Cyle Larin

shermanator

It really comes down to using all your assets the best way possible to get the most out of them.

When Larin gets quality service, he'll score. So why not a 4-2-3-1 with Davies, David & Arfield giving him quality passes

----------------Cavallini/Larin

-----------Arfield-----David-----Davies

------------Eustaquio-----Piette

Miller---Cornelius---Vitoria---Laryea

-----------------------Crepeau

51 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

With the way Cav played last game and if we insist on having a traditional 9 Larin is my choice to start. Cavallini off the bench is a much better option 

Cavallini was atrocious last match against the US but he has been very good generally in a Canadian shirt - much better than Larin and it isn’t particularly close. Would be rash to take him out of the starting 11 for Larin.

15 minutes ago, gator said:

It's funny how quickly things change in a couple of months, Larin was out of the MNT picture and we were all singing the praises of Cavallini, Larin's form in Belgium has changed all that! Cav struggled vs the US, so did David, that was a combination of the Americans playing well and our tactical set up being very poor, it will be nice to have 2 good options at #9!

Or it was Cavallini who had never scored for the CMNT (has only been scoring for canada in the last 14months), going on a scoring run against mainly minnows and everyone deemed Larin as excess baggage.  We cant afford to throw anyone on the scrap heap.  And strikers will always look bad when the team gets man handled and their service dries up.  You cant fault Cav too much for the USA game, just like you cant fault Larin too much for the times he has had rough games.  Anyone who can bang in a goal every second game in MLS should have a place in our squad.  We are going to need Cav, David and Larin all to contribute.  What decent team doesnt have at least 2-3 strikers that can score??  

It’s funny that the narrative is that Larin failed in Turkey and is excelling in Belgium, in reality Besiktas never gave him a shot. 

For Besiktas he scored 0.97 goals per 90 in the league.. that’s insane.  He was given only 4 league starts. 
In Belgium he’s scoring 0.44 goals per 90, which is great but less than half what he produced goal wise in turkey. Obviously he’s getting involved a lot more with assists as well. 

Should Besiktas not be giving him another shot? 

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Cavallini was atrocious last match against the US but he has been very good generally in a Canadian shirt - much better than Larin and it isn’t particularly close. Would be rash to take him out of the starting 11 for Larin.

Until last game Cavallini hadn't scored for Puebla in a while, so it's not just about the US match, at least for me anyways.

I think Larin has at least earned a recall, if not a start. It's great to have 2 good no. 9 options, 3 if you count David.

Everyone won't always be on form at the same time.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Until last game Cavallini hadn't scored for Puebla in a while, so it's not just about the US match, at least for me anyways.

I think Larin has at least earned a recall, if not a start. It's great to have 2 good no. 9 options, 3 if you count David.

Everyone won't always be on form at the same time.

I don’t think anyone denies that larin should be called up. He’s quite in form right now and inarguably one of our best strikers.

19 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s funny that the narrative is that Larin failed in Turkey and is excelling in Belgium, in reality Besiktas never gave him a shot. 

For Besiktas he scored 0.97 goals per 90 in the league.. that’s insane.  He was given only 4 league starts. 
In Belgium he’s scoring 0.44 goals per 90, which is great but less than half what he produced goal wise in turkey. Obviously he’s getting involved a lot more with assists as well. 

Should Besiktas not be giving him another shot? 

They should, but I hope they won't.  Belgium is much better development league, Turkey is basically a dead end.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, dennis said:

Looks like Larin's good form in Belgium has seen his stock rise on Transfermarkt. He's valued at 4 million euro now. The highest of his career.

Could be the fit of the jersey but he looks a lot more trim than when he was in MLS or Turkey:

https://twitter.com/axiasportsmgmt/status/1205413494071480320

I have a theory with Larin. He has a totally different personality compared to just say Atiba. I don't think Turkey is the right place for him. For some it's difficult to adapt to other cultures and different languages. I think that's contributed to his recent success, he's more comfortable in Belgium. 

Edited by SpursFlu

9 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I have a theory with Larin. He has a totally different personality compared to just say Atiba. I don't think Turkey is the right place for him. For some it's difficult to adapt to other cultures and different languages. I think that's contributed to his recent success, he's more comfortable in Belgium. 

Interesting that Boyd the american seems to be having a problem there too. Started the season off ok and has played mostly in the cup and europa

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

His production - 9 goals, 8 assists in about 2,000 minutes so far point to him being comfortable but also that he’s developing. In the past he was never a playmaker, just a scorer.  He’s changing his style with the playmaking now.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

His production - 9 goals, 8 assists in about 2,000 minutes so far point to him being comfortable but also that he’s developing. In the past he was never a playmaker, just a scorer.  He’s changing his style with the playmaking now.

And we should note those assists are legit and do not include secondary assists like MLS. That makes his playmaking development even more impressive. 

He deserves to start. 

We suck at defending so why not go to a 3-5-2. It gets Davies and laryea up the field higher where they can really hurt defenses. 

--------Henry Vitoria Cornelius

Laryea-arfield-piette-kaye-davies

----------david------larin----------

Cavalinni has work to out in to catch Larin right now. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

He deserves to start. 

We suck at defending so why not go to a 3-5-2. It gets Davies and laryea up the field higher where they can really hurt defenses. 

--------Henry Vitoria Cornelius

Laryea-arfield-piette-kaye-davies

----------david------larin----------

Cavalinni has work to out in to catch Larin right now. 

3-5-2 is definitely our best formation considering our roster and weak/strong points.  

I'm not entirely sold on the David/Larin combo up top just yet, however it could be interesting given their production.

I also feel MIller at CB might be better than what we've seen from Henry lately, much more level headed at the very least.

Hope to see Estaquio challenge Piette for the #6 role.  Its coming together.  Crazy to think we'd have Cavallini, Hoilett, Hutchinson & Osorio on the bench.  I can see ZBG challenging for a starter role in a year or so.  Millar.... things are looking up! 

Everything from 6 to 23 is more or less interchangeable. Russia, Turkey, Holland, Belgium, Championship, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina, Liga MX, MLS, Denmark, Japan, etc... Some of those leagues are stronger than others but there is no big divide.

The big divide is the super clubs versus everyone else in those leagues. Teams like Ajax, PSV, Benfica, Porto, River Plate, Boca Juniors, Club America, Galatasaray, Besiktas, Fenerbache, Club Brugges, CSKA Moscow, Zenit, etc. 

MLS has the most parity, so there is no single club you can put into that elite group. That makes the league comparisons difficult and kind of worthless in my opinion. 

So anyway, I don't think we can say MLS is way better than Belgium or vice versa.

And to bring it back to Larin versus Cavallini, we don't need to put Cyle back on top just because Lucas left Liga MX and went to Vancouver. He is still the same player. I think Larin deserves a look because of his goals, but if he was scoring at this rate at Club Brugges or Besiktas, then we can talk about him being no. 1.

Best of all though is to defer to both of their play in a Canada shirt if you want to decide who the best is.

Haven't the 2 best players in Belgium come over and played for TFC recently? Good players but I wouldnt say anything out of this world. Plus the first guy went to LigaMX and totally flopped. I've been watching a lot of Gent recently for obvious reasons and considering they're one of the better teams.. yah theyre ok. It's a nice little league but cmon. I think there are a few reasons Larin is doing better but a big reason that's the clearest of all is... he's playing against Belgian club teams every week

Edited by SpursFlu