Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

50 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I’ve always hated how people seem to refer to Europe as a single destination or objective in footballing terms. Every level of play exists there, and they’re certainly not all superior to what we have at home. Zanatta has been in Scotland for 5 years now and his career seems to have stagnated. It may be time for him to move on

Not all Europe is equal, you're right.  Going to Finland isn't the same as going to Spain.  The whole argument of getting over to Europe is two fold.  There are more eyes on the game there so you have a better chance of continuing to climb the ladder and make a career out of the game.  The second is the competition, iron sharpens iron, you aren't going to grow as a player is you aren't pushing yourself.

For Zanatta, being in Europe, it is probably easier to try to stay in Europe than to come back to Canada and get a 2nd shot overseas.  

23 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

By the sounds of it, Partick players either have contracts with big wage cuts (40%+) or release clauses for relegation. I read somewhere that Zannatta has a two year contract so it will likely depend whether Partick stays full time and what's in his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a release clause as I'm sure he had no intent to go from Hearts to the part-time third tier. He could probably find another team in the second tier to take him on, but it seems like he didn't really have the expected impact since he moved from Hearts. If he's tired of making peanuts far from home, Can PL is certainly a possibility.

I think Can PL has value both as a springboard to Europe as well as a safety net for those returning - no harm or shame in coming back. It could be argued the league and the Nats are better off with a young with potential player back from Europe in Can PL than a seasoned pro seeing out the last glimmers of his dream.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the CPL as a safety net, but I also think people on this board are way, way to quick to suggest players should come back.  In this case, Zannatta's team was just relegated and on the same day there's the "Well, time for him to come home" post.  At the very least, I'd prefer the player sees what else is out there in Europe before looking to come back.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the CPL as a safety net, but I also think people on this board are way, way to quick to suggest players should come back.  In this case, Zannatta's team was just relegated and on the same day there's the "Well, time for him to come home" post.  At the very least, I'd prefer the player sees what else is out there in Europe before looking to come back.

It’s been 5 years and 5 different clubs and at 23 he’s set to spend yet another season in the Scottish 3rd division. It’s not that quick and it’s not because of today’s events alone that I want to see home move on. He’s a decent player that belongs in a bigger stage than the lower Scottish tiers. He might get a shot elsewhere but it would sure be nice to have him back on the island. We don’t exactly have a ton of local talent in the squad

Edited by Aird25

17 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Agreed. I think we're still having a bit of the hangover from not having our own league - so the prospect of someone playing "full season" soccer (which is not the same as “full time” but that’s another post) outside the country was preferable to a summer playing in the A League. So I can appreciate the reaction. But I think you're both right

I could see the logic in a young guy hanging around in the Spanish lower leagues for the soccer education side of things but as much as I love Scottish soccer I'm not sure that argument really holds for that league.

I mean, who has emerged to a top tier or meaningful Nats career from the Scottish lower leagues for us?  Anyone since Hastings?  (And he was a limited player of value at a very specific time.) Not Gasparotto, not Aird, not Bottiglieri or Huggon, not that kid who played with Elgin City, neither Poz nor Trafford (yet) on to better, my mind is fuzzy on others but not Niall Thompson. I know I'm a broken drum on this issue but are the facilities, coaching, spotlight sufficient to make playing in front of 800 people for for survival money worth it?  Before, yes. Now, probably not if you can come home and make 30-40k as long as you don't end up sold to a sketchy team in the Chilean third tier. :)

There is a proposal to change the Spanish 3rd tier to two divisions only not four, which would raise the level even more, probably mean a minimum wage that is higher, it would be a better option for development of players. But hey, we are in fact lacking players in Serie B and C, English League One, France 2, Spain 2, we only have a handful at that level, which is what would really mean a solid ground for the national team. We have to think Europe as an option, sure--but that way, with more ambition as the ground, and the rest striving to be in top flight in Switzerland or Greece or Norway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

love to see Zambrano coaching an CPL club ..   Might be in the minority .. lots of technical knowledge

Then he could put his money where his mouth is, give shots to all the kids he sees falling though the cracks from the other half of the city.  Good for both parties!  Seriously, how much cash would a guy like that want?? Way to much I am guessing.  

I was picturing Zambrano scouring Estevan, Weyburn, Swift current and Moosejaw for the SK SELECTS.  Eating denver sandwhichs in truck stops from Willow bunch to La ronge.  Scouting Yorktown, Preeceville and Ethelbert, you know, the heart of the perogy triangle.  Has to be some ballers up there.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I was picturing Zambrano scouring Estevan, Weyburn, Swift current and Moosejaw for the SK SELECTS.  Eating denver sandwhichs in truck stops from Willow bunch to La ronge.  Scouting Yorktown, Preeceville and Ethelbert, you know, the heart of the perogy triangle.  Has to be some ballers up there.  

Then sacked the week before game one and replaced by Kenneth Heiner-Moller.

Here is a challenge based on the Transfermarket list of Canadians which was published on July 1 as a gift to Voyageurs from Transfermarket.

The challenge is to create a new CPL team for any market. Your roster must be based on the list of Canadian players who are unattached (shown by a red "ghostbusters" symbol), or whose club status is uncertain (shown by a question mark symbol).

Being completely arbitrary, build a starting 11 and an optional bench of seven. You can add five import players to the team if you wish, and/or other college/university/L1O/etc. whom you discover. No players already signed to a contract to another another team are eligible. The roster will be a maximum of 18 (at least 13 Canadians + up to 5 imports) players.

I looked at the list a couple of times. There are some interesting possibilities. Can you build a competitive team?

https://www.transfermarkt.us/spieler-statistik/wertvollstespieler/marktwertetop/plus/0/galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&jahrgang=0&land_id=80&kontinent_id=0&yt0=Show

On 7/1/2020 at 8:22 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Octavio is right.

The fact that not one poster here, supposedly people with some critical perception of the game, is willing to back his criticism of the pay for play system, just shows that the game in Canada is lost. This is a major structural problem, it is tantamount to corruption in many cases (because parents and kids are getting conned out of their money), and solidifies a mentality where real competition is not valued. You cannot go anywhere with this suburbanite mentality, it is a dead end road. 

Another thing is if there might really be that many quality undiscovered kids who cannot afford their local club.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Octavio is right.

The fact that not one poster here, supposedly people with some critical perception of the game, is willing to back his criticism of the pay for play system, just shows that the game in Canada is lost. This is a major structural problem, it is tantamount to corruption in many cases (because parents and kids are getting conned out of their money), and solidifies a mentality where real competition is not valued. You cannot go anywhere with this suburbanite mentality, it is a dead end road. 

Another thing is if there might really be that many quality undiscovered kids who cannot afford their local club.

How about the vast swaths of the country where there is no local club??  

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Octavio is right.

The fact that not one poster here, supposedly people with some critical perception of the game, is willing to back his criticism of the pay for play system, just shows that the game in Canada is lost...

In an Ontario context, I'd be interested to see what would happen if L1O teams were placed in the Ontario Cup against the top ethnic clubs. That would put Zambrano's assertion to the test. Suspect he's right that there is plenty of talent that is being ignored nowadays, because they can't afford to be part of the mainstream system. Futsal leagues in the winter would probably be a good starting point to see who could be Canada's answer to the guy that used to be in my avatar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejan_Savićević#Early_years

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot