Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

It’s good news for the CPL. The players coming home will strengthen the league short term. If the league expands, with Ottawa, Quebec and Saskatchewan in the next few years, these players coming back will help keep the level of play at least where it currently is.

While it makes sense with no more Canadian clubs in the division on the other hand it isn’t great if you’re a player trying to make it. 

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I don’t see it as payback at all.  There are no more Canadian teams in the league and now there is the CPL, Canadians should be considered international players.  The same way Americans in the CPL should be considered international players.

How about all americans being domestic on CDN MLS clubs, but not the other way around? Ughhh.  You guys are right, why do I care, we have our own league now.  I should just let it go......

hqdefault.jpg

14 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

It’s good news for the CPL. The players coming home will strengthen the league short term...

Think this only applies to the USL Championship rather than D1 and D2 where there are still Canadian teams. USL Championship teams have seven international roster spots. Given its relatively easy to get a green card in an American context (from what I remember Nana Attakora has one, for example), it's not going to be mission impossible for Canadian players to make it onto rosters. This will have an effect, but it's unlikely to be a massive exodus.

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Cyprus. Bloody random. 

I guess that if he does well there he could get noticed elsewhere in Europe.

Nea Salamis Famagusta FC

• 1st Division, currently 5th overall (Top 6 qualifies for Championship round)
  • Grounds : Ammochostos Stadium - 5500 seats (Natural Grass) 2126495_w2.jpg

Last year performance...one spot short of Europa Playoffs Capture.PNG.a1ac917440f8a91c1fa752138560dad8.PNG

I know it is irrelevant because Telfer is gone to T&T now, but wouldn't this kind of move increased his chances to play for Canada? The Crypus league is better (probably) than the Belgian First division B, especially near the top of the table, which is where Nea Salimis currently find themselves.

It is fun to think about even though it is now sadly hypothetical. I still disagree with those who think Telfer would not have had much of a Canada career.

I can see him doing well in this situation, possibly jumping up another level from here and/or playing in the Europa League.

Any player who finds themselves playing Europa League football in the tournament proper would be a shoe-in for our team. Perhaps not a sure-starter, but definitely in our pool.

By the way, last time I checked Telfer has 3 goals in 6 caps for T&T.

One could argue this international experience made him even more attractive, and it would be extremely likely he'd get those chances with Canada so quickly.

Nonetheless, he now has his chance in European football. What he makes of it will surely tell us whether or not Telfer truly was a loss for the Canadian program. I am very interested to see how he does!

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I know Hoyle didn't work out so good, but Myer Bevan has 12 goals in 11 matches in the NZ Prem. I think he has a Canadian passport.

He does, he'd be a pretty interesting signing at 22 and a current NZ international.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Ansem said:

So...

Time for a CanPL move after relegation to D3 in Scotland? 

No.  He's got a foothold in Scotland.  I'd rather he keep playing over there than return to Canada.  I think half the point of the CPL is to develop players to move them on to Europe.  Plus, if you bring him back he's then taking the spot of another potential player here.

By the sounds of it, Partick players either have contracts with big wage cuts (40%+) or release clauses for relegation. I read somewhere that Zannatta has a two year contract so it will likely depend whether Partick stays full time and what's in his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a release clause as I'm sure he had no intent to go from Hearts to the part-time third tier. He could probably find another team in the second tier to take him on, but it seems like he didn't really have the expected impact since he moved from Hearts. If he's tired of making peanuts far from home, Can PL is certainly a possibility.

I think Can PL has value both as a springboard to Europe as well as a safety net for those returning - no harm or shame in coming back. It could be argued the league and the Nats are better off with a young with potential player back from Europe in Can PL than a seasoned pro seeing out the last glimmers of his dream.

Edited by The Real Marc

7 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

...I wouldn't be surprised if he had a release clause as I'm sure he had no intent to go from Hearts to the part-time third tier...

Have to wonder sometimes whether some of the people who talk about "Europe" in awestruck terms have any concept of what a trip to Stranraer or Montrose on a rainy Saturday afternoon in February can be like and of how much lower the playing standards can be in lower tiers in smaller European countries relative to what they are used to watching from the English Premiership or La Liga.

Normally a club like Partick Thistle with a core home support of 2000 or so (oops better not mention home crowd averages like that as a measure of how big a club is, because I was told I was out to lunch on here early last year highlighting that and suggesting that there were probably better options than Adjei and Ferguson to be found in Canadian amateur leagues) would stay full time under these circumstances, but we are not in normal times right now.

35 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Have to wonder sometimes whether some of the people who talk about "Europe" in awestruck terms have any concept of what a trip to Stranraer or Montrose on a rainy Saturday afternoon in February can be like and of how much lower the playing standards can be in lower tiers in smaller European countries relative to what they are used to watching from the English Premiership or La Liga.

Normally a club like Partick Thistle with a core home support of 2000 or so (oops better not mention home crowd averages like that as a measure of how big a club is, because I was told I was out to lunch on here early last year highlighting that and suggesting that there were probably better options than Adjei and Ferguson to be found in Canadian amateur leagues) would stay full time under these circumstances, but we are not in normal times right now.

I agree about overrating certain European leagues. I think the only third tiers of any real worth in terms of both play and pay are Germany and England. Even Spain 3rd tier, with 4 divisions and a minimum wage at under 3000 euros a month, is not at all romantic, and you won't save a dime, and promotion is extremely difficult. You will play a high level, and you have to be a good footballer (good enough for CPL for example), but little more.

I would consider any European 2nd tier a valid option just because you are going to get looked at by better teams, whether Slovakia or Denmark or Scotland, and your prospects are going to be solid. But 3rd tier in most places is only a "good" option if you are young, or if you have other reasons to be where you are, like a wife working as a teacher in the local Swedish school district.

Agreed. I think we're still having a bit of the hangover from not having our own league - so the prospect of someone playing "full season" soccer (which is not the same as “full time” but that’s another post) outside the country was preferable to a summer playing in the A League. So I can appreciate the reaction. But I think you're both right

I could see the logic in a young guy hanging around in the Spanish lower leagues for the soccer education side of things but as much as I love Scottish soccer I'm not sure that argument really holds for that league.

I mean, who has emerged to a top tier or meaningful Nats career from the Scottish lower leagues for us?  Anyone since Hastings?  (And he was a limited player of value at a very specific time.) Not Gasparotto, not Aird, not Bottiglieri or Huggon, not that kid who played with Elgin City, neither Poz nor Trafford (yet) on to better, my mind is fuzzy on others but not Niall Thompson. I know I'm a broken drum on this issue but are the facilities, coaching, spotlight sufficient to make playing in front of 800 people for for survival money worth it?  Before, yes. Now, probably not if you can come home and make 30-40k as long as you don't end up sold to a sketchy team in the Chilean third tier. :)

Edited by The Real Marc

I’ve always hated how people seem to refer to Europe as a single destination or objective in footballing terms. Every level of play exists there, and they’re certainly not all superior to what we have at home. Zanatta has been in Scotland for 5 years now and his career seems to have stagnated. It may be time for him to move on