Cyle Larin

shermanator

9 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Six weeks ago, I'd never seen or heard of this stadium. But, it just might be in my Top 5 favourite football grounds in the world. MLS should be building 20 of that, rather than the bullshit horseshoes they love so much.

The renders for the final phases are very nice too.

Have to appreciate this is an excellent crowd for 2 on a Sunday, when Spanish families are usually having big meals. In a city of 300,000… and 7-8 degrees.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

26 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Six weeks ago, I'd never seen or heard of this stadium. But, it just might be in my Top 5 favourite football grounds in the world. MLS should be building 20 of that, rather than the bullshit horseshoes they love so much.

Eh… the horseshoes are much more a Canada thing than an MLS thing. 

Outside of San Jose, I’m struggling to think of a recently built MLS stadium in the U.S. that fits the horseshoe design aesthetic.

27 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Larin wins a header that ultimately leads to a 2nd goal for his team. He also helped by occupying the attention of both CB’s for Espanyol to allow the goal scorer to be free in the box

His build-up play has always been underrated, IMO. Although in recently years he’s getting more recognition for his abilities to help create goals than he was earlier in his career.

We often see him described as a poacher, opportunistic, knows where to be to score, etc., but he regularly starts or facilitates attacking plays and has underrated vision.

1 hour ago, RS said:

His build-up play has always been underrated, IMO. Although in recently years he’s getting more recognition for his abilities to help create goals than he was earlier in his career.

We often see him described as a poacher, opportunistic, knows where to be to score, etc., but he regularly starts or facilitates attacking plays and has underrated vision.

His build up play has improved notably since his first year in Orlando and also having the opportunity to play wider in Turkey also added to his skillset.

He goes to net and dangerous areas well, and that in turn makes space for others.

2 hours ago, RS said:

I think he's being well coached and he's bought in. His defensive movements are simple and precise, he doesn't turn off. While he's definitely a target he'll leave the high position to associate with mids and wings. Then he likes to drift into the far post for crosses, he hides a bit. I see he's often covered by a mismatch, like a shorter mid, by doing this.

They're not a hugely talented team but very competent in all lines, and he looks quite comfortable in the set up.

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Very nice goal from a pass into the area as he broke towards goal and he first-times it, seemed easy but was technically very good. 

As it went off a defender they may give an own goal but really shouldn't, it was going towards goal.

It looks like it was a minor redirection so I am hoping it stays attributed to him.  My understanding is that if the initial shot is goal-bound (and isn’t massively redirected) it usually stays with the striker.  

My wife used to work with the father of the Elche keeper, who was not a good person, don't have to go into details but a real treat that guy. 

I have no evidence Edgar Badia is like that, he's worked hard to rise from lower divisions to top flight in a few years, and previous seasons he's been excellent. 

Anyways, always a pleasure to see him scored against by one of ours.

8 minutes ago, spitfire said:

What a crazy end to a game!! Bonkers!! Player gets a 2nd yellow for clapping his yellow!!

Great  entertainment!!

so happy Cyle got another goal really show good players in the right environment flourish!!

I think that was a culturally myopic second yellow for Hongla from the ref. The guy has just come in from Italy, he can't be expected to know the codes. Anyone applauding a yellow is interpreted to be ironizing, to be mocking the ref, so they knee-jerk pull out those second yellows for disrespect. But it's narrow minded reffing, you have to consider a person could applaud a yellow because he acknowledges he deserved it. What is the ref, a semiotician, an expert in non-verbal language?

Elche probably deserved to tie, Valladolid sat back a lot after their goal, most of the 1st half, late in the second, Elche had lots of attacks and corners, and then RV was playing with 10 those minutes. I think they should be happy with the point though they may end up missing the other two.

Larin had a chance to back-heel a teammate clear at the top of the box and if it'd been a bit harder it might have worked.

He has four goals, given his team 7 points with them so far.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist