Cyle Larin

shermanator

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was just trying to guess from highlights, so that is interesting if he is doing the work up front and "leading the line". He really should be scoring more if that is the case.

Probably. Some of their games have been very poor where they created little but he takes some of the blame and has been subbed. At beginning of the season he did not score for the month and bit but was making things happen once he settled in.

As mentioned he is still drawing penalties (his last couple statistical assists, I believe) and I remember his pressure on the keeper leading to a bad punch and an easy goal for Berahino to start their last win. Still some work being done but not a great patch for him or the team and yes he needs to find the net again soon.  He has been begging to take penalties again lately but has not been allowed since he missed earlier in the year.  And the guy that takes them is, I believe, captain and done well.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, Alex said:

With the David rumours and now Larin rumours, Could you imagine:

Davies In the bundesliga with bayern

David in the premier league rumours are (arsenal, Leicester, etc)

Larin in the premier league (Leeds gets promoted)

Millar on the best team in the premier league, Liverpool. 

Hoilett and Cardiff city are only 3 points out of a playoff spot. 

Arfield is still with Rangers.

I completely left out all our great MLS talent. 

Herdman stated in the last press conference you need a minimum of 6 tier one players if you want to make some noise at a World Cup, well here we are, pretty darn close. 

Its always a good time to be Canadian but it’s an exceptionally good time to be a national team die hard fan. 

I'm sure someone will come calling for Kaye if he keeps this up for one more season.  Tabla is still young, if he has a promising season with IMFC, you gotta think someone still has their eyes on him besides Barca. 

And for the biggest and most important long shot..... who knows, if Luis Binks loves it in Montreal and becomes settled he would be an awesome addition to CANMNT if he applies for the switch when allowed to in like 4-5 years or so!

2 hours ago, costarg said:

I'm sure someone will come calling for Kaye if he keeps this up for one more season.  Tabla is still young, if he has a promising season with IMFC, you gotta think someone still has their eyes on him besides Barca.

I can definitely see Kaye going to a good European league soon, although I honestly don't rate him as high as others do. For some reason he hasn't really impressed me with Canada recently.

16 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I can definitely see Kaye going to a good European league soon, although I honestly don't rate him as high as others do. For some reason he hasn't really impressed me with Canada recently.

Speaking of Kaye, he is not having the best of games tonight against Club Leon in Champions League. Seems a tad lethargic and slow to react to loose balls in the midfield. The commentators say he was involved at all during preseason, so perhaps that explains the rust.

As for Larin to Leeds, I have watched a few full games of his for Zlute Waregem, but nothing lately. From what I saw, he definitely has upped his work rate and has rediscovered some of his confidence, though he is still not in that Orlando City form. Somehow though, he seems to be a little more rounded, which is a good thing.

As for the Leeds part of this: I don't watch them but I know they are at or near the top. If they promote and bring in Larin for depth, I think it would be a good opportunity, even if he only plays sparingly in the EPL. Also worth noting that players can often surprise. Very few people saw Davies becoming a sure-starter for Bayern this year at left back. You never know what can happen for a player if he gets a chance and runs with it. That is what launched his MLS career with Orlando. The Lions had injuries after 4 games and Larin got the chance, scored, and the rest is history.

27 minutes ago, Bdog said:

To me Kaye has always been very inconsistent. I’ve watched many LAFC matches and more than you would expect he has awful performances like tonight 

30 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Belgium league seems to be a highly scouted league. Lots of players make the jump to better clubs from there. Larin must be impressing.

I am pretty sure he still leads his club in goals and assists. His club sit in 8th right now, I think. Not unreasonable that a Championship team with promotion aspirations are looking at a player with that profile. Furthermore, Leeds were interested even before he went to Besiktas, so this is not exactly out of nowhere.

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I am pretty sure he still leads his club in goals and assists. His club sit in 8th right now, I think. Not unreasonable that a Championship team with promotion aspirations are looking at a player with that profile. Furthermore, Leeds were interested even before he went to Besiktas, so this is not exactly out of nowhere.

I am just hoping he finally finds his way back to a high-scoring mode, as we saw in Orlando. Many of those goals had nothing to do with soft defending, he has this quick release blast from the top of the box, is tough in the air, he was not just tapping stuff in. If he finds that form again, along with everything else, his stock will rise.

Is he on loan in Belgium still? Besiktas is having a rather poor year.

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am just hoping he finally finds his way back to a high-scoring mode, as we saw in Orlando. Many of those goals had nothing to do with soft defending, he has this quick release blast from the top of the box, is tough in the air, he was not just tapping stuff in. If he finds that form again, along with everything else, his stock will rise.

Is he on loan in Belgium still? Besiktas is having a rather poor year.

Yeah me too. All of that comes from playing on instinct and from what I see he is not yet back to that. He has instead focused on rounding out his game. Once he combines the two he can reach his potential.

Yes, the loan is for a full season and Zlute Waregem have an option to buy for a couple million Euros, I think. 

Besiktas is having a poor season, but I don't see him going back there and rediscovering his form under those conditions. I don't know what it is, but something doesn't seem quite right at that club.

From the outside looking in, it feels like the champion spirit is gone from that group. Other clubs are now challenging the big 3 more and more as time goes on. Besiktas seem least capable of reasserting their traditional dominance.

Aside from all of that, the veteran Turkish striker, I can't remember his name but he's been capped 50 times and has played at all the big Turkish clubs. Yeah, that guy is still there. There is also a young up and coming Turkish prospect (again do not remember the name) who seems to be their current project. The fact they put an option to buy may mean they are looking to make a tiny profit from Larin and call it a day.

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Aside from all of that, the veteran Turkish striker, I can't remember his name but he's been capped 50 times and has played at all the big Turkish clubs. Yeah, that guy is still there. There is also a young up and coming Turkish prospect (again do not remember the name) who seems to be their current project. The fact they put an option to buy may mean they are looking to make a tiny profit from Larin and call it a day.

Burak Ylimaz?

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

Burak Ylimaz?

That's the one. When they added him that ate into Larin's minutes and then he Cyle went out on loan. I see now he has 19 goals on 30 league games. Is Larin really going to take his spot? 

Adding Ylimaz and not investing in Larin stinks of defaulting to what is familiar (he played at Besiktas before), instead of developing your asset and trusting in him. Not saying they were wrong to do this, but this speaks to why Turkey is not a place outsiders go for development, generally speaking.

Edited by Obinna

By the way, the youngster I was referring to was Güven Yalçın. He is 21 years old and has 10 goals on 33 league games, earning 3 Turkish caps. Pretty sure I have seen him line up at CF and according to wiki he stands at 6 feet, so probably a target striker and competition for Larin.

I haven't seen him play, but sounds like he's the new project and Larin is an afterthought who they sent on loan to get minutes. 

Unless Ylimaz moves on (he's 34) then I don't think Larin should return. Zlute Waregem probably would like to buy him considering he's scored 9 goals and 5 assists across all competitions.

Cyle and the whole team seem in a bit of a lull right now, but by seasons end he'll have improved upon those numbers.

He's an important player for them. Less so for Besiktas.

Edited by Obinna

Another okay game last night.

Very good movement (good enough that he sneaks a peek at the linesman for offside) and good idea for the "assist" on the first, not the best pass but it bobbles through a defender to the scorer.  

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/27994/goal-kv-oostende-1-1-sv-zulte-waregem-33-marcq

Second half was pretty lacklustre from their side and they were lucky to get the point.  

11 minutes ago, shamrock said:

It's been a disappointing season so far. He's been playing, I'd thought he would be netting braces and hattricks by now. Must say that Zulte definitely have a lesser squad than in previous seasons, so that doesn't help. 

I would say only really disappointing if you use David as your measuring stick, which is a nice measuring stick to have. 

I have liked what I have seen from him attitude-wise in getting his career back on track.  David and Davies have been nothing but miraculous for us in the last year, but having Larin playing and contributing in decent league is certainly something the national team can use. 

I'm sorry for writing this way but IT'S TIME TO BREAK THE MYTH ABOUT CYLE LARIN.

Cyle Larin has played for THREE clubs - the following are his goal rates for those teams across all competitions.

1 goal per 115 minutes

1 goal per 151 minutes

1 goal per 303 minutes

Now does anyone care to guess which clubs those correspond to?  Remember.. the narrative is that he was failed at Besiktas and that he is having a new lease on life in Belgium (he is, but perception is deception).

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I'm sorry for writing this way but IT'S TIME TO BREAK THE MYTH ABOUT CYLE LARIN.

Cyle Larin has played for THREE clubs - the following are his goal rates for those teams across all competitions.

1 goal per 115 minutes

1 goal per 151 minutes

1 goal per 303 minutes

Now does anyone care to guess which clubs those correspond to?  Remember.. the narrative is that he was failed at Besiktas and that he is having a new lease on life in Belgium (he is, but perception is deception).

Depends on how you measure it. He has had a new lease on life based on game time. However, if you base it on goals per game then obviously not, as you have demonstrated. He is a striker so that is concerning.

I wonder though, what do his assists per game look like? Would like to see that statistic. That's the thing about stats, you can use them to push whatever narrative you like. They are useful in that way.

For me the jury is still out on Larin. I am happy he is playing more and he's clearly been doing more playmaking, but I want to see him scoring more. There is still time left in the season for him to  score a few more. If his club do not make the Championship round (they are on the outside at the moment), there is a better chance he gets more goals.

Reaching double digits is still possible and although the goals per game is not great, at least getting +10 league goals is something for him to build on for next season.

He still has the better part of his career to figure it out and not many concacaf strikers would have put up +10 goals at a level similar to the Belgian First Division A, so he's still on a decent trajectory.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:11 AM, Obinna said:

I wonder though, what do his assists per game look like?

He had six assists in three seasons in MLS and had two last year in Turkey. So far he has eleven in less than a full season in Belgium. Can't be bothered to work out the assists per minutes played but his game has significantly transformed since moving to Europe and he's becoming a more complete player.

One thing I've noticed, the few times I've watched him this season, is that he's always looking to pass first even around the box where he would have tried to shoot earlier in his career. He may need to go back to being a little more greedy.