Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Octavio is right.

The fact that not one poster here, supposedly people with some critical perception of the game, is willing to back his criticism of the pay for play system, just shows that the game in Canada is lost. This is a major structural problem, it is tantamount to corruption in many cases (because parents and kids are getting conned out of their money), and solidifies a mentality where real competition is not valued. You cannot go anywhere with this suburbanite mentality, it is a dead end road. 

Another thing is if there might really be that many quality undiscovered kids who cannot afford their local club.

This might be one of the weirdest takes I've seen. You've been around this board more than long enough to have read, and participated in, many debates on pay-to-play, possibly on one of the other half dozen occasions when OZ has brought it up unprovoked in the last 3 years. The fact that nobody's jumping on it now, just because OZ has decided it's time to beat that dead horse once again doesn't say much at all, in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Where is this exactly? Soccer is now the leading sport in participation terms. Sounds like you are talking about how things were 40 years ago.

You've experienced small town prairie life?? Sounds like you are talking out of your ass, as per usual.  

OK, I will try myself. But as I am not very familiar import players, I will "cheat" and use loans from other teams.

From the TransferMarket list:

Goalkeeper - Tyson Farago

Defenders - Mallan Roberts, Daniel Gogarty, Andres Ferenga, Maxin Tissot

Midfielders - Thomas Gardner, Massih Wassey, Dario Zanatta, Ben McKendry, 

Forwards -  Mark Gonzales, Simeon Jackson

Players obtained through loans:  Brian Wright (NE, MLS), Tajor Buchanan (NE, MLS), Ashtone Morgan (TFC, MLS), Manjrekar James (FC Midtjylland), Jordan Peruzza (TFC, MLS), Thomas Hasel (GK, VWFC, MLS), Simon Colyn (VWFC, MLS), Clement Bayiha (Impact, MLS)

OK. I cheated, but here is a 19 player squad as an expansion CPL side. All Canadians. I need one more goalkeeper.

OK, managers, tell what works and what does not.

8 minutes ago, Ian Kennett said:

OK, I will try myself. But as I am not very familiar import players, I will "cheat" and use loans from other teams.

Players obtained through loans:  Brian Wright (NE, MLS), Tajor Buchanan (NE, MLS), Ashtone Morgan (TFC, MLS), Manjrekar James (FC Midtjylland), Jordan Peruzza (TFC, MLS), Thomas Hasel (GK, VWFC, MLS), Simon Colyn (VWFC, MLS), Clement Bayiha (Impact, MLS)

OK. I cheated, but here is a 19 player squad as an expansion CPL side. All Canadians. I need one more goalkeeper.

OK, managers, tell what works and what does not.

Morgan plays for RSL. James is above cpl level. But overall not bad. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Morgan plays for RSL. James is above cpl level. But overall not bad. 

OK, Mikmacdo, let's make a change or two. Morgan is listed on the RSL supplemental list, so he may not play much in MLS, so he stays. 

James will be dropped if he is too far above CPL level.

Add: Nyal Higgins (TFC, MLS), and Alistair Johnston (Nashville, MLS)

Players obtained through loans:  Brian Wright (NE, MLS), Tajor Buchanan (NE, MLS), Ashtone Morgan (TFC, MLS), Nyal Higgins (TFC, MLS), Jordan Peruzza (TFC, MLS), Thomas Hasel (GK, VWFC, MLS), Simon Colyn (VWFC, MLS), Clement Bayiha (Impact, MLS), Alistair Johnston (Nashville, MLS)

On 7/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Octavio is right.

The fact that not one poster here, supposedly people with some critical perception of the game, is willing to back his criticism of the pay for play system, just shows that the game in Canada is lost. This is a major structural problem, it is tantamount to corruption in many cases (because parents and kids are getting conned out of their money), and solidifies a mentality where real competition is not valued. You cannot go anywhere with this suburbanite mentality, it is a dead end road. 

Another thing is if there might really be that many quality undiscovered kids who cannot afford their local club.

The fact that you are blindly backing his criticism shows that you're completely lost. 

Octavio is utilizing an American issue and talking point and lumping us in there when he shouldn't. Even though both countries' youth soccer scene is heavily pay to play in nature, that is where the similarities begin and end. The demographics that play the sport here and the demographics that play the sport there are completely different. Soccer in the United States is for the most part a white, suburban college sport and over here it is a sport that is played by anyone and everyone. 

Our cities are not demographically divided between suburbs and "inner-city" when it comes to the subject of youth athletes. Again, that is an American thing that has no context to us at all. Soccer over there is played in the suburbs, which tend to be heavily white and that's where most of the high level youth clubs will operate, which completely ignores the inner city kids, which is basically a fancy way of saying it ignores the African American athlete. That is what Zambrano is getting at. Our soccer clubs (A GTA context anyhow) operate all over the place (Toronto proper and the outer communities like Brampton, Vaughan, etc.) and yes, we have some ethnic clusters here and there but there is no clear demographic divide between the suburbs and inner city like it is in the USA. Yes, the pay to play could be a potential obstacle to some but it is not nearly as bad as he states, especially considering the fallacies I just pointed out.

Stick with Spanish football UT. You do not know this sport in a Canadian context at all.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Is that you Duane?

As a one off season/tournament, I would love to see this!
I don't think they'll win a game...but it allows the CPL teams to use more of their young guys in those games against TFCII. 
I'm for it, just not permanently. 

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

As a one off season/tournament, I would love to see this!
I don't think they'll win a game...but it allows the CPL teams to use more of their young guys in those games against TFCII. 
I'm for it, just not permanently. 

The league has nothing to gain business-wise doing this. You can be sure that the 3 MLS teams would use this precedent to apply pressure to get their reserve squads in the league cementing the "2nd rated league below MLS"

Not that everyone isn't aware of CPL's place on the pecking order but right now, they are being "different" & "independent" of MLS which is the right move.

Never understood how some can praise the business-focus of MLS and turn around and ask CPL to leave their business interests at the door and just do the right thing.

TFC II place is helping the Sask Series organizing friendlies or having them with L1O, not serve as a trojan horse to help Manning's narrative.

Nothing stopping TFC from taking more Canadians to the 1st team and give them minutes in the tournament. CPL shouldn't have the burden of helping out when TFC could do it all along. They could loan some players to CPL clubs

Edited by Ansem

10 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I'd like to see Okello, Nelson and Marshall-Rutty, at least, loaned to CPL clubs if they aren't getting playing time with TFC, even over the TFC II players.

the whole TFC front office are Americans viewing CPL as a threat to their monopoly so there you.

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL did it's part. It's on the 3 MLS teams to do theirs if they truly care about players getting some much needed playing time.

Which goes to show everyone how concerned the MLS clubs are about developing players.  They would prefer to have their young players sit at home rather than train in a professional environment and play minutes in meaningful games.

Come on Duane, Pantemis is with WPG, Boskovic is with Calgary, there have been some loans, and before all this the CPL didnt want too many eh?   Plus TFC was thinking they still had a USL-1 season a week ago.  They still have time to send Peruzza to WPG with Hundal, etc. Its not like we know when the CPL is firing up anyway.    , 

5 hours ago, Ivan said:

I'd like to see Okello, Nelson and Marshall-Rutty, at least, loaned to CPL clubs if they aren't getting playing time with TFC, even over the TFC II players.

I think Nelson will play with Achara getting injured.