Cyle Larin

shermanator

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is incredible is it seems they put Larin's legally entitled 10% on the table for the negotiation.

Now I have no idea how that works, suppose that him being Generation Adidas, MLS want to give them a bonus if a club comes along and buys them. The whole principle of that is not to have MLS taking advantage of Generation Adidas, getting a high transfer for a player and not having to compensate him not being paid that well in the previous years. A club taking advantage with an option clause not recognized by FIFA, then wipes out the DO NOT TAKE UNFAIR ADVANTAGE OF THE PLAYER clause. What kind of "strong values of the club" are those?

Apparently, in negotiating a price, MLS said to Besiktas: if the kid waives his 10%, we slightly adjust down what we are asking for him. Of course Larin said okay, he wanted out.

BTW Besiktas played CUP today but no sign of Larin, not even on bench, and Hutch not in lineup either. Perhaps the international transfer will only come through now.

The option given to Larin was likely, we can make you sit for months while this plays out (or you risk a huge ban by playing in Turkey without the necessary transfer certificate - and I doubt the Turkish fed would have allowed that anyway) or you waive the 10% you're due - buy your way out of the contract.

I actually don't see much wrong with what Orlando has done. If the player had a contract (as Orlando claims) but is refusing to play and forcing a deal, it makes sense that he should contribute to the exit fee.

We haven’t heard how much he is making in Besiktas have we? Last year I believe he was making 192k, so if we assume a small bump this year to 200k, plus 10% of about 2.5 million that he forfeited for this deal would be about 450k total. Convert that to Euros and it’s about 363k. Is it safe to assume that he is making more than that per year at Besiktas?

51 minutes ago, Kent said:

We haven’t heard how much he is making in Besiktas have we? Last year I believe he was making 192k, so if we assume a small bump this year to 200k, plus 10% of about 2.5 million that he forfeited for this deal would be about 450k total. Convert that to Euros and it’s about 363k. Is it safe to assume that he is making more than that per year at Besiktas?

€1.6M/yr. according to the article about the Vagner Love signing.

8 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

The option given to Larin was likely, we can make you sit for months while this plays out (or you risk a huge ban by playing in Turkey without the necessary transfer certificate - and I doubt the Turkish fed would have allowed that anyway) or you waive the 10% you're due - buy your way out of the contract.

I actually don't see much wrong with what Orlando has done. If the player had a contract (as Orlando claims) but is refusing to play and forcing a deal, it makes sense that he should contribute to the exit fee.

If that is the case then I have to ask: did Camilo warrant any percentage of the transfer fee paid by Queretaro to the Whitecaps? Maybe he did not have anything coming to him.

And then: did the Whitecaps have to give 30% of the fees received to MLS? And if so, isn't that comparatively unfair, given that Orlando got to keep all the transfer? 

Shouldn't MLS be compensating the Caps retroactively to be in line with their favourable treatment to Orlando?

I know, I am asking nasty questions. I'm just irked by the MLS attitude they get their clubs to buy into, for me it is MLS' fault, and, from what I have read, to a great degree the fault of a very lax Players' Union.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If that is the case then I have to ask: did Camilo warrant any percentage of the transfer fee paid by Queretaro to the Whitecaps? Maybe he did not have anything coming to him.

And then: did the Whitecaps have to give 30% of the fees received to MLS? And if so, isn't that comparatively unfair, given that Orlando got to keep all the transfer? 

Shouldn't MLS be compensating the Caps retroactively to be in line with their favourable treatment to Orlando?

I know, I am asking nasty questions. I'm just irked by the MLS attitude they get their clubs to buy into, for me it is MLS' fault, and, from what I have read, to a great degree the fault of a very lax Players' Union.

Mate, I can't defend MLS' arbitrary and constantly changing (on the fly) rulings and interpretations. I guess the technical and shitty response could be, it's okay that the Caps were treated differently because, you know, we're all one organisation and not separate entities anyway. Who knows... Insert emoji of guy shrugging shoulders.

But I don't see any problem with the club playing hardball with a wayward player (again, assume under contract) and said player giving up cash on the table to make an exit.That 10 percent is probably already made up with signing bonus - and his salary will be higher. Definitely beats sitting on the sidelines without any pay for months and letting this thing play out.

12 hours ago, dsqpr said:

The interesting thing is, when you say something nasty about someone, it says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Here, here!  

This saga, and that press release in particular, makes the entire MLS look bad.  MLS is constantly faced with an uphill battle for credibility in soccer, and in Europe in particular. Sending out a release like that just sends the message that MLS is not fit for prime time. 

Now this is a more mature press release:

https://www.tsn.ca/dortmund-dominating-end-of-transfer-window-1.983797

Aubameyang left for Arsenal, completing his protracted move for 63.75 million euros ($80 million) - a record for the Premier League club - after a breakdown in relations with Dortmund, which dropped the player for two games for missing a team meeting.

It was the third time Dortmund had sanctioned the Gabon striker as a disciplinary measure in a little over a year.

"After the unpleasant events of the last weeks, we prefer to remember that the story of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was a success over more than four years," Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said. "He has done great things for Dortmund in this time, scored many important goals and is a part of the team that brought the German Cup to Dortmund in 2017."

Orlando fans on reddit are more than glad to see Larin go. Between the DUI, his lacklustre last year and now forcing his way out of the club there aren't a lot of good feelings left. It's best for both parties to get a new start and it will be interesting to evaluate Larin in a more structured context.

19 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Spend 400k to make 1.6M euros sounds like a good investment 

He spent less than 200k from what it seems, depending on who you believe. He gave up the equivalent of one MLS salary year.

But if you analyze this properly, normally a player who holds out with a club until the end of a contract and then goes on a free transfer is rewarded with a higher salary. It does not happen a lot, there are plenty of cases of major transfer fees being paid when a player has very little left on a contract. So you could argue that if he had been able to go free to Besiktas he would have warranted an even higher yearly take. 

5 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Orlando fans on reddit are more than glad to see Larin go. Between the DUI, his lacklustre last year and now forcing his way out of the club there aren't a lot of good feelings left. It's best for both parties to get a new start and it will be interesting to evaluate Larin in a more structured context.

Larin driving a young lady home from a nightclub, sloshed--that was the play of the year at OCSC!!