Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

• 1 month later...

positive news. also in those replies, it seem like he's staying at chicago this year. paunovic is gone (with whom there were rumours that edwards had a massive falling out with) and the new manager wicky (formerly of fc basel, TD/GM is also former basel) likes playing young players + plays a style that probably suits edwards more. 

11 hours ago, saladroit said:

positive news. also in those replies, it seem like he's staying at chicago this year. paunovic is gone (with whom there were rumours that edwards had a massive falling out with) and the new manager wicky (formerly of fc basel, TD/GM is also former basel) likes playing young players + plays a style that probably suits edwards more. 

Is 24 still young? Edwards needs to take this chance and play well this year. If he can have a good year he can be in the national team discussion again.

If Edwards can sort himself out in Chicago, or should I say get a fresh start and fair shot, he has the talent to be a starter. It is easy to forget he is an MLS Cup winner. Not many 24 year olds in the league can say the same.

So if we get Raheem going, and Tabla has a successful return to Montreal, and Schaffleburg continues to develop, and Nelsen breaks into the Toronto first team, and Bair continues his expected rise, and Bayhia keeps doing well with his chances....

Suddenly we have a nice core of young, MLS talent to choose from. All of those expectations are realistic and reasonable, I think.

Just now, Obinna said:

If Edwards can sort himself out in Chicago, or should I say get a fresh start and fair shot, he has the talent to be a starter. It is easy to forget he is an MLS Cup winner. Not many 24 year olds in the league can say the same.

So if we get Raheem going, and Tabla has a successful return to Montreal, and Schaffleburg continues to develop, and Nelsen breaks into the Toronto first team, and Bair continues his expected rise, and Bayhia keeps doing well with his chances....

Suddenly we have a nice core of young, MLS talent to choose from. All of those expectations are realistic and reasonable, I think.

It's a reminder that the depth that we have now is astronomically larger from the Gold Cup winning days - arguably the best it has been since the NASL days.

The problem of course is that the rest of the region also hasn't stood still since those days either and we've been saddled with the most egregiously ridiculous World Cup Qualifying format ever, so despite all this there is a decent chance we aren't able to take advantage of this increase in talent & depth. But one continues to hope and dream......

16 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It's a reminder that the depth that we have now is astronomically larger from the Gold Cup winning days - arguably the best it has been since the NASL days.

The problem of course is that the rest of the region also hasn't stood still since those days either and we've been saddled with the most egregiously ridiculous World Cup Qualifying format ever, so despite all this there is a decent chance we aren't able to take advantage of this increase in talent & depth. But one continues to hope and dream......

I do agree with the general point that others are not standing idly by.

That said, I took a look at Panama's pool recently to see where they are at and boy oh boy are they ever falling behind us fast, at least on paper.

One of their top young European-based players is plying his trade in the Spanish second division. I can't recall the club, perhaps it was Cordoba or something, but it looks like he's played a fair bit, registering around 6 goals in 38 games since 2018.

Anyways, if that is their best they are seriously lagging behind when you consider we have a player starting at Bayern Munich, a star player at Gent who'll be off to an even bigger club soon, and a young forward attached to Liverpool who nailed down a starting role in the SPL. Even someone like Brym, who is just now cracking a Portugese top-flight club on loan from Lille, seems to be a better prospect than anything they have coming through their pipeline.

I gotta stress that's on paper and I haven't seen the Panama team lately, but it's encouraging signs for our future relative to our competitors.

Edited by Obinna

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I do agree with the general point that others are not standing idly by.

That said, I took a look at Panama's pool recently to see where they are at and boy oh boy are they ever falling behind us fast, at least on paper.

One of their top young European-based players is plying his trade in the Spanish second division. I can't recall the club, perhaps it was Cordoba or something, but it looks like he's played a fair bit, registering around 6 goals in 38 games since 2018.

Anyways, if that is their best they are seriously lagging behind when you consider we have a player starting at Bayern Munich, a star player at Gent who'll be off to an even bigger club soon, and a young forward attached to Liverpool who nailed down a starting role in the SPL. Even someone like Brym, who is just now cracking a Portugese top-flight club on loan from Lille, seems to be a better prospect than anything they have coming through their pipeline.

I gotta stress that's on paper and I haven't seen the Panama team lately, but it's encouraging signs for our future relative to our competitors.

The Panama/Costa Rica golden age is done I think.. incoming Canada, Curaçao and Haiti 

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

The Panama/Costa Rica golden age is done I think.. incoming Canada, Curaçao and Haiti 

If we're comparing solely based on, on paper. Our squad is much further ahead of Curacao and Haiti. I think only Mexico and the USA have better squads .. on paper anyways .. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...