Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Macksam

CPL Stadium Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Your brother has a beer tap at home?

Lol if only he did...I mean he would love to but then he realizes that would mean I would be there even more and has second thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, longlugan said:

I couldn't agree more...it also has the feel of an old English stadium in the residential area. I'm obviously a little biased because I live in the area and pre-game (Forge and TiCats) I go to my brother's place who lives even closer and have some pints on his front porch and watch the fans walk to the stadium. It's a truly unique location and should be appreciated for what it is. I know I'm in the minority when I say that I was happy they kept it where it is. Love the atmosphere in the area on game days and especially enjoy the people watching.

I’m mixed on the location to be honest.  I’ve been living down here for 12 years and I like going to Ti-Cats games and of course  now Forge games.

I think the location near Bay St would have been a better location to be honest but there’s some real community feel to parking on someone’s lawn- having a beer and heading to the game.  It’s part of the character of the city even though the other location would have been better.

When they were talking about a Hard Rock Hotel and Casino plus the stadium all close to Copps I thought that was going to be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, baulderdash77 said:

I’m mixed on the location to be honest.  I’ve been living down here for 12 years and I like going to Ti-Cats games and of course  now Forge games.

I think the location near Bay St would have been a better location to be honest but there’s some real community feel to parking on someone’s lawn- having a beer and heading to the game.  It’s part of the character of the city even though the other location would have been better.

When they were talking about a Hard Rock Hotel and Casino plus the stadium all close to Copps I thought that was going to be great.

True that combination would have been very nice as well as having a waterfront stadium but traffic on game days would have been a nightmare due to how bottle-necked the area is. I'm not sure what the parking situation was designed to be but I'm pretty sure you would have some some neighborhood parking as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This was the pertinent question in the thread, thanks for asking it. 

I am 100% he is not telling the truth when he says his bro doesn't, oh well.

No...just a fully stocked beer fridge in the basement...no complaints here though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ted said:

Took some pics while I was at the game yesterday at Westhills. The seats are now in on the main stands and the construction of the West stand is coming along nicely. We have been told it will be completed in August
 

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3539.JPG

I know the plan is for the stadium to be on turf but do you see a possibility where it could be switched to grass before 2026*?

*2026 (If the stadium is to be used as a WC training grass, it must be on grass according to FIFA)

If not, does that open the door to a future move to Victoria if they could have grass there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I know the plan is for the stadium to be on turf but do you see a possibility where it could be switched to grass before 2026*?

*2026 (If the stadium is to be used as a WC training grass, it must be on grass according to FIFA)

If not, does that open the door to a future move to Victoria if they could have grass there?

I don't know where you got that. The owners want grass ASAP. As I understand it, grass will go in when the Hydro Pole is moved and the North side stand is built. I have been told that all that is dependent on attendance targets being met. What those targets are I have not been told but it could be on the books for next season if we meet them.

Having recently invested in a huge training facility just up the road, it would seem they are doubling down on Langford.

As for a training facility, UVic would be the best for that as they have a nice pair of grass fields for their varsity program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ted said:

I don't know where you got that. The owners want grass ASAP. As I understand it, grass will go in when the Hydro Pole is moved and the North side stand is built. I have been told that all that is dependent on attendance targets being met. What those targets are I have not been told but it could be on the books for next season if we meet them.

Having recently invested in a huge training facility just up the road, it would seem they are doubling down on Langford.

As for a training facility, UVic would be the best for that as they have a nice pair of grass fields for their varsity program.

Thanks! As you can see, I just had questions and I dont know a lot about what's going on in the West. 

Thanks and yes, Westhills on Grass will be amazing. It's high on my list of CPL stadiums to visit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ansem said:

Thanks! As you can see, I just had questions and I dont know a lot about what's going on in the West. 

Thanks and yes, Westhills on Grass will be amazing. It's high on my list of CPL stadiums to visit

There is evidence they are training on that nice high school pitch nearby as well, from images we see.

Plenty of teams do not train on their main grass pitch to keep it in condition. But what about Rugby Canada and that Canadian football team playing on it ? Can they keep grass in shape with that kind of use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There is evidence they are training on that nice high school pitch nearby as well, from images we see.

Plenty of teams do not train on their main grass pitch to keep it in condition. But what about Rugby Canada and that Canadian football team playing on it ? Can they keep grass in shape with that kind of use?

The new training facility being built will probably take some of that load off. It will not just be PFC using the training fields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 11:34 AM, ted said:

Took some pics while I was at the game yesterday at Westhills. The seats are now in on the main stands and the construction of the West stand is coming along nicely. We have been told it will be completed in August
 

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3539.JPG

Charming venue.

I think these lego block stadiums should be the way to go in the future, just keep adding more sections as demand increases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2019 at 12:34 AM, ted said:

Took some pics while I was at the game yesterday at Westhills. The seats are now in on the main stands and the construction of the West stand is coming along nicely. We have been told it will be completed in August
 

IMG_3541.JPG

 

When the autumn season starts, knowing what the weather's like in Victoria, will tickets under the gap in the roof be discounted?  As a fan  of quirky little football grounds, I like it in a way.   With grass and a grandstand on the 4th side at some point, this will be by far the best soccer stadium north of Mexico, despite the giant purple wall.

Edited by vancanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vancanman said:

When the autumn season starts, knowing what the weather's like in Victoria, will tickets under the gap in the roof be discounted?  

I doubt it. Victoria weather in October isn't that bad. Lots of people are still wearing shorts at Halloween.

Of course as a guy who sits in the open-air supporters section I should probably look for a purple rain poncho just in case. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ted said:

I doubt it. Victoria weather in October isn't that bad. Lots of people are still wearing shorts at Halloween.

Of course as a guy who sits in the open-air supporters section I should probably look for a purple rain poncho just in case. ;)

I've been to Victoria in October.  I seem to recall a couple of raindrops.  You might want to take a box of purple ponchos and stand behind that section.  You could make enough for a couple of beers.  (Do people in Langford say, "a coupla beer" or are they too upmarket for that these days?)

And yes, I replied within 60 seconds because I just happened to be sitting here drooling over that picture.  I can't wait until that stadium's finished.  Oh, and when you finish selling the ponchos, although a ladder or even a stool would be preferable, you could give the box to the cameraman so he has something to stand on.

Edited by vancanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember going to the island this time two years ago and the beer was something else, best I ever had....bittersweet memories as my fiance broke up with me at the end of that trip. 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Macksam said:

I remember going to the island this time two years ago and the beer was something else, best I ever had....bittersweet memories as my fiance broke up with me at the end of that trip. 😭

I agree...went there with my wife a few years ago and loved the beer and food.   My wife is still with me but definitely looks at me with one eyebrow raised since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2019 at 10:13 AM, longlugan said:

I agree...went there with my wife a few years ago and loved the beer and food.   My wife is still with me but definitely looks at me with one eyebrow raised since then.

My wife's been frowning at me since I dragged her all the way out to Langford on Remembrance Day from our hotel in James Bay just to see where they were going to start construction eventually.

Edited by vancanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

5000?? Right off the bat you are losing fans in Halifax and WPG. But yeah, not enough stadiums of any size anywhere in this country.  

These should be the minimum for future D2 teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why can’t we seem to build small stadiums, that look like that in this country, so simple, with a roof right around , stands  on all four sides and fully enclosed no open spaces . Though the stadiums that Cavalry, Pacific, York9 and Halifax are pretty adequate, this one is the kind of look that every stadium in the CPL should try and build if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Why can’t we seem to build small stadiums, that look like that in this country, so simple, with a roof right around , stands  on all four sides and fully enclosed no open spaces . Though the stadiums that Cavalry, Pacific, York9 and Halifax are pretty adequate, this one is the kind of look that every stadium in the CPL should try and build if possible.

 

We can build them. We have just never had the reason too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...