Cyle Larin

shermanator

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, I was curious where he ranks in La Liga since January 24th- he’s already 26th in la liga this season (giving him the tiebreaker for players with 5 goals considering games played)- I guess he’d be second behind Unal who is playing out of his mind.

on that note, this goes to show how insane JD’s form is. Larin looks absolutely dominant right now, which he is, but you look over at David who has doubled him up in the same span of time. Just incredible form from our strikers right now. I don’t know what I’ll do with myself if Larin gets one against Madrid. Might have to fire up my Larin *to* Madrid agenda.

De Guzman only had one total, but against el Real.

I'm concerned, they could be in relegation going into the international break, with RM on the horizon.

I never woulda believed it if someone told me a Canadian dude would show up in La Liga 2023 and score 5 in like ~500.  I still have a hard time believing it with the stats in my face right now.  Absolutely bonkers reality we're living in boys. 

Those dark days finding and watching a dodgy and crappy stream, just trying to find a healthy and attached 11, praying for a win vs CONCACAF minnows in ~2014-6 seem so far away.

So happy for this guy, gotta find a way to make him and David click.  I'm thinking 4-4-1-1 is probabaly our best bet at the moment.

Just now, costarg said:

I never woulda believed it if someone told me a Canadian dude would show up in La Liga 2023 and score 5 in like ~500.  I still have a hard time believing it with the stats in my face right now.  Absolutely bonkers reality we're living in boys. 

Those dark days finding and watching a dodgy and crappy stream, just trying to find a healthy and attached 11, praying for a win vs CONCACAF minnows in ~2014-6 seem so far away.

So happy for this guy, gotta find a way to make him and David click.  I'm thinking 4-4-1-1 is probabaly our best bet at the moment.

I think it's still a 5-3-2 which is what we should have run at the WC.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:02 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

If the team does the job vs Curaçao, perhaps you could allow certain players to skip Honduras, but you have to be careful.

A reminder that we are actually 3 points behind Honduras right now. A win against Curacao gets us level on points. The tie breaker would be on our side, but we would still need a draw against Honduras to clinch top of the group.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

A reminder that we are actually 3 points behind Honduras right now. A win against Curacao gets us level on points. The tie breaker would be on our side, but we would still need a draw against Honduras to clinch top of the group.

Never mind a win in Curacao will be tough to begin with. 

15 minutes ago, costarg said:

I agree vs CONCACAF, but I don't feel we stood a chance playing vs the big boys with 2 strikers.  Had to load up behind the ball.  

Depends.  If you had Larin up high and JD dropping back just a bit as a combo forward/attacking-mid (like a 5-3-1-1 or a 3-5-1-1) I don’t think it would necessarily be fatal.  

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I agree vs CONCACAF, but I don't feel we stood a chance playing vs the big boys with 2 strikers.  Had to load up behind the ball.  

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Depends.  If you had Larin up high and JD dropping back just a bit as a combo forward/attacking-mid (like a 5-3-1-1 or a 3-5-1-1) I don’t think it would necessarily be fatal.  

Well what we did end up doing got us a nice 0-3 at the WC.

6 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Any articles out there on Cyle and what the local fans think about him or fans of the league in general.  Is he making any waves in the league or media.

This one from a few days ago, from a media outlet in Valladolid:

https://diariodevalladolid.elmundo.es/articulo/deportes/larin-presente-futuro/20230314225901452685.html

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Good summary of his time so far in Valladolid

Cyle Larin, faithful to the appointment with the goal... despite the bad game of the team
The Canadian already equals Sergio León. He has scored in five of the eight games he has played.
Jose Luis Roji as.com March 19, 2023

Pacheta's team barely appeared in last Saturday's match, leaving a very poor image , but the one who did make it was their fittest gunner, Cyle Larin, who is on his way to marking an era at Real Valladolid ; Of course, he has already left his mark since since he broke into the team he has not stopped scoring. With the goal he scored against Athletic, he already has five goals in the minutes he has played, which is not that many, since Pacheta was cautious with his new striker and in his debut against Valencia he went out onto the field with 15 minutes remaining and he had plenty left over for mark the victory in the last breath.

Later he did not start against Real Sociedad either, but also coming off the bench he scored the winning goal. He, too, was not a starter against Osasuna and although he had minutes, he did not score (0-0). At Villamarín he was already a starter, but his goal against Betis did not add points (2-1). Neither he managed to score in the match in Vigo (3-0), nor at home against Espanyol (2-1).

In the next two games he did manage to add to his goal tally. In the 4th minute at the Martínez Valero it was 0-1 although Elche ended up drawing 1-1 and finally, for the moment, they added what they did to the Basque team although it did not serve to score points.

Cyle Larin has accumulated 511 minutes spread over those eight games, starting five of them, since Sevilla he has not ceased to be a starter and his figures have drawn the attention of various teams both in Spain and abroad . At this point and with his participation in those eight games, he has already reached Sergio León, who also has five goals this season to his credit. The Canadian player remains faithful to his appointment with the goal despite the poor performance of the rest of the team and the little football that he produces under Pacheta to enhance the virtues and multiply the opportunities of his scorer.

Pretty random but travelling with my wife in Vietnam at the moment and asked a couple to take a photo of us in front of a monument and we would return the favour. Turns out they are from Valladolid, so of course I brought up Larin. The man was excited to tell me that he’s doing great and “he has already scored 5 or 6 goals!”

Was pretty cool and figured I’d share.

I saw something (twitter?) that mentioned part of the agreement with RV is that the buy option can be triggered if he hits 6 goals (I imagine a guarantee to remain in La Liga is also part of the agreement). Does anyone know about this? My concern has been that Brugge brings him back next season, glues him to the bench because they don’t know what they’re doing, and all his progress is erased. 

also, the article posted above links to an article from last week about two premier league teams monitoring him- nothing too serious, but they’ve got an eye on him. It’ll be exciting seeing where he ends up after this season as long as it’s not back to Brugge.