Cyle Larin

shermanator

My final understanding of the whole thing is that MLS having options on contracts isn't fundamentally the root of the problem. In this case, Orlando is wrong and abused their power in regards to Larin.

What makes things so unique in regards to MLS is that rulings that went the players leagues were against their clubs, not the leagues. MLS being a single-entity holding all the contracts means that a ruling against MLS could potentially be a ruling against the entire league.

So single entity having its advantages just showed up a big flaw... you're one f'up away from a greedy incompetent front office from embarrassing an entire league and make it vulnerable. Now its clear why MLS had no choice but to step in to end this, regardless of what it took. Orlando idiots were willing to go to court with this lol.

Larin only having a $15 000 pay increase on the 1st option year is really comical and I doubt Orlando would have stood a chance in this case. 

4 minutes ago, matty said:

Does going to Bulgaria really elevate Larin? I seem to recall people wishing Milan had gone to MLS over Ludogorets because the level in Bulgaria was lower

In my opinion it beats only training and not playing much or possibly even dressing for the next few months.  Come back to the team in the summer and get a full camp and go from there.

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

In my opinion it beats only training and not playing much or possibly even dressing for the next few months.  Come back to the team in the summer and get a full camp and go from there.

I agree with that but it feels like it would be a step down (competition wise) from both the rumoured Super Lig loan or MLS.

Just now, matty said:

I agree with that but it feels like it would be a step down (competition wise) from both the rumoured Super Lig loan or MLS.

He wasn't playing MLS given all the drama there lol.  As for Super Lig, could be it fell through.  I can't see teams holding up plans waiting for Larin with all the BS there was.  I like Larin but he's not exactly world class lol.  Most likely moved on the plan b, c, d or whatever.

Just now, Rheo said:

He wasn't playing MLS given all the drama there lol.  As for Super Lig, could be it fell through.  I can't see teams holding up plans waiting for Larin with all the BS there was.  I like Larin but he's not exactly world class lol.  Most likely moved on the plan b, c, d or whatever.

Oh yea agree with most everything you said here. MLS was dead now but if this loan happens I almost wish everything had gone the right way so he'd stick with OCSC for now on loan and can see not waiting for him when you're in a relegation battle.

Google translate and Besiktas fans on twitter tell me that Larin did not travel to their game tomorrow in Konya. In some, Larin was called "the not ready/fit Larin" and in others the reason was that Beisktas was at the limit for foreign players. Apparently they can have 12 foreign players on a squad of 21. All this too say, until Larin is game ready he isn't going to be on the pitch and I imagine he'll be watching from the stands against Bayern Munich next week.

26 minutes ago, matty said:

Does going to Bulgaria really elevate Larin? I seem to recall people wishing Milan had gone to MLS over Ludogorets because the level in Bulgaria was lower

I prefer the loan to Ludogorets over staying in MLS, on loan or otherwise.

First of all, I don't mind him dropping down a level, because it is on loan. I don't think the Bulgarian league is a big step down. The club itself is the biggest team and probably on par with your typical MLS team.

He'll play and train with other internationals. He'll probably get decent playing time. He'll be in a winning environment. They will likely win the league again, so he'd get a chance at silverware. What's not to like?

The club is also still alive in Europa League. They have a tough match up against AC Milan, with the first league going today. They are underdogs, but Milan are struggling in Serie A, so you never know. Should they advance, Larin may get some minutes in that competition too. That would be a positive.

4 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Google translate and Besiktas fans on twitter tell me that Larin did not travel to their game tomorrow in Konya. In some, Larin was called "the not ready/fit Larin" and in others the reason was that Beisktas was at the limit for foreign players. Apparently they can have 12 foreign players on a squad of 21. All this too say, until Larin is game ready he isn't going to be on the pitch and I imagine he'll be watching from the stands against Bayern Munich next week.

Understandable. He hasn't played since 2017.

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

First of all, I don't mind him dropping down a level, because it is on loan. I don't think the Bulgarian league is a big step down. The club itself is the biggest team and probably on par with your typical MLS team.

He'll play and train with other internationals. He'll probably get decent playing time. He'll be in a winning environment. They will likely win the league again, so he'd get a chance at silverware. What's not to like?

The club is also still alive in Europa League. They have a tough match up against AC Milan, with the first league going today. They are underdogs, but Milan are struggling in Serie A, so you never know. Should they advance, Larin may get some minutes in that competition too. That would be a positive.

Agree 100%. Plus it is always good for players to experience different styles of play and be forced to adapt to different situations. Larin did not have much more to learn in MLS, even if the Bulgarian league as a whole is a lower level than MLS he is going to have to learn to score in different circumstances and with different teammates, something that he has not been able to do with the national team so this could be beneficial for him/us in many ways.

Edited by Grizzly

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree partly the league itself is the issue (it is a noticeable drop from MLS). While we can mention training, winning and Europe, the bulk of action will be in a weaker league than he was in last year (if the loan is real).

While training is a plus, staying where he is would be better for that in terms of level.

Overall the move (should it happen) is OK but a little lacklustre compared the loan rumours prior.

10 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Agree 100%. Plus it is always good for players to experience different styles of play and be forced to adapt to different situations. Larin did not have much more to learn in MLS, even if the Bulgarian league as a whole is a lower level than MLS he is going to have to learn to score in different circumstances and with different teammates, something that he has not been able to do with the national team so this could be beneficial for him/us in many ways.

This is the biggest plus of the loan I feel. Learning non-American soccer in an environment he has plenty of support. He'll get a new experience for sure. Still kind of wish it was happening with a Super Lig club.

I know the loan hasn't happened yet, but Lugodorets lost 3-0 to Milan.

Not good as far as Larin's chances of getting Europa league minutes with them goes.

They also fell to CSKA Sofia in the Bulgarian cup QFs.

With only the league left to play for (1 point lead at the top currently), I wonder how many minutes they could even afford Larin?

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

This.  It's a great learning experience, especially off the pitch.

To me, I think he really does need a culture change, both on and off the field, in order to grow as a player.

22 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Haber 1903, a pretty good Turkish source, says that Larin is the 4th choice striker and that the team has informed him he will go on loan until the end of the season. Besiktas is currently considering loan offers from China, Russia and Ukraine and a loan should be completed in short order.

Hopeful for Russia but if Larin ended up in the Chinese Super League it would be funny.

23 minutes ago, matty said:

Hopeful for Russia but if Larin ended up in the Chinese Super League it would be funny.

Russia or Ukraine would be my preference (in that order), but I wouldn't actually mind if he went to China for the rest of the season. He'd definitely get playing time and the league is a similar level to MLS (perhaps not as good, but similar). We talked about him learning to score in different environments so that would be a good challenge for him.

Edited by Obinna

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Russia or Ukraine would be my preference (in that order), but I wouldn't actually mind if he went to China for the rest of the season. He'd definitely get playing time and the league is a similar level to MLS (perhaps not as good, but similar). We talked about him learning to score in different environments so that would be a good challenge for him.

Fully agree on Russia being number 1, I think almost any team there, like Turkey, would be a good starting point for him to work up from. It was actually my favourite league for him after Belgium.

Kind of hazy on the Ukraine over China, just because the league itself seems to be having these yearly massive changes, but do think it's stronger and if he's with a winning club there it would help him.

China would be a decent change of pace for him and would force him to change his game. It would also be a blow to MLS if their rising star had to stop in China for more development for Europe LOL.

All 3 are very different from the MLS and better than Bulgaria, so hope one works out. I look forward to seeing the Changchun Yatai chest on him.

If it's to Ukraine, I'd be hoping it's Dynamo Kiev or bust.

I don't see Shakhtar taking him on as they already have 3 or even 4 attacking options I'd rate higher than Larin in Fred, Marlos, Ferreyra etc. Plus they usually only play with a single striker up top, and there's no way he's taking any minutes away from Ferreyra, or even any of his understudies. Would just be Besiktas 2.0 log jam.

Dynamo Kiev would be extremely intriguing however. They lost Yarmolenko to Dortmund a few months ago. If Larin joined right now he'd instantly be the second best attacker after Junior Moraes, or even a 1B...I could definitely see him taking some of his minutes away or even playing alongside him in a different formation. Kiev also is in Europa league, and just drew AEK Athens away in the first leg, so they have a real shot at advancing.

Any other team in Ukraine would be a step down from MLS and just a waste of time. There is a massive drop in quality after Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev.

9 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I think people are overestimating the perceived quality of MLS in Europe. Larin has yet to prove himself in Europe. If he has to drop down a level to do it then so be it. If he bangs them in he will quickly get the chance to do it at a higher level.

I think Europe’s perception of MLS is pretty warranted. The defense in the MLS is pretty bad. There are some really good attackers, but the defense is sloppy. It is good for Larin to try and prove himself against more organized and stronger defense.