Tyler Pasher

Dub Narcotic

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Our team depth is way past the point of calling every player who suits up for MLS, especially for attacking players. 

About 6 years ago that may have been the case but our program is overflowing with options.  

Pasher is a nice feel good story to get into MLS at age 27; I’m really happy for him.  That doesn’t put him on the radar of the national team.

I disagree.  His age doesn't matter.  The national team should be about who gives you the best chance to win now.  The club teams should be developing the young players, the national team is for putting the best team on the pitch.  The fact that he plays either wing and can deliver a good cross means that he's not as far down the depth chart as you would think.  Especially if he becomes an MLS regular this season.

18 minutes ago, Shway said:

I missed the game so this statement is interesting.....like who?

Fringe guys like Akindele, Shaffelburg, Bair, etc

11 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Our team depth is way past the point of calling every player who suits up for MLS, especially for attacking players. 

About 6 years ago that may have been the case but our program is overflowing with options.  

Pasher is a nice feel good story to get into MLS at age 27; I’m really happy for him.  That doesn’t put him on the radar of the national team.

He was one of the best players in USL last year and is an MLS starter at least for now. That actually does put him on the radar and it’s easy enough to prove if you just look at players who have been called into camps and matches the last few years.

Our top 8 attackers:

Davies, David, Larin, Cavallini, Hoilett, Corbeanu, Millar, Buchanan. 

Pasher, with good performances, can definitely bump the last three names on that list. We should call up whoever is in form.  

Same goes for Tabla, Edwards, even a CPLer. Millar and Corbeanu have the inside track, but are not sure call ups for every camp in my view, not yet anyway. 

40 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea, I agree. 
Although, if you’re giving Pasher a one game treatment, than Shaffelburg definitely deserves to be in the national team as well.

I’m not giving Pasher a one game treatment though (and neither Shaffelburg). I saw a few of his matches last year and he was clearly a level above USL (admittedly a low level though).  Nothing he did last night surprised me that much given what I have seen from him before. Can he keep it up and establish himself as a permanent starter? Personally, I think he will. And I’m not generally one to hype guys up after one decent performance.

13 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Our top 8 attackers:

Pasher, with good performances, can definitely bump the last three names on that list. We should call up whoever is in form.  

Same goes for Tabla, Edwards, even a CPLer. Millar and Corbeanu have the inside track, but are not sure call ups for every camp in my view, not yet anyway. 

I would personally have Pasher right there with Millar. Theo is very hard to gauge given where he’s playing right now and is all potential at the moment.

Well there is certainly a tiny bit more than just being in form justifying a call up. Can the player make a step up, do they fit into the system and what is their longterm potential in comparison to letting another player with a higher ceiling get integrated and a chance. It is an awkward time with pivotal games for the CMNT, we need players that are proven and know the system. 

If he starts scoring better than Akindele and Ricketts he obviously jumps them quickly for an opportunity. We only have 4 out and out forwards that own spots, 5 if Akinola commits. It is hard to break into that. We know Cavallinis potential. How about if Pasher scores more than Akinola but Akinola still looks good?

That is what friendlies are for though and obviously you don't always know if they can make the step up until they get the chance. If he performs well enough and consistently he will earn a call up. Gold Cup is there if he excels. Very early days so far though and we will always take all the depth we can but it is growing rapidly!

12 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

If yesterday wasn't a one off I think he's penciled in for the gold cup squad tbh.

Yea you would think. But if he’s playing consistently with Houston, would he jeopardize his spot considering he’s on his “last shot” all for a B/C team national team experience.

These type of player cases will be very interesting to see who will be on this Gold Cup squad. 

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea you would think. But if he’s playing consistently with Houston, would he jeopardize his spot considering he’s on his “last shot” all for a B/C team national team experience.

These type of player cases will be very interesting to see who will be on this Gold Cup squad. 

That's true but if he's already the corner taker you'd think he's pretty secure as a starter especially if he remains one of their main contributors.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Yea, I agree. 
Although, if you’re giving Pasher a one game treatment, than Shaffelburg definitely deserves to be in the national team as well.

Yup all of a sudden a guy who has had one good game in the MLS and a lot older has some how vaulted over Sheffelburgh , who has played more MLS minutes and who just played a major role in eliminating a top Mexican club in a big competition. Look I’m hoping Pasher keeps playing and does well but right now Shaffelburgh is ahead on the pecking order by a decent margin.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Our top 8 attackers:

You forgot Akindele, who is still only 29 and has 219 games and 44 goals playing for MLS teams including 11 in 2019.  Not to mention 17 caps and 4 goals for Canada including one in 2020.

He’s not a prospect but does and should rate higher than the others if we’re talking about Performance and track record.

48 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Yup all of a sudden a guy who has had one good game in the MLS and a lot older has some how vaulted over Sheffelburgh , who has played more MLS minutes and who just played a major role in eliminating a top Mexican club in a big competition. Look I’m hoping Pasher keeps playing and does well but right now Shaffelburgh is ahead on the pecking order by a decent margin.

I think it’s tough to project Shaff though because of the situation at TFC right now. If he ends up on the bench for most of the season once they get their players back, and Pasher is a regular starter, you’d think Pasher would be ahead of him. This seems like a pretty likely scenario to me. These are all hypotheticals though, it’s too early to tell.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

I’m not giving Pasher a one game treatment though (and neither Shaffelburg). I saw a few of his matches last year and he was clearly a level above USL (admittedly a low level though).  Nothing he did last night surprised me that much given what I have seen from him before. Can he keep it up and establish himself as a permanent starter? Personally, I think he will. And I’m not generally one to hype guys up after one decent performance.

Well you never know how it will translate, moving up a level or two. SO few guys move up from USL to MLS.  But he didnt look lost and his pace was good enough for MLS. Similar to Waterman, you just never know if the guy can replicate the same things when the competition is stiffer.  But I dont think you need half a season to see that eh??  

And for the guys saying its one game, he came out of nowhere blah blah.  He was damn near ready for MLS a couple years ago, since then he has gained a ton of veteran exp in USL, found a scoring touch and polished his game. Being a fringe MLS starter will get you a look, depending on who else is in camp.  Especially if you can take corners, and play either wing.  

Another good performance for Pasher. Definitely showing he can be effective at this level. I think he will firmly be in the CanMNT mix. Unfortunately you can see his glaring weakness of having no right foot - he should have really taken his chance last night for a goal on a through ball from Uruti but looked like he didn’t have enough confidence in his right foot.

what a story what a career trajectory..can write a book about it..woolwich then newcastle academy, tfc academy then goes to play senior ball in d3 finland then amateur ball in npsl with lansing united, usl with pittsburgh riverhounds, two strong seasons with swope park during which he signed with first team skc and got one shot at mls starting a game and pulled out at the break..then to indy eleven where he didnt do much in his first season but blew up in his last two..then at close to 27 signing with houston and starting in mls..read that he thought about stopping at one point

24 minutes ago, Big_M said:

what a story what a career trajectory..can write a book about it..woolwich then newcastle academy, tfc academy then goes to play senior ball in d3 finland then amateur ball in npsl with lansing united, usl with pittsburgh riverhounds, two strong seasons with swope park during which he signed with first team skc and got one shot at mls starting a game and pulled out at the break..then to indy eleven where he didnt do much in his first season but blew up in his last two..then at close to 27 signing with houston and starting in mls..read that he thought about stopping at one point

Sounds about Canadian.

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I have no idea what the criteria for a "key pass" is or who gets to judge that, but Pasher is tied for 3rd in the league in that category early on, which I suppose must be a good thing:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/stats/players/?stat-type=total_att_assist

I think a key pass is one that leads to a shot on target. Could be wrong though