Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Transfermarkt has him at €3.5m, which I think is in the right ballpark. And everybody knows the fee goes down when the player is in the final year of his contract. So, if Larin's contract were legit, probably €2.5 would be about right. Under the current circumstances I'm going to say €1.5 would be about right just to get it done.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/cyle-larin/profil/spieler/343463

Pretty close I think, good analysis. 

I hope it goes to arbritration and they ask Orlando how they could reasonably expect to get anything more for a player they were only guaranteeing 192 grand a year. I mean, you have a player you are being cheap with, underpaying, and then all of a sudden, when it comes to a transfer fee, he is oh so valuable? That is a glaring contradiction.

I really want to know what they offered him in compensation for the unilateral extension at Orlando. There is a Paul Tenorio article from last May, quite complete, that argues that he would probably deserve 7 million over the next four years as a salary adjustment comparing to other strikers in the league; and that he was worth 1.5 million a year at least, but that Orlando would be unwilling to raise his base salary of 150 grand by ten times. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-transfer-value-mls-orlando-city-analysis-complicated?page=0%2C2

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Orlando City disputes report it reached Cyle Larin transfer deal with Beşiktaş

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/orlando-city-sc/orlando-city-disputes-besiktas-transfer-cyle-larin/

• Orlando City said from the beginning of this ordeal it hoped to come to terms without having to bring the case to FIFA.

I think Besiktas used that to force the price on Larin down.

Edited by Ansem

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/orlando-city-sc/orlando-city-besiktas-finally-reach-agreement-striker-cyle-larin/

Full details of the transfer are not yet known, but Beşiktaş will pay Orlando City a seven-figure transfer fee higher than the estimated $2.3 million previously reported by various Turkish media outlets.

Orlando City will keep the full amount of the transfer fee because of the lengthy ordeal instead of giving 30 percent to the league and 10 percent to the player as is usual for a third-year Generation adidas player, per sources.

5 hours ago, spinrack said:

Maybe playing with Hutchinson on a regular basis will create some kind of dynamic that transfers over to the national team.
We can only hope.

I don't know if it will make that much of a difference tbh. Hutchinson's days are pretty numbered with the national team anyway.

It will make it all that more reason to follow Besiktas though.

8 hours ago, matty said:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/orlando-city-sc/orlando-city-besiktas-finally-reach-agreement-striker-cyle-larin/

Full details of the transfer are not yet known, but Beşiktaş will pay Orlando City a seven-figure transfer fee higher than the estimated $2.3 million previously reported by various Turkish media outlets.

Orlando City will keep the full amount of the transfer fee because of the lengthy ordeal instead of giving 30 percent to the league and 10 percent to the player as is usual for a third-year Generation adidas player, per sources.

It is usual in these circumstances for the former team to exaggerate what they made in the transfer, while the new team will downplay it. No one wants to look like they got burnt. In any case, since the dollar is very weak against the Euro, this "higher than the estimated..." phrase could have to do with exchange rate fluctuations the last few weeks. I would not put it past them.

Love how MLS can just skip their own rules arbitrarily, basically, in this case, to save face. I mean, the rules say Larin was entitled to 10%, but hey, we're MLS, screw him. We are happy Orlando did not take the case to FIFA, and risk the entire MLS system of arbitrary option clauses, so thank-you OCSC, we'll pay you off for not rocking the boat. Juridically they constantly improvise, single entity is a clan mentality, the rules exist for the family to stay happy, not to be applied rigorously.

3 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

"...Although the Club was disappointed with the unacceptable behavior of the athlete and his representatives, a decision was taken to guarantee compensation with the Club’s future in mind.

The Club looks forward to focusing on the upcoming season with staff and players who honor and respect the strong values of the Club and commitment to our community to lead us through 2018 and beyond."

harsh

5 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Orlando reminds me of TFC when they first started out,

They got all the off-the-field stuff nailed but the team itself seems like a mess. Also starting to think Kreis isn't able to function in today's MLS.

There was a time he seemed like the type of guy the US might put in charge down the line but between poor results and the off-field issues Orlando has had (which might not be related to him but is still difficult to overlook) it's difficult to see him as the type of guy you would want leading your team in 2018 MLS.

51 minutes ago, matty said:

"...Although the Club was disappointed with the unacceptable behavior of the athlete and his representatives, a decision was taken to guarantee compensation with the Club’s future in mind.

The Club looks forward to focusing on the upcoming season with staff and players who honor and respect the strong values of the Club and commitment to our community to lead us through 2018 and beyond."

harsh

Nice spin they put on that one.

Edited by Obinna

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Conveniently left out the transfer to fee to avoid admitting they got way less than they wanted 

They reportedly wanted $6.2m USD (5m euro), then it was reported they got $2.3m, then it was reported they got more than that so Imma guess they got likely half of what they wanted.

20 minutes ago, matty said:

They reportedly wanted $6.2m USD (5m euro), then it was reported they got $2.3m, then it was reported they got more than that so Imma guess they got likely half of what they wanted.

What is incredible is it seems they put Larin's legally entitled 10% on the table for the negotiation.

Now I have no idea how that works, suppose that him being Generation Adidas, MLS want to give them a bonus if a club comes along and buys them. The whole principle of that is not to have MLS taking advantage of Generation Adidas, getting a high transfer for a player and not having to compensate him not being paid that well in the previous years. A club taking advantage with an option clause not recognized by FIFA, then wipes out the DO NOT TAKE UNFAIR ADVANTAGE OF THE PLAYER clause. What kind of "strong values of the club" are those?

Apparently, in negotiating a price, MLS said to Besiktas: if the kid waives his 10%, we slightly adjust down what we are asking for him. Of course Larin said okay, he wanted out.

BTW Besiktas played CUP today but no sign of Larin, not even on bench, and Hutch not in lineup either. Perhaps the international transfer will only come through now.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

We dont yet know for sure what the exact number is but we have the ballpark of 2 million US which is far lower than market value for Larin. 

Transfermarkt has him at 4.3 million US, but everything had pointed to a much higher fee. 

From the Four Four Two article from last year: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/cyle-larin-transfer-value-mls-orlando-city-analysis-complicated

One league source put it bluntly: It’s more likely Larin is signed to a long-term Designated Player contract this year than it is that he’s sold for more than $5 million.

“It’s anywhere between $4.5 and $5.5 million,” said one MLS technical director whose team has sold multiple players.

Currently, the top offers for Larin are coming from Belgium, but a source with experience dealing in that market said it’s unlikely any team in Belgium will bid more than $3.5 million. The two official bids for Larin received by the league were for $2 million, according to a league source.

Unless English Premier League teams enter the picture, it is unlikely Larin fetches more than $5-6 million

One source indicated the team may not approve a sale even if it’s north of $7 million.

...And all they got for him in the end was 2 million.  Ha ha.  So happy.  MLS tried to screw with our best young prospect, and he won out in the end.  Sigma showing yet again they know what theyre doing and will not be messed with.

22 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

...And all they got for him in the end was 2 million.  Ha ha.  So happy.  MLS tried to screw with our best young prospect, and he won out in the end.  Sigma showing yet again they know what theyre doing and will not be messed with.

In this case though, isn't it a Canadian in MLS trying to "screw" with one of Canada's best young players. I'm assuming Budalic must have been calling some of the shots here for Orlando at the very least.

44 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Orlando didn't exactly take the high road with that statement. No thanking Larin for his many goals, or wishing him luck in the future.

Kinda dickish actually.

Not good PR for MLS/ Orlando..... Former first round pick , rookie of the year, MLS rookie scoring record.....you don't put that stuff in your press release. Looks really pathetic