Liam Millar

Northvansteve

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I might be getting ahead of myself (maybe not) but should Liam make his PNE stay permanent or try and get the "biggest move" possible? It seems like he's going to leave Basel one way or another, which I think is the right call, but where exactly should he move? Should he return (or I guess stay) with the team he's found his form at, or move to a bigger club? 

This was a decision Larin was faced with. Cyle was lights out at Valladolid, scoring 8 goals in 19 games, but they got relegated. He opted to return to La Liga with Mallorca, a midtable team, versus dropping down a division. A lot has been said about his struggles to life at Mallorca, but it sometimes comes with the terriroty of going into a new team with a new system. I guess goals are never guarenteed, but I think it's pretty safe to assume he would have kept smashing it at La Liga 2. Time will tell if the Mallorca move was the right one and at least he's starting to turn it around about.

Now back to Millar - I see him potentially faced with a similar situation. Let's say Leeds (for example) keep this performance in mind and decide at season's end they want to swoop in and sign him for their promotion season. Do we want him going into that environment, where he may have to force his way in or potential be patient for his chance, or should he remain in the Championship with PNE where he's found himself regular playing time, along with goals and assists? Can't really speculate much at this point, as we don't know the clubs that will be in for him, but as things stand now there will be suitors. 

I think Liam could make his case for a recently promoted team to EPL, Bundesliga, or even La Liga, depending on how the season goes. If you become a 2nd tier player, that is fine, it is a decent career, but it may not correspond to the highest ambition. I see Brewster who he came up with at Liverpool is at Sheffield Utd, not playing much don't think, but still, it has to be an aspiration.

Another factor is how much Basel might think they need for him, as iirc they paid something like 1.5 million euros. So I think for 3-4 million they'd sell, it is also to get him off their salary costs. And also because the season is not going well and they are unlikely to be in European competition next season. 

He seems well supported by his family, and while I am sure they're happy to be near Liverpool where I think they feel at home, it's a pro life, you have to try for the maximum as long as it is reasonable to think of an upward curve.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Nice bit of play by Liam in his own end a bit ago.   He also seems to be involved on Preston’s attacks.  

Understandably, they aren’t exactly cutting Chelsea apart of anything, but so far I would be pretty encouraged about the possibility of getting a positive result if I was the PNE manager.   

6 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Must love being back in England for moments like this. Cool to be up against a couple 100m players. 

What I like is he's unfazed, he plays his game. He came up in a big club, he's been to the World Cup, he's not starstruck. Just plays his game. So I think he's just doing his job to give them a chance.

Some of their best phases, when they get the ball back, are going through him on the left.

6 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Liam is playing quite well one v one with Sterling…his defense has really improved.

And because Chelsea have a kid at RB, and Liam was exploiting him a bit, on speed, and skill, Sterling immediately was coming back to help. So we got Liam being double teamed by Gilchrist and Sterling, quite a bit of respect. 

PNE has played very solidly, McCann and especially Whiteman have been good in front of the defense. The team has found a way to change from right to left to find Liam; overall, nice shape from them. 

Chelsea will take it up a notch or two, have to, because they were coasting that half.

Amazing experience and an amazing game. Crazy environment 6500 travelling away fans travelled down!! Thought Liam held his own and looked very threatening and didn’t look out of place Vs the premier league side. Over 1/2 a billion in players he started against. At one point double teamed by Stering and Palmer.. didn’t phase liam and he did so well defensively  

That being said Chelsea’s quality showed in the 2nd half  and in the end a fair result (but don’t think it was a 4-0 game

in the end at this point it’s about personal performances and he can hold his head high!!

43 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Amazing experience and an amazing game. Crazy environment 6500 travelling away fans travelled down!! Thought Liam held his own and looked very threatening and didn’t look out of place Vs the premier league side. Over 1/2 a billion in players he started against. At one point double teamed by Stering and Palmer.. didn’t phase liam and he did so well defensively  

That being said Chelsea’s quality showed in the 2nd half  and in the end a fair result (but don’t think it was a 4-0 game

in the end at this point it’s about personal performances and he can hold his head high!!

Yep! He looked like he belonged there.

3 hours ago, Joe1973 said:

It was a good shift for sure. He needs confidence in that left foot for next level. He's had a few good games under his belt and now defenders know to close the cut back to the right and make him continue on the left. He's gotta keep working on that left foot for a cross or a nice cut back. 

This!