Tyler Pasher

Dub Narcotic

6 hours ago, ADP10 said:

I think a key pass is one that leads to a shot on target. Could be wrong though

Although even then, does he get credited for a key pass on an own goal? It was obviously key to the goal, but wouldn't couldn't as a shot on goal if the defender is the one who headed it in.

Seems to me that stats like "Own goals caused" and "Fouls drawn leading to PKs" are more significant stats to keep.

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Although even then, does he get credited for a key pass on an own goal? It was obviously key to the goal, but wouldn't couldn't as a shot on goal if the defender is the one who headed it in.

Seems to me that stats like "Own goals caused" and "Fouls drawn leading to PKs" are more significant stats to keep.

Key passes quantify a player's creative influence on a match (even if a goal isn't scored). A Victor Vazquez key pass to Ben Spencer is considered the same as one to Sebastian Giovinco, even if one of those players is far more likely to actually put the ball in the net.

Own goals are much rarer so I'm not sure how they would be more statistically significant.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Key passes quantify a player's creative influence on a match (even if a goal isn't scored). A Victor Vazquez key pass to Ben Spencer is considered the same as one to Sebastian Giovinco, even if one of those players is far more likely to actually put the ball in the net.

Own goals are much rarer so I'm not sure how they would be more statistically significant.

They aren't that rare though and for me they are more statistically significant because they would be tracking actual goals. Going by the definition that Bison posted, Pasher would get denied both an assist and a key pass even though he forced/caused the own goal to be scored. At the very least they should be tracking that along side all these other analytics they come up with.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics". Kind of a screw job for Pasher, but no no stat is perfect.  Still, kudos for soccer for creating new stats that at least try to quantify the other things a player does on the pitch besides scoring.  

6 hours ago, RS said:

A key pass to Giovinco where he then proceeds to dribble past three guys to get a shot on goal is whole lot different than a Kaye slide rule pass into space for Rossi to run onto for his chance.  They are still both key passes, right?

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

A key pass to Giovinco where he then proceeds to dribble past three guys to get a shot on goal is whole lot different than a Kaye slide rule pass into space for Rossi to run onto for his chance.  They are still both key passes, right?

I am not sure, but I would assume if the receiver of the pass still has to dribble past defenders, the passer won't get a key pass for that.

23 hours ago, Big_M said:

what a story what a career trajectory..can write a book about it..woolwich then newcastle academy...

As a player for them for about a decade in the 90's, I never expected Woolwich to get a shout out here!

On 4/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, Big_M said:

what a story what a career trajectory..can write a book about it..woolwich then newcastle academy, tfc academy then goes to play senior ball in d3 finland then amateur ball in npsl with lansing united, usl with pittsburgh riverhounds, two strong seasons with swope park during which he signed with first team skc and got one shot at mls starting a game and pulled out at the break..then to indy eleven where he didnt do much in his first season but blew up in his last two..then at close to 27 signing with houston and starting in mls..read that he thought about stopping at one point

It really is a crazy story. I looked up his stats on wiki and it says in 2017 he played 27 games for Swope Park without scoring a goal and only 3 assists. Is that a mistake? Incredible comeback if that is true, you’d think he’d be out of opportunities after that.

Edited by archer21

5 minutes ago, archer21 said:

It really is a crazy story. I looked up his stats on wiki and it says in 2017 he played 27 games for Swope Park without scoring a goal and only 3 assists. Is that a mistake? Incredible comeback if that is true, you’d think he’d be out of opportunities after that.

You can't really go off stats for him as he's been used as a LB and LW primarily and was only a forward the past season or two. He was always a key player for his sides in USL.

1 minute ago, archer21 said:

It really is a crazy story. I looked up his stats on wiki and it says in 2017 he played 27 games for Swope Park without scoring a goal. Is that a mistake? Incredible comeback if that is true, you’d think he’d be out of opportunities after that.

Was thinking he used to play at left back in the past. I clicked through some 2017 game sheets, found him at LB as suspected in one game, LW in another game. So ya would have expected to chip in a few goals. 

Here is a nice thread with some clips from his match Saturday. Him being left footed is a big advantage for him in terms of CMNT selection as Hoilett, Millar and Buchanan are right footed. We just have Davies and Corbeanu if we're looking for options on the right who can cut in and use their left. 

He should get a chance to play a starring role at the Gold Cup. Our squad depth this cycle is unmatched - we have at least 3/4 solid options at every position.

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

A big chance is "a situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score usually in a one-on-one scenario or from very close range."

This is a strange one on the MLS Audi/Opta stats because I remember Brek Shea getting significant points for hitting the keeper and not scoring with a point blank range shot inside the six.  Big reward for failure?

No stat tells the whole story but I guess maybe its better to get a big chance than not??  You would rather have a striker putting shots on frame, forcing the keeper make a save than a lump that does nothing.  Also it will eventually work against him when they look at the chances he gets compared to is conversion to goals. Still glad there are more stats to look at than in the old timey days.   

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You can't really go off stats for him as he's been used as a LB and LW primarily and was only a forward the past season or two. He was always a key player for his sides in USL.

That makes sense, I didn’t know that he played primarily LB for Swope Park. I did see that it said he didn’t play in the finals in 2017 so I figured he had lost his spot due to not scoring. There could be another reason  for that though.

52 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

No stat tells the whole story but I guess maybe its better to get a big chance than not??  You would rather have a striker putting shots on frame, forcing the keeper make a save than a lump that does nothing.  Also it will eventually work against him when they look at the chances he gets compared to is conversion to goals. Still glad there are more stats to look at than in the old timey days.   

The points given for that miss were in a couple of hundred, iirc.  If it weren't for those points from that big chance miss, he would have been in the 0 range for his starting performance that day.

Analytics need to be looked at within the context of the whole match.  That's why I get frustrated when I read fan blogs for a club where a bunch of cherry picked stats are used to fit a narrative for or against a player.

I remember going to Club Roma about 10 or so years ago to watch the TFC Academy play St. Catharines Wolves in an old CSL game.  That academy team had Doneil Henry, Jordan Murrell, Jonathan Lao, Allando Matheson and a few others I am probably forgetting.  But the player that stood out the most to me? Tyler Pasher. 

8 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I remember going to Club Roma about 10 or so years ago to watch the TFC Academy play St. Catharines Wolves in an old CSL game.  That academy team had Doneil Henry, Jordan Murrell, Jonathan Lao, Allando Matheson and a few others I am probably forgetting.  But the player that stood out the most to me? Tyler Pasher. 

Nicolas Lindsay??  I thought he would be bigger than Matheson or Henry et al, injuries are a bitch.  

52 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I still remember being excited about Pasher when TFC played Liverpool. With him making the jump and Kaye before him, its clear that TFC have really wasted their academy in the past

11 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I still remember being excited about Pasher when TFC played Liverpool. With him making the jump and Kaye before him, its clear that TFC have really wasted their academy in the past

That might be a little harsh, hard to say which kid gets through the choke point up to the big club.  It sure makes me think about all those kids that get a cup of coffee with CDN MLS, then toil away in L10 or USL for a year or so and pack it in. Hopefully we see a couple guys every year turn things around in the CPL/USL and more and more "mature" guys like Pasher can find their footing.     

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

I remember there was a ton of hype for Lao but I think he kept getting injured?