Liam Millar

Northvansteve

28 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Play Davies at LB and let Millar start on the left

I like this but obviously the key is how well they can combine together and play off of each other.  Also, if Davies is played in full Marcelo mode as an attacking LB, you need a proper defensive mid minder to cover that spot as well as a more defensively inclined and aware RB to give the back four balance:  fortunately, I think Johnston can do that job.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Play Davies at LB and let Millar start on the left

Not so sure.

@BearcatSA was touching on it.
But let's explore how the lineup would be in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

-----------David--------
Millar-------------Buchanan

-------Kone---X----Staq

Davies--Miller--Derek--Laryea

-------------Borjan--------------

The glaring omission is our top goal scorer Larin. And we are still figuring out who comes into that X position in midfield.

But I think this could be a really nice lineup. 

---------------Larin-----------

Millar---------David-------Buchanan

----------Kone--------Staq-------

Davies----Miller-----Derek----Laryea

-----------------Milan------------

I've been a big fan of the 352 because I think it's the best formation, and it gets our best players on the pitch.

However looking at the last lineup, I now think this 4231 could be the lineup that gets all our best players on the field.

46 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I like this but obviously the key is how well they can combine together and play off of each other.  Also, if Davies is played in full Marcelo mode as an attacking LB, you need a proper defensive mid minder to cover that spot as well as a more defensively inclined and aware RB to give the back four balance:  fortunately, I think Johnston can do that job.

I have always liked Liam’s willingness and ability to take on/attack defenders. He can beat a guy 1v1 from the wing and make a play on skill and IQ, Davies can as well however he tries to do soo much, Liam has been above Hoilett in my eyes for a year or so now and could have brought more creativity when we needed it. This taking some of that off Davies.

Buchanan and Corbeanu also have that same ability to attack and beat a player while making a play. Shaffleburg can slot behind Liam for a pacy super sub in the future. I would also use Choiniere behind  Millar.

I also think it’s time to callup Simon Colyn as he is the type of play we covet.

AA, Eustaquio Kone, Loturi, Oso, Piette can all battle, along with Saliba for minutes at the 6 and 8 positions. 

Let Davies, Adekugbe, Edwards and whoever else fight it out at LB, RB is set.

Anyways, point is Liam should start at LW.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Not so sure.

@BearcatSA was touching on it.
But let's explore how the lineup would be in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

-----------David--------
Millar-------------Buchanan

-------Kone---X----Staq

Davies--Miller--Derek--Laryea

-------------Borjan--------------

The glaring omission is our top goal scorer Larin. And we are still figuring out who comes into that X position in midfield.

But I think this could be a really nice lineup. 

---------------Larin-----------

Millar---------David-------Buchanan

----------Kone--------Staq-------

Davies----Miller-----Derek----Laryea

-----------------Milan------------

I've been a big fan of the 352 because I think it's the best formation, and it gets our best players on the pitch.

However looking at the last lineup, I now think this 4231 could be the lineup that gets all our best players on the field.

Given Colyn’s play I would hope we can give him a shot at the X, pretty sure that’s what he is no ?

5 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Given Colyn’s play I would hope we can give him a shot at the X, pretty sure that’s what he is no ?

I could've sworn he was a FW. 
And I'm willing to give that spot to Loturi or Paton.  More so Loturi because we need a "stay at home" destroyer to free up Staq.

EDIT: seems like we are both right.

image.png.606202ca554e03e79b7719da2e8e988b.png

I still don't feel like we NEED his skillset, Kone and Staq are both creators they need help in the holes of the transition game.

Edited by Shway

40 minutes ago, Shway said:

I have thought about this a fair bit and I think a problem here is that in doing so we have a couple of similar skillset players out there and not complementary pieces, and there is a tendency to overrate the abilities of some of these guys to do those complementary roles for the others.

We might get away with it vs lower echelon opponents or in the March play-in, but I think we might once again get exposed against higher quality opponents.

Wicked right foot for crosses and shots! That finish was amazing.

Can he do that from the right wing too? Being able to switch sides during a match would be a great tactic if the defenders took away the right foot cut in from the left., Or, can he cross and shoot with his left foot as well? Again, adding flexibility would add to Liam's options. 

54 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Can he do that from the right wing too? Being able to switch sides during a match would be a great tactic if the defenders took away the right foot cut in from the left., Or, can he cross and shoot with his left foot as well? Again, adding flexibility would add to Liam's options. 

You have to ask the same if Davies were to play inverted on the right, which is my preference for him with Canada. You'd need Davies to be able to go from his strong foot to the weaker and still cross from the endline. Or else you are wasting that speed. With Liam, it would be a question of keeping defenders guessing, if you always go to the same foot the defenders will figure you out, unless you're Messi. But do you need two wingers like that, and what do you sacrifice to have them?

Millar is more precise and technical with the ball on his feet than Davies in fact, who has long controls very frequently, losing it on the first touch. Davies is a sloppier passer as well. But he could be a factor creating havoc, and he has a drive for goal. He scores for us, scored for Whitecaps, so we wouldn't do badly to try to use that, ignore his LB role at Bayern. I mean, we already do, so let's go all in. 

The question is that if you have two inverted wingers you play with one striker, since you are talking about a 4-3-3. Unless you have Millar playing out of a 4-man midfield. 

I'm very used to inverted wingers since Barça has always played that way, say Messi right, Titi left, other combinations. The key if you are turning in naturally to your strong foot is that you have a wingback or fullback finding the endline on the overlap on his natural crossing foot. I like it as a set up, and we'd be fun to watch if we played like that.

Hate to be negative because I love the idea of Millar cutting in at LW/LM and Davies overlapping at LB, but we would get slaughtered down the left. I think we need a true 6 to make up for the lack of defending on that side (not knocking them) to balance it out. We talk about missing a more creative player but I think the more pressing issue is lacking a true high level defensive midfielder because I don’t think we should neuter Steph.

Edited by Fullback

5 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Hate to be negative because I love the idea of Millar cutting in at LW/LM and Davies overlapping at LB, but we would get slaughtered down the left. I think we need a true 6 to make up for the lack of defending on that side (not knocking them) to balance it out. We talk about missing a more creative player but I think the more pressing issue is lacking a true high level defensive midfielder because I don’t think we should neuter Steph.

I disagree. 
Millar has always had the work rate to go up and down. And Davies would be in the position he plays week in and out. I think it would just need time.  

I do agree that we need a 6 because both Kone and Staq are 8s.

1 hour ago, Fullback said:

We talk about missing a more creative player but I think the more pressing issue is lacking a true high level defensive midfielder because I don’t think we should neuter Steph.

I agree.  That's one spot where you might find a dual national who fits the Andres Cubas role.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I disagree. 
Millar has always had the work rate to go up and down. And Davies would be in the position he plays week in and out. I think it would just need time.  

I do agree that we need a 6 because both Kone and Staq are 8s.

This ties in with the new coach hire I think, we really need a tactically aware hire to get the most of what he has, play the formation that he thinks is best and have the players buy into it and play it with discipline!

16 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I've seen him cross accurately with his left foot. 

Preston North End’s January transfer priority becomes clear after Leeds United win: View via @Onefootball. Read it here:

https://onefootball.com/editorial/38786318?language=en

The pressure on Preston North End manager Ryan Lowe has been very evident - so what a relief a 2-1 win over Leeds United on Boxing Day would have been.

The Lilywhites had a simply incredible start - if not a fortunate one at times - to the current campaign, with six wins from their first seven Championship matches leaving them top of the table in September ahead of the big spenders of the second tier.

Following a draw with Rotherham that month though, things started to unravel for North End, and going into the visit of a Leeds side who had just stuck four goals past promotion rivals Ipswich Town, they had won just three of their previous 16 matches, conceding 35 goals in that period as well.

It made the visit of Daniel Farke's side across the Pennines a scary thought, but against the odds, PNE ran out winners - even if the visitors did self-implode with the red card of Illan Meslier early on in the second half.

Millar stands out in win over Leeds

The one player that had everyone talking though for the right reasons was Liam Millar, who showed the very good side of his game with a standout showing for the Lilywhites.

There was confusion among PNE fans on Friday evening when the Canada international winger was left out of the starting 11 against Swansea City, and he ended up coming off the bench in South Wales to score a stunning goal to level the contest up in the second half.

And whilst he couldn't produce more heroics to grab North End a win that night as they went down to a 2-1 defeat, he made up for lost time against Leeds, where he had the beating of teenage sensation Archie Gray time and time again.

After a few failed attempts on goal, Millar finally made something happen in the second half as he planted a perfect cross onto the head of captain Alan Browne to open the scoring.

And then, in the 89th minute as he collected a ball from Andrew Hughes on the flank, he beat Gray once more to burst into the box, jinked to the side of Mateo Joseph and curled an unstoppable strike beyond Karl Darlow and into the far corner of the goal.

It was a goal worthy of winning any match and after some inconsistent performances throughout the season, Millar is finally starting to show a consistent goal threat when given the chance to run at defenders and make things happen.

Liam Millar Match Stats v Leeds United

Minutes Played

Goals

xG (Expected Goals)

Assists

xA (Expected Assists)

Touches

Accurate Passes

18/25

Successful Dribbles

Total Shots

PNE need to sort out permanent deal for Millar ASAP

Going into the January transfer window, Ryan Lowe probably had a few positions that he wanted to strengthen if he could do, with perhaps a left wing-back on the agenda.

However, the 4-1-4-1 formation he used against Leeds was very effective, and it could mean a change of what Lowe actually needs.

The priority now though simply has to be trying to tie Millar down to a full-time deal at Deepdale - no matter how much it costs.

From what I recall from Millar at BMO Field, I saw Kamal sprinting for the overlap and Liam ignored him almost every time. Either he didn't see him or he has his head down. I don't know. I know Tajon does the same thing, but he has Johnston behind him who is more say altruistic to the team, but I don't think you can get away with that with AD.

Maybe he's improved that at PNE. I haven't been able to see the games. It looks like his final ball has significantly improved, and maybe that there was a significant coaching breakthrough leading to an up in form. I'm hoping that's the case and he continues his great form going forward. 

Edited by PopePouri

11 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

From what I recall from Millar at BMO Field, I saw Kamal sprinting for the overlap and Liam ignored him almost every time. Either he didn't see him or he has his head down. I don't know. I know Tajon does the same thing, but he has Johnston behind him who is more say altruistic to the team, but I don't think you can get away with that with AD.

Maybe he's improved that at PNE. I haven't been able to see the games. It looks like his final ball has significantly improved, and maybe that there was a significant coaching breakthrough leading to an up in form. I'm hoping that's the case and he continues his great form going forward. 

Edited by spitfire
Deleted

I might be getting ahead of myself (maybe not) but should Liam make his PNE stay permanent or try and get the "biggest move" possible? It seems like he's going to leave Basel one way or another, which I think is the right call, but where exactly should he move? Should he return (or I guess stay) with the team he's found his form at, or move to a bigger club? 

This was a decision Larin was faced with. Cyle was lights out at Valladolid, scoring 8 goals in 19 games, but they got relegated. He opted to return to La Liga with Mallorca, a midtable team, versus dropping down a division. A lot has been said about his struggles to life at Mallorca, but it sometimes comes with the terriroty of going into a new team with a new system. I guess goals are never guarenteed, but I think it's pretty safe to assume he would have kept smashing it at La Liga 2. Time will tell if the Mallorca move was the right one and at least he's starting to turn it around about.

Now back to Millar - I see him potentially faced with a similar situation. Let's say Leeds (for example) keep this performance in mind and decide at season's end they want to swoop in and sign him for their promotion season. Do we want him going into that environment, where he may have to force his way in or potential be patient for his chance, or should he remain in the Championship with PNE where he's found himself regular playing time, along with goals and assists? Can't really speculate much at this point, as we don't know the clubs that will be in for him, but as things stand now there will be suitors.