Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It doesn't hurt, but it never matters as much as people think.

All of the countries on that list from 1-17 are a huge step above the vast majority from which a lot of the good young soccer talent of the world comes. It might not make much difference from 1-17, but a kid from El Salvador or wherever would view playing (and living) in Canada as a massive incentive. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

All of the countries on that list from 1-17 are a huge step above the vast majority from which a lot of the good young soccer talent of the world comes. It might not make much difference from 1-17, but a kid from El Salvador or wherever would view playing (and living) in Canada as a massive incentive. 

Well, he'd view it as an incentive over playing in El Salvador.  But that doesn't mean he'd view it as an incentive over playing in one of the other 16 countries. Or even some place like China, Russia, or Turkey where they might pay him more.  And agents play a huge role in where players go, sadly but frequently with the idea of "where can my client get the most money so I can get the biggest cut?"

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, that is a tie breaker at best rather than something players would seek out. Would you say places like Finland and Sweden get a lot of good imports because of the quality of life there?

Places like Finland and Sweden get players because they get exposed to potential Champions League and Europa League action and a large number of scouts even though salaries in the Finnish top flight are not much different from the CPL.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yeah, that is a tie breaker at best rather than something players would seek out. Would you say places like Finland and Sweden get a lot of good imports because of the quality of life there?

If your choices are second division Sweden, second division Slovakia, or second division Belarus...which would you pick and why?

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Well, he'd view it as an incentive over playing in El Salvador.  But that doesn't mean he'd view it as an incentive over playing in one of the other 16 countries. Or even some place like China, Russia, or Turkey where they might pay him more.  And agents play a huge role in where players go, sadly but frequently with the idea of "where can my client get the most money so I can get the biggest cut?"

True.

6 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Not Carl Haworth. He signed at Indy Eleven. 

Indy is coming close to meeting the CPL's roster requirements. Pasher, Ouimette, and now Haworth. All three guys would have been great pick ups for CPL. I guess that CPL isn't able to compete with the top USL clubs yet

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Or that CPL clubs weren't interested in them. We simply don't know at this point

It isn't unreasonable to suspect that some USL clubs at the top nd of the league have more financial clout than most CPL clubs at this point.  And the reality is that at the rumoured salary levels, even a small bump of $10-20k would be a substantial difference.  

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It isn't unreasonable to suspect that some USL clubs at the top nd of the league have more financial clout than most CPL clubs at this point.  And the reality is that at the rumoured salary levels, even a small bump of $10-20k would be a substantial difference.  

True. I also remember the Fury barely getting passed Halifax who had all those injuries, lots of new/unproven guys and bad goalkeeping in Williams.

I could also understand CPL clubs not wanting to pay a premium if they feel they can get equivalent talent for cheaper. (Ex: Schaale)

Just my assumption

Edited by Ansem

35 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Or that CPL clubs weren't interested in them. We simply don't know at this point

Ouimette I think was already signed. I would be pretty surprised that no CPL team was interested in Haworth or Pasher, especially considering a number of teams could use some scoring help

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I can't buy that. He was probably the one Ottawa player that was at the front of the list. If you'Re telling me that Schaale is cheaper, well he isn't because Schaale would count as an international in CPL next year, so you have to wonder how many times you can start Schaale and how he fits in with your international players meanwhile Haworth is easy to plug in the starting XI whether it's as a forward or at right back, plus he can do set pieces.  

18 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Ouimette I think was already signed. I would be pretty surprised that no CPL team was interested in Haworth or Pasher, especially considering a number of teams could use some scoring help

I'm thinking that clubs are looking for their own "Ongaro" and "Campbell" ahead of paying a premium.

12 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

can't buy that. He was probably the one Ottawa player that was at the front of the list. If you'Re telling me that Schaale is cheaper, well he isn't because Schaale would count as an international in CPL next year, so you have to wonder how many times you can start Schaale and how he fits in with your international players meanwhile Haworth is easy to plug in the starting XI whether it's as a forward or at right back, plus he can do set pieces.  

Maybe clubs aren't liking the asking price.

Just now, Ansem said:

I'm thinking that clubs are looking for their own "Ongaro" and "Campbell" ahead of paying a premium.

I don't see the problem with finding a hidden gem and having a proven commodity. The hidden gem shouldn't cost a lot

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Maybe clubs aren't liking the asking price.

Yeah. Because the top USL clubs probably have more to spend. As opposed to not being interested in him. Its like when JDG said the only CPL player they would be interested in was Bekker. Ridiculous

51 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that Stephen Hart mentioned in an interview recently that competition from USL was a problem in terms of player recruitment:

Canadians are actually considered domestic in USL as opposed to MLS. So good for Canadian soccer, bad for CPL recruitment, but it allows for some hidden gems to pop up in CPL that might not have gotten a chance if there were more journeymen Canadian players in the league

I think the Borges transfer will heavily influence some of the younger talent decisions. If CPL can give them the platform to a higher league, it will convince a lot of guys to come to this league.

This was David Choiniere gamble when he chose Forge over the Fury. His agent said that doing well in CONCACAF league would be better for his career than USL and he scored 2 goals.

Will be interesting to see where Borges ends up.

I'm sure the 200 USL teams are a bit of a problem/competition when it comes to recruitment.  We know that some of the top independent USL teams pay pretty good as they attract boderline MLS players.  But we had good quality ball in season one of CPL AND a bunch of our guys stayed with bigger USL clubs...best of both worlds if you ask me.  Some guys who arent getting PT...why stay?? Ucello, Kacher, Aleman, come on home, there will prob be spots for you.   Much like TFC in their initial years, some of the CDN CPL players werent up to snuff, but the pretenders have been shown out and it'll be better in year 2. 

Plus I'm hoping a few more MLS kids stuck in purgatory get a new lease on life with loans (Hundal, Srbely).