Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

The case of the missing Raheem. He was on the cusp of the national team, now he's not even mentioned in conversations. 

Stephen Eustaquio was not called into the Cruz Azul team either, though he is returning from injury, so there is an excuse at least. Raheem really needs to make a change, whether that is at Chicago or elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Stephen Eustaquio was not called into the Cruz Azul team either, though he is returning from injury, so there is an excuse at least. Raheem really needs to make a change, whether that is at Chicago or elsewhere. 

I thought Eustaquio wasn’t back for another month or so.

5 hours ago, RS said:

It really is a strange one, because the rare times I've seen him play for Chicago he seems to be one of their better attacking players.

The Fire are a horrible team, yet for some reason he can't seem to crack the squad. It doesn't make sense.

There has to be something going on in the background there - he's never mentioned as being injured.  I remember Remi Garde hinted at something being amiss with him, with his "head not in the game".  Hopefully everything is good with him personally.

12 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There has to be something going on in the background there - he's never mentioned as being injured.  I remember Remi Garde hinted at something being amiss with him, with his "head not in the game".  Hopefully everything is good with him personally.

I know you can't really deduce much from social media, where people choose what they want to world to see about them, but that said there is great contrast in the IG stories of Larin and Edward's. It seems the majority of Cyle's is him at the gym, working to improve his agility. Edward's is rarely focused on soccer, you see stuff on music, cooking, just random everyday stuff and that's fine, who knows how much work he is doing in private, but there is a saying that says: whatever you focus on grows. Larin is really putting it out there that he's pushing to improve himself. 

14 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Indeed, Garde addressed Edwards case several times.  He had won the starting role at the Impact and burned his opportunity with off the field issues.  Seems to be the same situation in Chicago. 

IT started with gentle, strategically placed direct hints to Edwards via the media.  He later removed all question and doubt and said straight up "he's got the talent, the problem is in his head and focus".  Garde has had to deal with quite a few other head cases (Vargas, Novillo...) and he's never been so blunt and direct as he was with Edwards.  Must be pretty bad, and sad.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Do we have hard numbers from both leagues to back this up?   I know CPL budgets are rumoured to be modest, but do we know how much a high end CPL player makes vs a high end USL player?

I certainly don't. I guess a signal that CPL can compete for this level of player is that Bekker came to Hamilton. I would like to find out what he is getting paid or what future salary he has been promised.

11 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I certainly don't. I guess a signal that CPL can compete for this level of player is that Bekker came to Hamilton. I would like to find out what he is getting paid or what future salary he has been promised.

That is sort of why I asked.  I would think that guys like Bekker, Petrasso, DeJong, Nakajima-Farran etc would be getting a decent wage to play in CPL.  And in the absence of the kind of DP rules in MLS that allow for off-cap salary costs, I am curious if it is true that USL would outbid CPl for guys like this.  Edwards would seem to be in this sort of high-end CPL player category.  

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is sort of why I asked.  I would think that guys like Bekker, Petrasso, DeJong, Nakajima-Farran etc would be getting a decent wage to play in CPL.  And in the absence of the kind of DP rules in MLS that allow for off-cap salary costs, I am curious if it is true that USL would outbid CPl for guys like this.  Edwards would seem to be in this sort of high-end CPL player category.  

have to assume there is something off the field re Edwards. The guy is just too talented not to be able to catch on with any team in MLS. 

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

have to assume there is something off the field re Edwards. The guy is just too talented not to be able to catch on with any team in MLS. 

If true, it seems like the perfect chance for a CPL team to grab a high end player at a reasonable price with the knowledge that some issue(s) could potentially require a bit of man-management. 

Edwards still has that INT sign around his neck which probably scares off half of MLS.  He was pretty exciting 2 years ago (much like Telfer when he broke in) before moving on to Chicago and should do well in CPL.  And he is only on 70k now, if he cant find a spot in MLS or one of the ambitious USL clubs, it wouldnt be that much of a pay cut to come to CPL and get his carer back on track.  

• 1 month later...

After benching him the entire 2nd half of the season, Raheem's contract option was surprisingly taken up by Chicago:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/21/chicago-fire-fc-decline-contract-options-nicolas-gaitan-aleksandar-katai

Mind you, Chicago fired the coach who bench Edwards so maybe that is why.

• 2 weeks later...