CPL Stadium Thread

just read an article on wikipedia about 1976 olympics and there, it was used 4 stadiums... the Olimpique de Montreal plus others in Ottawa, Toronto et Sherbrooke.

the one in ottawa, is the current home of Fury, while Varsity Stadium and le Municipal arent used by any team i guess.

what if varsity had new seats and the sherbrooke one were used for the new quebecois club? People said that the team from QC will be from Laval so i dont know how close or how far is it from Sherbrooke

1 hour ago, Dicdan said:

just read an article on wikipedia about 1976 olympics and there, it was used 4 stadiums... the Olimpique de Montreal plus others in Ottawa, Toronto et Sherbrooke.

the one in ottawa, is the current home of Fury...

Yep, I saw South Korea play somebody as a nine-year old kid at Landsdowne Field as it was called then.

10 hours ago, Dicdan said:

what if varsity had new seats 

Varsity was rebuilt but now has a running track. Current capacity is 5,000.

I guess you aren't familiar with the history of BMO Field, TFC and the National Soccer Stadium.

At one point they were looking to put the new 20,000 seat soccer stadium at the Varsity location. However that was shot down thanks to powerful NIMBY's. It was very close to happening. After that setback they settled on the Exhibition grounds and the rest is history.

Since folks like to look at small stadium designs, we are inaugurating the new Johan Cruyff Stadium for FCB later this month. Capacity 6000, for women and reserve side mostly, plus Youth League matches u-18. It cost 19 million euros, there is parking underneath the main grandstand and there were some extra land costs near the new Masia site. Still, expensive for Canada.

Resultado de imagen para images  johan cruyff stadium august  2019

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since folks like to look at small stadium designs, we are inaugurating the new Johan Cruyff Stadium for FCB later this month. Capacity 6000, for women and reserve side mostly, plus Youth League matches u-18. It cost 19 million euros, there is parking underneath the main grandstand and there were some extra land costs near the new Masia site. Still, expensive for Canada.

Love it.  Build that thing in Prince George and voila-new CPL club Crystal Meth FC!

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My personal feeling is that this kind of stadium looks smart, is well-designed, but is lousy for a supporters' section in an end zone. It is very much tailored to sitting in the main stand. For my taste, if just one of the ends had a higher stand, instead of insisting on that red roof all the way around at the same height as the break between tiers, it would be better for supporting a team that is actually competing.

Personally, I'd like to see something like what San Antonio FC uses - Toyota Field.

Image result for san antonio toyota field

It holds over 8000 spectators for soccer (13000 for concerts) and can be expandable to 18000+ if they make it to MLS. It has some corporate suites as well to generate additional revenue. It took about a year to build and was sold in 2015 for $21 Million. I think something like this would be just about the right size for CPL.

31 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Personally, I'd like to see something like what San Antonio FC uses - Toyota Field.

Image result for san antonio toyota field

It holds over 8000 spectators for soccer (13000 for concerts) and can be expandable to 18000+ if they make it to MLS. It has some corporate suites as well to generate additional revenue. It took about a year to build and was sold in 2015 for $21 Million. I think something like this would be just about the right size for CPL.

I think any stadium being built for soccer in Canada should aim to have a roof. We have seen the extreme weather our teams play in already. 

^ Brisbane Road.   Been there forever but was reworked years ago into what you see now.  Holds 10K or so.  It's better than it looks.  The "modern" main stand holds all the club infastructure.    

I offer it only as an example of how you don't really need a huge footprint to develop a stadium.  And yes, those are residental blocks at the corners. 

Maybe not practical on a number of fronts.  Zero parking (as in ZERO), developing in an existing neighbourhood can be a nightmare (and never happens on the quick), and that building would give MediaPro fits.  However, there are also locations in most every city where swapping a perpetually half empty strip mall and car park for a smallish stadium might not be such a stretch.   

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

One of my favourite grounds personally is Wycombe wanderers Adams Park. It’s a 10,000 capacity stadium with a 1717 capacity standing room terrace.

BCE3CE5A-1815-4EC8-A422-E875574CBFEE.jpeg.98f403ab5af2639e4b218d01f4e5356f.jpeg15384A4C-AA33-4AEC-914E-7461B1D3A2D2.jpeg.ff3e182680ccb02aa1d4610eb50f0be4.jpeg2F985488-85D3-43FD-B610-9A9302899903.jpeg.ba271ade83e0f42a0e00d1f027c2421e.jpegD66F1043-3703-460B-A90D-6F44D766808F.jpeg.b023be5016bdbd97ebd03e72700fc4a5.jpeg

How far out of the city is this? It doesn't look like anything else is around

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I wish the Halifax Wanderers had this.

I think that a permanent structure was the intent until NIMBYism prompt the mayor to impose restrictions.

I think after the 3 years deal, if there has been no major issue, they might earn the right to put up a modular stadium at the location.

For ownership, the attendance proves that paying for a fancy 10k stadium is viable and worth it

Edited by Ansem

23 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think that a permanent structure was the intent until NIMBYism prompt the mayor to impose restrictions.

I think after the 3 years deal, if there has been no major issue, they might earn the right to put up a modular stadium at the location.

For ownership, the attendance proves that paying for a fancy 10k stadium is viable and worth it

Yup, that's what I recall as well.

Halifax (and the east coast in general) is rife with NIMBYism, so we'll have to see, but I do remain hopeful such a thing can be built. 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

Which came first the teams or the arenas?

I assume some came at the same time, some came before as a place for people in the town to play. I also assume some came originally for a team but eventually that team disappeared but the arena stayed. Also hockey has always been a more followed sport and was more played for most of the last century so it’s not surprising that we have a bunch of arenas instead of soccer fields. And also why we have so many football stadiums is because again in most smaller cities football is more followed then soccer and sometimes people will follow local high school teams.

36 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I assume some came at the same time, some came before as a place for people in the town to play. I also assume some came originally for a team but eventually that team disappeared but the arena stayed. Also hockey has always been a more followed sport and was more played for most of the last century so it’s not surprising that we have a bunch of arenas instead of soccer fields. And also why we have so many football stadiums is because again in most smaller cities football is more followed then soccer and sometimes people will follow local high school teams.

Most of the big 5,000+ arenas that major junior hockey teams play in were built and owned by the cities they are in.  More of a build it and they will come (future sports teams, concerts, trade shows etc).  The same kind of thought process doesn't happen for outdoor stadiums.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yup, that's what I recall as well.

Halifax (and the east coast in general) is rife with NIMBYism, so we'll have to see, but I do remain hopeful such a thing can be built. 

It's all about selling the dream.  Already I think the team is popular enough to warrant a 10k seater, but obviously the Wanderers Grounds are prime real estate and there are a ton of Nimbys.  So there are probably a lot of people who just don't care about soccer at all and for that reason just don't want a stadium.  

THINK BIGGER.  Think Crosby v Mackinnon in a 20k (expanded, not permanent) outdoor rink right outside the Halifax Citadel, think about major musicians playing a summer concert in a big outdoor  stadium.  How excited are people going to get if you start making them think outside the box and dreaming big?  And it's absolutely possible too.  

That San Antonio stadium looks amazing btw.