CPL Stadium Thread

17 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Not sure, seems they've prioritized the luxury suites in the new stands, on one side they seem to have completed them now, still need to do the other wooden suites. Hopefully then the seats are installed, then the large wooden grandstand behind the family zone seating.

We have a gap in the home schedule coming up. Maybe then?

Don't have a photo but they are building the foundation for the supporters stands at Westhills. Not sure if they are keeping the current stands and just adding a pre-fab part behind, but should look good when done. 

Anyone have any idea what they are putting underneath the current wood stands? Seem to be putting up walls for something.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:57 PM, -Hammer- said:

Don't get me wrong, the atomosphere and meat pies are great, but when you get a merch booth, actual toilets and paved walkways, we'll talk.

Typical upper Canadian attitude. They would rather electric heated seats and marble washrooms equipped with bidets while Maritimesers would prefer the packed stadium, electric atmosphere and hard cold steel stands   :P

...with a new artificial turf surface that would be shared with the York Lions football team.

The added turf provides run-off space down the sidelines, so they have managed to make the width look fairly reasonable in the broadcast. Surprised it is only 100y long. That's the absolute minimum on FIFA regulations.

Yeah, it sounds shockingly small, and it is apparently smaller than the field at Yankees Stadium I believe, but it didn't look like it to me. It looked a little small, but not as bad as Yankee Stadium. Must be something about camera angles or me not being very perceptive.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

Typical upper Canadian attitude. They would rather electric heated seats and marble washrooms equipped with bidets while Maritimesers would prefer the packed stadium, electric atmosphere and hard cold steel stands   :P

Heated seats would be kinda nice.....those steel seats have been pretty cold on my tush. ;)

Edited by HfxCeltic

19 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I took some pictures of York Lions Stadium last night before the game.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york100.htm 

Do you know if the added east side stands will be used for the home opener? I've heard conflicting info.

The broadcast cameras aiming at unused empty seats like they were for the non league game Wednesday would be a terrible look for the league and club.

Edited by CDNFootballer

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Do you know if the added east side stands will be used for the home opener? I've heard conflicting info.

The broadcast cameras aiming at unused empty seats like they were for the non league game Wednesday would be a terrible look for the league and club.

Yes they will definitely be used.  For Saturday's game they may be full of Forge fans who are being given some kind of deal like traveling York fans at the league opener.  The rest of the season I believe they will have youth teams from the region filling them.  

That's not what is being suggested by posters on Reddit:

The main seating (3000 capacity) still has around 200 tickets showing on Ticketmaster, so it won't be a good sign on the level of spectator interest for the home team if all the Forge member freebie tickets have been funneled into there. We'll see what happens.

It sounds like they'll be trying to keep everyone in the west stands as their regular plan, but they're willing to open up those east stands if the demand is there for it.  That's second-hand info from club staff but I also think it's a good idea to condense things.

Just checking on Ticketmaster, there's about 200 tickets left for today's match and about 400 for the June 15th match against Pacific.  I'd expect opening match hype + Hamilton fans would account for more than the 200-person difference, so I expect those east stands will be open but I could be wrong.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at the size of the field.  The narrow width was noticeable and the centre circle and penalty arc were a bit closer together than you'd expect if you looked hard enough, but it didn't look horribly out of place.  It was quite a bit better than what I was fearing based on what I'd heard about it.

11 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I was actually pleasantly surprised at the size of the field.  The narrow width was noticeable and the centre circle and penalty arc were a bit closer together than you'd expect if you looked hard enough, but it didn't look horribly out of place.  It was quite a bit better than what I was fearing based on what I'd heard about it.

On the broadcast today they intimated that its around 62 wide, makes more sense more than the 58 that was mentioned last wednesday as field is supposedly 65y to the track and there seemed to be about a yard or so from the sideline to that edge.

2 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

On the broadcast today they intimated that its around 62 wide, makes more sense more than the 58 that was mentioned last wednesday as field is supposedly 65y to the track and there seemed to be about a yard or so from the sideline to that edge.

I heard Wheeler say 66

Just now, narduch said:

I heard Wheeler say 66

I heard that too, but earlier (not Wheeler, it was just before kickoff) they mentioned it was 8 yards less than international std.

Seems like there's different numbers being mentioned each broadcast lol, guess the true figure remains a mystery for now but I doubt the 58y was correct.

9 hours ago, narduch said:

I heard Wheeler say 66

Higher numbers might be with the extra artificial turf added in. The penalty box is 44 yards wide. There is no way they have over 10 yards between the sidelines and penalty box on each side. 58 looks about right if you check that dimension.

60996857_323058641703522_697472132755069

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Higher numbers might be with the extra artificial turf added in. The penalty box is 44 yards wide. There is no way they have over 10 yards between the sidelines and penalty box on each side. 58 looks about right if you check that dimension.

60996857_323058641703522_697472132755069

That seems about right to me as well. I estimated 7-8 yards between the corner flag and the 18-yard box, which would yield a pitch between 58 and 60 yards wide.