lazlo_80

Players you expect to see in the CPL

16 minutes ago, RS said:

Why should Canadians be counted as domestic in the USL Championship when there are exactly zero Canadian teams in that league? It makes no sense, as does getting upset over it.

Hang on a second..You can't say going on any type of rant, accurate or not and swearing at Americans doesnt give you a nice warm feeling inside..its science. 

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Hang on a second..You can't say going on any type of rant, accurate or not and swearing at Americans doesnt give you a nice warm feeling inside..its science. 

Fair point.

It’s good news for the CPL. The players coming home will strengthen the league short term. If the league expands, with Ottawa, Quebec and Saskatchewan in the next few years, these players coming back will help keep the level of play at least where it currently is.

While it makes sense with no more Canadian clubs in the division on the other hand it isn’t great if you’re a player trying to make it. 

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I don’t see it as payback at all.  There are no more Canadian teams in the league and now there is the CPL, Canadians should be considered international players.  The same way Americans in the CPL should be considered international players.

How about all americans being domestic on CDN MLS clubs, but not the other way around? Ughhh.  You guys are right, why do I care, we have our own league now.  I should just let it go......

hqdefault.jpg

14 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

It’s good news for the CPL. The players coming home will strengthen the league short term...

Think this only applies to the USL Championship rather than D1 and D2 where there are still Canadian teams. USL Championship teams have seven international roster spots. Given its relatively easy to get a green card in an American context (from what I remember Nana Attakora has one, for example), it's not going to be mission impossible for Canadian players to make it onto rosters. This will have an effect, but it's unlikely to be a massive exodus.

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Cyprus. Bloody random. 

I guess that if he does well there he could get noticed elsewhere in Europe.

Nea Salamis Famagusta FC

• 1st Division, currently 5th overall (Top 6 qualifies for Championship round)
  • Grounds : Ammochostos Stadium - 5500 seats (Natural Grass) 2126495_w2.jpg

Last year performance...one spot short of Europa Playoffs Capture.PNG.a1ac917440f8a91c1fa752138560dad8.PNG

I know it is irrelevant because Telfer is gone to T&T now, but wouldn't this kind of move increased his chances to play for Canada? The Crypus league is better (probably) than the Belgian First division B, especially near the top of the table, which is where Nea Salimis currently find themselves.

It is fun to think about even though it is now sadly hypothetical. I still disagree with those who think Telfer would not have had much of a Canada career.

I can see him doing well in this situation, possibly jumping up another level from here and/or playing in the Europa League.

Any player who finds themselves playing Europa League football in the tournament proper would be a shoe-in for our team. Perhaps not a sure-starter, but definitely in our pool.

By the way, last time I checked Telfer has 3 goals in 6 caps for T&T.

One could argue this international experience made him even more attractive, and it would be extremely likely he'd get those chances with Canada so quickly.

Nonetheless, he now has his chance in European football. What he makes of it will surely tell us whether or not Telfer truly was a loss for the Canadian program. I am very interested to see how he does!

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I know Hoyle didn't work out so good, but Myer Bevan has 12 goals in 11 matches in the NZ Prem. I think he has a Canadian passport.

He does, he'd be a pretty interesting signing at 22 and a current NZ international.