Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

Noticed Chicago has a crazy gap between fixtures.. August 23 to September 16!  I’ve never seen anything like that. 

The Fire rescheduled a match that was due to be played this weekend in order to travel to Munich so they can play in a Schweinsteiger testimonial against Bayern.

The international break is the following week. 

3 minutes ago, RS said:

The Fire rescheduled a match that was due to be played this weekend in order to travel to Munich so they can play in a Schweinsteiger testimonial against Bayern.

That's probably the highlight of their 2018 season.  To say their year has been a big disappointment would be an understatement.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Is there any reason Raheem Edwards hasn't received more consideration as a potential left back on Canada's Men's team? MDJ is getting up there in age and people are always talking about the dearth of talent in Canada's backfield. Edwards is a talented player with great pace who has some solid experience at LB in MLS. Based on this article and from what I've seen of him, he clearly has promise. He has also made 49 first team MLS appearances (many as a wing back) and scored 4 goals.

He has to be better than many of the other LB options, right?

15 minutes ago, BleepBlap said:

Is there any reason Raheem Edwards hasn't received more consideration as a potential left back on Canada's Men's team? MDJ is getting up there in age and people are always talking about the dearth of talent in Canada's backfield. Edwards is a talented player with great pace who has some solid experience at LB in MLS. Based on this article and from what I've seen of him, he clearly has promise. He has also made 49 first team MLS appearances (many as a wing back) and scored 4 goals.

He was LB experience but from when i watched him at Toronto, he was not very good. Much better as a wingback or midfielder

15 minutes ago, BleepBlap said:

He would possibly be a better option than Adekugbe at LWB in Herdman's 5 man backline.

To our dismay, I think he'll keep playing Davies there however.

Edwards works as an attacking wingback but as mentioned and especially at international level he would be found out quickly defensively. He is someone that likely would have walked into the MNT 4/5 years ago but we are looking increasingly stacked offensively. Harsh but true. Telfer is in the same boat, to a much lesser extent. 

I don't know that he isn't much more or less suspect than Levis. Another peripheral that hopefully gets more playing time again this year at whitecaps. Also someone who is really better as a winger. Lets hope MDS can hone his defensive game as he has potential still. 

Yeah I just totally hijacked this thread and made it about Brett Levis.. deal with it ? 

" If the young Canadian can fix some of the inconsistencies he’s had over the last two years, he could take over a starting spot on the Fire’s backline. "

^ This is why getting regular minutes and paying time is great.  Hope he earns the spot, runs with it, fixes his inconsistencies and has a solid season at LB/LWB.

I agree with most, for now I see him more of a LWB, however based on his age and opportunity, still has a nice ceiling. I do believe he has the ability to tremendously improve defensively (this is one area where minutes, film, training, coaching etc. I find can really be improved over time). The more defensive depth the better for us! All the best to him this season. 

Edited by apbsmith

There are some things that I really like about Edwards. He can be very effective going forward. He’s good at crossing the ball and when running down the wing he’ll pick up his head and look for a pass as soon as he’s gained half a step on the defender. It’s a contrast to a player like Ricketts who will just drop his head and run full speed, not looking to make the pass, until he’s near the end line, by which time the defenders have already covered any openings exposed by his burst of speed. Edwards can make the early pass when available. During his time in Toronto, I can recall him setting up a few goals for Giovinco by spotting his runs early enough.

Unfortunately, as it has been pointed out, his defending is suspect, even as a winger. I wouldn’t be confident with him in the LB spot against a stronger level of competition.

Yeah for me Edwards is in the same boat as guys like Aird, Petrasso and Davies who have had runs at fullback... just please don’t.  I’m good with them at wingback because they are all pacey but fullback is a step too far.. at that point I look to guys like De Jong, Morgan, Adekugbe and Levis (on the left).  

I hope he can have a good season and challenge for a Gold Cup spot.  In his few appearances for Canada he hasn’t been great. 

11 hours ago, Keegan said:

Yeah for me Edwards is in the same boat as guys like Aird, Petrasso and Davies who have had runs at fullback... just please don’t.  I’m good with them at wingback because they are all pacey but fullback is a step too far.. at that point I look to guys like De Jong, Morgan, Adekugbe and Levis (on the left).  

I hope he can have a good season and challenge for a Gold Cup spot.  In his few appearances for Canada he hasn’t been great. 

The best way for Edwards to force himself back into the picture is by being great in Chicago, and if he does meet or exceed these preseason expectations, then he should be in GC contention as a winger or possibly wingback.  The fact that we have a lot of competition for starting places in that possession is more of a good thing than a negative, unless guys left out starting becoming "me" guys.

With the fullbacks you've listed, they all have question marks beside them.  Personally, I think De Jong's international days are behind him unless he shows a whole lot better defensively (at whatever club he's playing)  then what I saw last year in Vancouver.  Levis is another guy who's probably better as a wingback or winger than a fullback and he also has to prove his durability.  Morgan's deficiencies make him an MLS back up and I haven't seen Adekugbe play enough to form an opinion.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:48 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

As much as i don't want Davies to play at LWB. It also allows us to have our best players on the field. 

I hate the logic of the second sentence. Does it mean we should play Hoilett at CB? We give up offensive potential when we move Davies further away from goal and I don’t know that we gain much of anything defensively.

15 hours ago, Kent said:

I hate the logic of the second sentence. Does it mean we should play Hoilett at CB? We give up offensive potential when we move Davies further away from goal and I don’t know that we gain much of anything defensively.

Yeah, I think theoretically all your best players on the field means you have the strongest team possible, but there's definitely an argument to be had for playing guys in proper position, getting the balance of the team right, and thus creating the strongest team possible.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

This.  He's a bona fide attacking game changer, capable of creating something out of nothing.  But you never know what his coaches with our NT may decide.  They might decide that a central destroyer role is his best spot with us, who knows?