end stand (at one end anyway).  Maybe not practical with the existing grandstands though, or because of a cavity left behind if you remove the football upright.  Would be nice if were possible though.  

On 4/26/2019 at 4:24 AM, Blackjack15 said:

Must see: Skip to 0:30 and be ready to be amazed (Jaw dropping)

Looks incredible! So excited and can't wait for the season to get going already :)

Spruce Meadows has one thing that makes no sense, which is the huge setback so a few dozen can sit on a terrace at the clubhouse and watch from afar. That kills capacity, and it is simply ridiculous in soccer terms internationally. It is an embarrassment, when you have 65% of the rest in a beautiful, very class configuration.

But it could be solved relatively "easily". It would be possible to run a 20 m bridge out near the sideline and set up an extended balcony structure there, if they really want to insist on those seats. So the clubhouse is there for pregame, and half time, with a short walk back--like what happens in most presidential loges in major stadiiums. 

That way you could have bleachers along the rest of the sideline, raise capacity, keep your corporate support happy, and not look so silly (which may be why, in the above video, it is the only part of the stadium that is NOT shown).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Here's what they originally had in mind:

Cavalry-FC-stadium-rendering-702x336.jpg

Having covered seating was a good idea, but it's a shame about the pillars (something that has usually been avoided in soccer stadium design for at least 50 year) and the exorbitant prices to view the game from close to the halfway line.

I am not sure, is there still that small stand to the right of the benches? I think not, the entire side is conditioned for guys not watching, acting like the own the place (because they might) sipping their Grey Goose cocktails and acting snobby.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No huge surprise that this is behind rather than over the running track.

Think the rendering had them behind and the track covered, with VIP seating on the covered track areas.

On the plus side, the stands look to have seats instead of bleachers which is nice.

So it looks like the track will encircle the field and all the stands will be beyond the track at the York9 stadium. This is not good I thought the stands would go over the track. If this is true they should have played at the other stadium on campus that does not have the track to deal with. To play in a stadium with a running track around it puts the fans to far away from the field this is not a good look.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

So it looks like the track will encircle the field and all the stands will be beyond the track at the York9 stadium. This is not good I thought the stands would go over the track. If this is true they should have played at the other stadium on campus that does not have the track to deal with. To play in a stadium with a running track around it puts the fans to far away from the field this is not a good look.

I agree its not an ideal situation but I've seen other countries top league's have teams playing in stadiums with tracks around them so its not like CPL is the only one.

Think we also have to realize that this league is just starting out and we will have to deal with things like this for the early years. York9 has a plan to build their own stadium eventually which should be a real gem, so its not like they plan to stay at Lions Stadium long term.

I prefer this situation to MLS's early years of teams playing on poor pointy ball lined turf, that's worse for me optics wise.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

If this is true they should have played at the other stadium on campus that does not have the track to deal with.

The other stadium is awful and has no real room for expansion.

The hydro pole in Langford is a real pain in my ass. Not only did it restrict the building of a grandstand on that side, which I didn’t care about too much considering I won’t attend a game this year, but the low camera angle because of the overhead wires sucks. It’s just too low to appreciate play on the far side, everything gets muddled and you can’t make out what’s happening.