Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

I'm bored and it's been a while we've been waiting for new leaks about the league so I thought it might be fun to discuss players you expect to see in the league.

3 ground rules:

1. lets assume the cap is around 1.5M as some rumors have said

2. lets assume MLS doesn't have a plan to make Canadians domestics, as that would definitely change things.

3. Don't take this too seriously. No need to argue over the viability of a 1.5M cap or whatever, there's a ton of other threads on here those sort of things are being discussed.

Some players I expect to see: 

Nana Attakora

Mark Anthony Kaye

Callum Irving

Mo Babouli

Amer Didic

Keven Aleman

8 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Anyone that has been in Europe for at least three years and hasn't made it to a top league (or really good second division), anyone in the nasl or usl, and D3 all stars. 

Excluding MLS2 USL guys. Outside of a couple clearly on the outs (ex. Mannella), I think anyone in the development track for an MLS team will stick it out for now. Most will probably filter to CPL eventually though 

Edited by Complete Homer

I think with the euro players it'll depend a little more on age. I could see a 21 year old sticking it out more than a 25 year old. You figure those players would want bigger salaries than the North American players at the moment. I'm not sure if across the board they'd all be worth it.

Just going off the MNT picture

I think the league will be perfect for early guys who be be in their late 20s and early 30s to spend the twilight of their careers. Guys like Hainault, Ricketts, Jackson, Haber, de Jong, Dixon, Edgar and Johnson would be able to help shape the new league and provide much needed outreach with communities while remaining active in the sport at an age when many are forced into, instead of stepping into, retirement.

Also guys like Bekker, Straith, Ouimette, Tissot and Morgan would be good fits with the early years of CPL and would benefit from it being there.

I would love to see many of the Calgary Foothills players from the 2016 run land in CPL. In particular, Dominic Russo, Elijah Adekugbe, Dylon Powley, Mitch Bauche, Ajeej Sarkaria and Dominic Zator.All but Powley were Canada West All-Stars this past season.

If we're talking about more seasoned pros, I would like to see Morgan, Bekker and Ouimette. Also Carreiro and Aleman.

Edited by shermanator

One interesting side effect of this league is it's possible you begin to see where the level of all the different leagues are in this country.

For example, how does a League 1 ontario star compare to a PDL star, or a USL player or an NASL player? 

I think some of those comparisons will be interesting to watch

26 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

One interesting side effect of this league is it's possible you begin to see where the level of all the different leagues are in this country.

For example, how does a League 1 ontario star compare to a PDL star, or a USL player or an NASL player? 

I think some of those comparisons will be interesting to watch

I've long thought that is a not often talked about benefit for the CPL. Not just the local leagues, but it will be easier to compare players. As it stands, if someone goes on a good run of form in the Norwegian 2nd tier, it's hard to know what that means compared to another player in the Swedish 3rd (or whatever other obscure leagues). With players dotted across leagues, rarely 2 in the same league, it's got to be hard to pick the ideal team for any camp. If we have a base of players playing in Canada, our coaching staff will be better able to see who really is in the best form from that pool of players. Of course there will still be players in other leagues, but hopefully the CMNT player pool players that aren't in CPL will be in more readily accessible leagues, or with a more clearly understood playing level.

Not including any FC Edmonton or Ottawa Fury players;

1. Marcus Haber
  2. Massih Wassey
  3. Jayson Leutwiler
  4. Mason Trafford
  5. Tomer Chencinski
  6. Simon Thomas
  7. Luca Gasparotto
  8. Matt Lam
  9. Daniel Haber
  10. Colin Jacques

Not so much as expect these guys, but would like to see these guys in the league

Edited by deschamp86

Year 1 and 2 I think you see some hesitation with players worried about playing in a league of unknown level. From then onwards I expect that the majority of anyone making less than 50-60k who is single passport and not a young guy gunning for the top will be in CPL. There will still be the Piettes who are trying to work their way up a pyramid, dual nationals who don't see Canada as home, guys who enjoy living abroad, and of course guys playing at a higher level, but I think the economics of a shortage of Canadian talent will drive prices up for Canadians and make it desirable to "come home."

If the Canadian league ends up being an ok level, I could even see some players eligible through a parent coming out of the woodwork for a paycheck. Not high level guys, but I could see a few opportunists jumping on board over time, some of which might turn out useful

Edited by Complete Homer

Whats Shaun Saiko up to?? Selling cars in alberta??  Didnt Paul Hamilton become a firefighter a few years back?  Is Jaimie Peters in shape??

Seriously, L1O allstars, anyone on the outs with MLS/NASL (Bekker,Ouimette,Manella,Cordon,Roberts,Dunfield hehe), some of the lower european league guys and a smattering of USL/CIS/NCAA guys to fill out the roster.  It would be nice if a high percentage of the keepers were CDN.  So a potential 6-8 team league with roughly half the roster CDN, 70-80 guys.  Those first few years they'll be sweeping the streets clean for bodies to fill the spots until more established guys decide to come.  

Like many I'd guess it's just about our entire non academy USL and NASL players plus the L1O  all stars.

That's probably about 20-25 USL players and 20 NASL players and say 12/22 L1O   all stars and  maybe 10/22 PQSL all stars.

From abroad I'd guess that we'll see guys like:

Simon Thomas

Dejans Jakovic  

Adam Straith

Sam Piette  

Marcus Haber

Andre Hainault  

Issey Nakajima  Farran

Iain Hume

Caleb Clarke 

Kevin Aleman

Randy Edwini  Bonsu 

Hanson Boakai  

Those 12 guys plus there's probably a few other guys playing in lower level European  teams who may come back.

That's pretty much what I could see happening and it probably forms a good Canadian league core.  

Edited by baulderdash77

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

Any players wanting to help make CPL a great soccer league would be ideal. 

that's a great point. career-wise, it could be a strategic move for the <1988 professionals to get in and put in some sweat equity on the pitch level for a few years. they'd be able to contribute to the potential growth pattern of the league, establish their network and then be able to transition into management/administration as the clubs and league scale.

14 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

Absolutely not. If you're not getting minutes in the sub-par MLS you don't deserve to play professionally. Canada can do much better than MLS/USL players, who are downright raw sewage.

When is this mystery group of players your planning to unveil?

We have roughly 200 professional players in total and that's scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as leagues and eligibility.  Of that there's roughly 25 MLS players and maybe 10 total playing at a level higher than MLS.

The rest of our 150-160 players are at a level lower than that and struggle to get jobs.  That's the CPL player pool.

There's another 400-500 or so kids playing for an MLS academy, NCAA, L10 and CIS.  From those ranks maybe 40 or 50 have legitimate professional potential.  That's the future depth of the CPL.

Right now there's no where for the 150 current and 40-50 future professional players to go except for about 2-3 MLS spots per year plus dubious prospects in Europe.  

17 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

When is this mystery group of players your planning to unveil?

We have roughly 200 professional players in total and that's scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as leagues and eligibility.  Of that there's roughly 25 MLS players and maybe 10 total playing at a level higher than MLS.

The rest of our 150-160 players are at a level lower than that and struggle to get jobs.  That's the CPL player pool.

There's another 400-500 or so kids playing for an MLS academy, NCAA, L10 and CIS.  From those ranks maybe 40 or 50 have legitimate professional potential.  That's the future depth of the CPL.

Right now there's no where for the 150 current and 40-50 future professional players to go except for about 2-3 MLS spots per year plus dubious prospects in Europe.  

Yes the Canadian pool will be dire in the early stages of the league. The hope is that we are a league who caters to the domestic player much like Germany. If that's so, teams will be forced to establish an academy quickly and start promoting their young players.