Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not Larin, it's the mentality of the clubs. Valladolid, Getafe, Leganes, 2nd tier teams like Burgos, Alcorcón, they are Real Madrid fans first, when many club owners and presidents are Madrid club members. If they lose and even relegate it's only bothers them a bit because RM is their 1st team .

This match is so typical. 

Espanyol will also let themselves get screwed by them  if it can hurt Barça in the league.

Madrid will get played totally differently vs the Basque teams, Osasuna, the Andalusian teams. Even Deportivo de Coruña played them tough.

So do Atletico de Madrid, obviously.

This match is cookie cutter, which is why I normally want teams like this to relegate. And yes, Pacheta is a small town Castillian who played for Espanyol, he's a Madrid ally in the crunch.

So what you're telling me is that I should've bet the house on the game despite the odds being -500 for RM to win.

Edited by Ally McCoist

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Passing through Barcelona, and I’ve seen multiple RV jerseys (and a shocking proportion of Espanyol flags vs Barca?) on the streets, though unfortunately none donning the name of their superstar striker.

If you are in Barcelona this week let's say hi.

I've never seen Valladolid shirts here.

Espanyol, well they are sort of stigmatised and kids often get bullied for wearing them. I am a rare Barça fan who is not anti-espanyolista.

Certain neighbourhoods of Barcelona, and the metropolitan area, have higher % of Espanyol supporters, for various complicated reasons. One is social class, uptown, wealthier. Another is when a town has a basketball or other sports team that rivals Barça, like Joventut in Badalona which was Ricky Rubio's home team, out there many won't or can't go against Barça in basketball and with them in football.

3 hours ago, Joe1973 said:

Valladolid fired the coach. After yesterday's performance I don't blame them at all, but hope the new coach sees Cyle as a major part of this team.

He threw the game, he did not deserve to continue. 

These guys are more concerned about being able to hob-knob in Madrid with their Madrid fan buddies than doing their job. By the way, another guy like this: Benito Floro. They make like they are honourable and rectified then throw matches vs. Real Madrid.

37 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He threw the game, he did not deserve to continue. 

These guys are more concerned about being able to hob-knob in Madrid with their Madrid fan buddies than doing their job. By the way, another guy like this: Benito Floro. They make like they are honourable and rectified then throw matches vs. Real Madrid.

Never been a big fan of jumping on the bandwagon of "thrown away matches or fixed matches", but Holy crap yesterday I was left scratching my head.

Just for shits and giggles, go and look at that Benzema goal where he had an incredible shot outside the box. The play leading up to it, the defenders were holding the line and i think it was Vini Jr who was out of play way offside; the guy in middle just completely breaks the line, runs back and gets behind Vini, right before the pass is made to him which plays him onside, and then sets up Benzema goal. 

By the was, not implying at all that Valladolid would have won yesterday...they are not at level of Real Madrid so this result was expected and the battle of relegation games coming up are more important, but something was off yesterday.

So the coach threw the match, lost his job because of it, and it was all some sort scam for him to win social status and cow tow to the soccer overlords in Madrid?  Couldnt have been that RM were a much better side??  I sure hope that this doesnt adversely effect Larin though, if they were going to save him for next match, lets hope he bags a goal or two there and keeps getting minutes.  

I guess I have always been a bit more pragmatic about these sorts of games for teams that are facing almost certain defeat.  You are going into a super hostile fortress environment and facing a top team whose payroll absolutely dwarfs yours.  It is as close to a forgone conclusion as you can get - and the bookies reflected that reality.  

Facing that sort of scenario you can try your hardest regardless of the anticipated outcome, even if it also impacts your chances of getting a result in your next, more winnable match.   Alternatively, you can field a weakened team in the fairly certain loss and maximize your chances of getting points in the more winnable match.  

Under those circumstances I definitely understand the choice of option 2 - especially if it is a team scrapping for every point they can get when threatened with a realistic possible of relegation.  I think it is more complex than just throwing a game.   

@dyslexic nam it's what happened and what it probably is of course. A major injury in this game would have been devastating given they had 0 chances to win coming in. Even despite that, 2 Valladolid players came out injured. Just made it a tough watch seeing that one side came in with 0 ambitons. 

For us, main thing is for Cyle to continue to get that consistent playing time which has been missing before this move. 🤞

46 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So the coach threw the match, lost his job because of it, and it was all some sort scam for him to win social status and cow tow to the soccer overlords in Madrid?  Couldnt have been that RM were a much better side??  I sure hope that this doesnt adversely effect Larin though, if they were going to save him for next match, lets hope he bags a goal or two there and keeps getting minutes.  

If you haven't watched La Liga ever, don't understand it, know nothing about its ins and outs, how do you expect anyone to have an intelligent conversation with you?

Obviously RM are favourites. But Ronaldo Nazario de Lima the owner, who was in the presidential box and who played for both Barça, winning the Golden Ball, and Real Madrid, saw it clearly. I did too, it was laughable. Pacheta was not threatened at all before this match. But anyone could see he did not prep it, the team was not ready when they were all together for the entire international window, they bent over and let themselves get drilled in the arse. Maybe you also noticed he did not play his most in-form striker, which for Ronaldo was sacrilege, being a premium striker himself. 

I realise if you are ignorant, you are ignorant, and you seem to take delight in being ignorant quite a bit lately. But Real Madrid is every year gifted points from teams like this, I've seen it for 30 years. I mean, it was the laziest rival they've seen all year, they made Benzema look good and Benzema before yesterday had like 7-8 goals from open play, he was not far ahead of Larin.

In fact, one of the reasons that fair-sized Castillian cities who could have top flight teams don't, and never have, not in the entire history of La Liga, is because Madrid is their first team, that is Burgos, León, Salamanca, Toledo, cities as big as many others in top flight and many of them rich cities. But they don't, they just defer to Madrid, it is their first team. And when they get to top flight, they do not fight them hard, they roll over and play dead. 

If it bothers you that you don't have a clue, it is not my fault.

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

HEHE...you are not the only one who can troll.

I'm the only one here who in the middle of the match said they basically "threw" the game and explained why. If you were to speak with the guys at Atlético Ottawa they'd agree, it is so blatant it's not funny.

If you look at what I was posting yesterday, I was the only one here to provide an explanation for Real Valladolid and Ronaldo to fire him after losing at the Bernabeu. Which does not seem reasonable. Even when they are not even in relegation. Thankfully the club president is not a dupe.

Like you said I dont follow La Liga more than cursory (other than that wonderful RM channel on Roku, so entertaining.. I love it), and dont really care about internal RMvsBARCA squabbles or spanish politics.  I just knew you would freak if someone questioned you about anything related to Spain and you didnt disappoint.  

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you are in Barcelona this week let's say hi.

I've never seen Valladolid shirts here.

Espanyol, well they are sort of stigmatised and kids often get bullied for wearing them. I am a rare Barça fan who is not anti-espanyolista.

Certain neighbourhoods of Barcelona, and the metropolitan area, have higher % of Espanyol supporters, for various complicated reasons. One is social class, uptown, wealthier. Another is when a town has a basketball or other sports team that rivals Barça, like Joventut in Badalona which was Ricky Rubio's home team, out there many won't or can't go against Barça in basketball and with them in football.

Granted, this was on the Barceloneta boardwalk, so very good chance they were tourists. Not sure if the neighbourhood is an “Espanyol” neighbourhood- I think Camp Nou is closer than Espanyol’s stadium. I also saw some Madrid jerseys as well, so there was really just about anything. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Like you said I dont follow La Liga more than cursory (other than that wonderful RM channel on Roku, so entertaining.. I love it), and dont really care about internal RMvsBARCA squabbles or spanish politics.  I just knew you would freak if someone questioned you about anything related to Spain and you didnt disappoint.  

Like you freaked if anyone dared to touch one of the sacred sons of Manitoba. 

Ronaldo may be looking at Paolo Pezzolano, a Uruguayan who coached Cruzeiro in Brazil, which he also owns. Seems the candidate played in La Liga, has never coached in it though. 

Been reading fan comments, and many say Pacheta should have been replaced after losing badly to teams at their level, like that Celta Vigo loss, or the draw vs. Elche. So there is not great disappointment he's being replaced.

Pezzolano confirmed as their new coach. He took Cruzeiro from 2nd division to top flight, but then again: Pacheta did the same last season with Valladolild. 

They need to be a much tougher team and the squad has to be competing internally much tougher. My opinion: Ronaldo will insist he play Larin as long as he's healthy, and not screw around with ineffective strikers.

https://as.com/futbol/primera/pezzolano-dirigira-al-real-valladolid-en-su-busqueda-de-la-salvacion-n/

In other news, I'm planning to go to Villareal two Saturdays from now to see them play.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Also got regular keeper Masip back, I think he's sharper than Asenjo who is a veteran but not as good. Still don't have Machis starting, his arrival with Larin was the real boost, missing him has hurt the team. 

They are still above relegation even with direct rivals playing already, but if they don't get at least a draw they will slip into a relegation spot on goal difference. It's probably a must-win, but they've had a few of those lately.