Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

Does Sigma stand to collect any compensation?

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

As far as compensation...does Sigma get a piece of that pie as well??    OOPS, beat me to it ALEX D.  

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Hoping Sigma gets the money

Based on current solidary contribution rules, Sigma would be due 3% of any transfer fee. So assuming the rumoured 3.5 million euro fee, that would work out to 105,000 euro for Sigma, or about $160,000 Canadian.

4 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Agree with a lot of what you say, but disagree on the trade/spirit of contract argument. Trades are part of the North American game, and all players understand them before signing (especially true of North American players). Don't agree to it, then don't sign in a league with trades.

On ability to break contracts - agree with contract break clause. But without, I do believe a player should honour the deal. In many cases, a bonus is paid or the wage structure may feature an early balloon payment. To accept these, then want to break early is really unfair to the club. Moreover, players love the stability a long term contract brings. One club (and only one club) may take a flyer on a player with a history of injuries and offer a multi-year deal, if it pays off they should benefit and not be ditched at the first opportunity. The player with the 4 year contract certainly wouldn't agree to being ditched by the club if year 1 went poorly.

MLS - yes it is a legal quagmire waiting to happen. I do not think it is in bad faith, but rather they will deal with it when sued and they have to do so. Until that day (which may never come), avoid it. Companies do this all the time, universities too.

You seem to be equating Larin's situation with the idea of leaving early, and just walking away from the club during the main contract period.  That is not the case.  The  current issue is just about one portion of the contract - an optional year after the main contract period that can be unilaterally exercises by the club.  That is what other legal processes (albeit in Europe) have ruled are not enforceable.  It's not like Larin is walking away a year after being signed.  It's also why it is a very different scenario than   Your example of a player with a 4 year contract being ditched by the club after one year.  

1 hour ago, Zem said:

Based on current solidary contribution rules, Sigma would be due 3% of any transfer fee. So assuming the rumoured 3.5 million euro fee, that would work out to 105,000 euro for Sigma, or about $160,000 Canadian.

Sigma also works as Cyle's agent, so they'll make money from that aspect as well.

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

You seem to be equating Larin's situation with the idea of leaving early, and just walking away from the club during the main contract period.  That is not the case.  The  current issue is just about one portion of the contract - an optional year after the main contract period that can be unilaterally exercises by the club.  That is what other legal processes (albeit in Europe) have ruled are not enforceable.  It's not like Larin is walking away a year after being signed.  It's also why it is a very different scenario than   Your example of a player with a 4 year contract being ditched by the club after one year.  

Sorry, I was responding to @Unnamed Trialistin the abstract, not for Larin's situation - I should have been clearer.

In Germany unilateral option year contracts are fairly common but the salary of the option year is always negotiated in the initial contract and player buyout clauses allowing them to buy themselves out of the contract to become a free transfer are also common. Both sides are given some protection in that if the club wants to extend the contract they usually need to pay a significant penalty to do so (a significant salary increase) while if the player wants to leave the contract early he has to pay a significant financial penalty. It seems to me that the unethical and possibly not legal/not to FIFA standard part of the MLS contracts is not that clubs have an option year but that the salary of the option year is not specified other than I suspect maybe a requirement for a slight wage increase.  

23 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I'm not equating anything, I am simply reporting what the jurisprudence seems to say, on the basis of the article I linked to. If you don't agree with it, fine, just read it, summarize it better than I did, and let the parties involved know where they are wrong. 

http://www.asser.nl/SportsLaw/Blog/post/exploring-the-validity-of-unilateral-extension-options-in-football-part-2-the-view-of-the-drc-and-the-cas-by-saverio-spera

Legal decisions are made on the basis of the laws (FIFA, local labour), principles established in them, precedents, and interpretations of how  the specific details of a case correspond to one or another position, balancing contrasting criteria. Arguing that "a contract is a contract", for example, or that "he signed it so he has to shut up", is a deliberate choice to ignore the law, not defend it.

The problem with these options is that if a club just says it is an extension, then it is not in fact an option. If they argue they raised the salary to indicate it is a real option being exercised, the player can simply say that his salary was already improved earlier in the initial contractual period, which is the case with Larin. So on what basis can the club apply the option as a binding contractual criteria if the player chooses to leave? This seems to be the question FIFA answers "no basis" to.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Besiktas looking to sign one of Welbeck, Hernandez, Slimani or Iheanacho. This would confirm previous news that if they do sign Larin, he would be loaned out

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3352577/danny-welbeck-javier-hernandez-among-besiktas-targets-sources

Confirm is too strong of a word. It is the silly season of transfer speculation in England, and most is bullshit. ESPN particularly noted for this. There is no doubt It is certainly plausible, including the loan speculation, but I’d note that 3 of the names were tossed around before there any substance to the Larin transfer so it could just be a rehashing of old speculation.

4 hours ago, Gordon said:

Confirm is too strong of a word. It is the silly season of transfer speculation in England, and most is bullshit. ESPN particularly noted for this. There is no doubt It is certainly plausible, including the loan speculation, but I’d note that 3 of the names were tossed around before there any substance to the Larin transfer so it could just be a rehashing of old speculation.

yeah it's certainly a crazy time.....lots of fun though with all the speculation. Besiktas have a date with Bayern Munich on the horizon and have ground to make up in the Turkish Liga, ( I think only 1 Champions League spot is available for the Turkish Liga or is there a playoff?) so it does seem plausible that they are looking to sign a striker with proven Euro experience to replace Tosun, as Negredo has not delivered to date.

Just now, harrycoyster said:

Turkish media reporting Larin deal has broken down and he will now sign with Olympiakos in Greece.

Source

Ugh, that is so disappointing, but they are a good side and he should get more of a chance there. This has got to be disappointing for Larin though.

Just speculating that Djurdjevic would be Larin's main competition at CF. 

He's a 23 year old Serbian and fwiw he has the same valuation as Larin on transfermarkt.com.

Scored 4 goals in 12 league games so far in Greece, and before that scored a stagering 28 goals in 34 games at Partizan. Also had prior spells in Serie A and the Eredivisie, but doesn't look like they were very successful.

He's not yet a full Serbian international, but scored 16 in 31 for their U-21 team.