Cyle Larin

shermanator

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Brazil is way too high there. Belgium Liga nos and turkey are better. I think Argentina is better than Brazil usually in Copa libertadores. 

The thing Brazil has over most of those other leagues is its pretty solid top to bottom. There aren't those 2 3 4 teams and then a big drop off. They have about 12 maybe even more solid teams that are very competitive. This year was a little different with Fla but there is a lot more parody than other leagues

Edited by SpursFlu

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Haven't the 2 best players in Belgium come over and played for TFC recently? Good players but I wouldnt say anything out of this world. Plus the first guy went to LigaMX and totally flopped. I've been watching a lot of Gent recently for obvious reasons and considering they're one of the better teams.. yah theyre ok. It's a nice little league but cmon. I think there are a few reasons Larin is doing better but a big reason that's the clearest of all is... he's playing against Belgian club teams every week

Do I really need to list the players who have come out of the Belgian League vs the MLS? Here's a very short selection:

Belgium:
Romelu Lukaku (Anderlecht - Inter)
Kevin De Bruyne (Genk - Man City)
Axel Witsel (Standard Liege - Dortmund)
Dries Mertens (Gent - Napoli)
Thibaut Courtois (Genk - Real Madrid)
Thomas Meunier (Virton - PSG)
Vincent Kompany (Anderlecht)
Jonathan David (Gent - ?)
etc
etc
etc

MLS:
Alphonso Davies (Whitecaps - Bayern)

Edited by Bertuzzi44

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

The Brazilian league routinely sends players directly to top European leagues. It's very good and the best league in CONMEBOL.

And thats exactly what the metric should be. How many exports does a countries league consistently provide to the top leagues. Brazilians are consistently sold all over the world from top leagues to bottom leagues. There's no question, reason why a lot of their players have high transfer fees and clubs pay them. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The metric was quality of players in the league.. Not quality of players who use to play there when they were 20 years old

I don't recall seeing Larin playing against Kevin De Bruyne this season

Well what it tells me is that the Belgian league historically has players talented enough to move on to top teams in the world consistently.

As you put it, Jonathan David plays in "a nice little league, but comeon". I wonder how do you think he rates against MLS players? Or is he just doing well (like Larin) because the Belgian league is relatively weak?

FWIW, Transfermarkt has the valuation of the Belgian league much higher than MLS (even with less teams). Also, David would be the highest market value player in the MLS by about €3M if he played there.

I just watched David play back to back games against the US. I'll use that as a barometer. There were lots of MLS players on the field. He's 19, he'll be great. He's doing well in a solid, trampoline league and last time I checked is rated as the 2nd highest valued player in that league

Edited by SpursFlu

To preface the following: I understand transfermarkt is imperfect and subjective.

I just took a look at Larin's value and it is at an all time high of $4.56 million. Anytime you visit a players page, transfermark provide links to players of comparable value and position. I will provide the list and please feel free to use it as a talking point in this league strength discussion:

COMPARABLE PLAYERS

Player Club Market value
Roger Martínez
CF América $5.70m
Serhou Guirassy
Serhou GuirassyFranceCentre-ForwardSC Amiens
SC Amiens $5.70m
Milan Pavkov
Red Star Belgrade $5.13m
Jordan Siebatcheu
Stade Rennais FC $5.13m
Peter Olayinka
SK Slavia Prague $5.13m
Alberto Cerri
Cagliari Calcio $5.13m
Blessing Eleke
Blessing ElekeNigeriaCentre-ForwardFC Luzern
FC Luzern $4.56m
Emmanuel Boateng
Dalian Yifang $4.56m
Mauro Manotas
Houston Dynamo $4.56m
Adrián Dalmau
Adrián DalmauSpainCentre-ForwardFC Utrecht
FC Utrecht $4.56m
Jack Marriott
Derby County $4.56m
Lucas Höler
Lucas HölerGermanyCentre-ForwardSC Freiburg
SC Freiburg $4.5
Edited by Obinna

41 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Hey guys, if you want more info why not just simulate a couple years in football manager, it would be just as accurate as all of your arguments. 

Hey BFBF, will you sim for me some MLS in FM and see how Chapman turns out compared to Marky Delgado??  I so want to rub it in Vanney's face when Chapman turns out better.  Thanks alot.  

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would welcome this. 

I would try. I think he has come back from a tough situation and seems to give what he can whenever I get a chance to see him.  

But Leeds have been Dirty Leeds (edited slightly) to my family since Rio went there in Forrest's time.  Them nearly bankrupting themselves a few years later and plummeting down a couple leagues was nicely poetic. 

With the David rumours and now Larin rumours, Could you imagine:

Davies In the bundesliga with bayern

David in the premier league rumours are (arsenal, Leicester, etc)

Larin in the premier league (Leeds gets promoted)

Millar on the best team in the premier league, Liverpool. 

Hoilett and Cardiff city are only 3 points out of a playoff spot. 

Arfield is still with Rangers.

I completely left out all our great MLS talent. 

Herdman stated in the last press conference you need a minimum of 6 tier one players if you want to make some noise at a World Cup, well here we are, pretty darn close. 

Its always a good time to be Canadian but it’s an exceptionally good time to be a national team die hard fan. 

Larin to Leeds doesn't make sense to me. Yes, they need a striker, but Bielsa requires you to be a tenacious and intelligent presser. Now, this is something you can learn so if Larin does somehow end up there I'd be thrilled if that part of his game took off, but I don't know why they'd want to take on such a project.

Tbf I haven't seen Larin since his move to Belgium, so I can't comment on his recent play.

8 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Larin to Leeds doesn't make sense to me. Yes, they need a striker, but Bielsa requires you to be a tenacious and intelligent presser. Now, this is something you can learn so if Larin does somehow end up there I'd be thrilled if that part of his game took off, but I don't know why they'd want to take on such a project.

Tbf I haven't seen Larin since his move to Belgium, so I can't comment on his recent play.

Larin seems to be playing further away from goal, moving a bit more, creating play. He is not scoring much but seems to be playing whole 90s, so his pace must be good, and perhaps his defending has improved.

I have only seen some highlights.

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Larin seems to be playing further away from goal, moving a bit more, creating play. He is not scoring much but seems to be playing whole 90s, so his pace must be good, and perhaps his defending has improved.

His work rate has improved significantly. Much more involved with  build up play. Don't think this was reported but he won the penalty that was converted for the only goal his team scored this weekend

32 minutes ago, El Diego said:

He works quite hard in the games I have watched.  There seemed to be a penny-drop for me early in the season and I give him credit for it. He has been subbed on and subbed off early a few times recently after doing 90' minutes for every league game until mid December. They have generally struggled late;y with only 2 wins (though they scored 5 in both) and 6 losses in 8 since then. They have a lot of attacking options, or at least players that have played striker before. 

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He is the number 9 and they play him like it, Bruno and Berahino and the Mexican Govea are usually behind him or on the wings in normal play. Vossen is another striker and they have played together recently and there is kid called Oberlin but Larin was back up front alone (at least most of the time) in the somewhat better loss on Sunday.

He does not run the break as much but I would say he leads the line most of the time. 

My two cents from a few games watched over the season, the Belgian league has weird times and so its is more watchable. It really seemed like his redemption arc, though they as a team have faltered a bit.  Interesting the rumours would crop up now.  

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He works quite hard in the games I have watched.  There seemed to be a penny-drop for me early in the season and I give him credit for it. He has been subbed on and subbed off early a few times recently after doing 90' minutes for every league game until mid December. They have generally struggled late;y with only 2 wins (though they scored 5 in both) and 6 losses in 8 since then. They have a lot of attacking options, or at least players that have played striker before. 

He is the number 9 and they play him like it, Bruno and Berahino and the Mexican Govea are usually behind him or on the wings in normal play. Vossen is another striker and they have played together recently and there is kid called Oberlin but Larin was back up front alone (at least most of the time) in the somewhat better loss on Sunday.

He does not run the break as much but I would say he leads the line most of the time. 

My two cents from a few games watched over the season, the Belgian league has weird times and so its is more watchable. It really seemed like his redemption arc, though they as a team have faltered a bit.  Interesting the rumours would crop up now.  

I stand corrected, you've seen whole games, I have not. I was just trying to guess from highlights, so that is interesting if he is doing the work up front and "leading the line". He really should be scoring more if that is the case.