Tyler Pasher

Dub Narcotic

Awesome news for Pasher. Even more incredible given that he will be an international player.

Given that he was debating hanging up the boots not too long ago, it's great to see him get a pro deal with a livable wage. Another example of how thin the line is between a pro career and out of the game entirely.

Edited by shermanator

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Is he domestic with new rules?

No, he's still an international, for 2 reasons:

1. He's not a homegrown player

2. He joined TFC's academy the year he turned 16. Players must join the academy the year before the year they turn 16.

3. His first pro contract was in Finland. His first pro contract was not with an MLS club, or MLS club affiliate.

Edited by shermanator

This is wonderful news for Tyler and CMNT. He certainly doesn't lack talent or tenacity. However, I hope the manager will calm him down a bit and teach him pick and choose when he goes forward to reserve energy for the entire 90 mins. Being a threat with pace is great but being a threat with composure is best. Congratulations and looking forward to seeing him on the pitch in MLS.

If Pasher doesn't qualify as a homegrown, after playing in TFC Academy and for the reserves, that new rule is pretty much useless.

Having said that, good for him.  Landing a spot on SKC even without the benefit of the new rule!

8 minutes ago, Ivan said:

If Pasher doesn't qualify as a homegrown, after playing in TFC Academy and for the reserves, that new rule is pretty much useless.

Having said that, good for him.  Landing a spot on SKC even without the benefit of the new rule!

He never signed a homegrown deal, why would he qualify as one now?

Pasher is a quick, talented, wing player. I hope he gets some minutes this year.

11 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

He never signed a homegrown deal, why would he qualify as one now?

Pasher is a quick, talented, wing player. I hope he gets some minutes this year.

To this and Sherm, as far as I can tell the new rule doesn't say they have to be signed to a homegrown deal. They just need their first pro contract to be with an MLS team or it's affiliate.

He played in that friendly against Liverpool, would he have signed some kind of temporary deal to play in that, like I believe they do for academy kids that play in Voyageurs Cup games?

Either way, assuming Shermanator is right about when he signed with the academy, then it's all moot.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

To this and Sherm, as far as I can tell the new rule doesn't say they have to be signed to a homegrown deal. They just need their first pro contract to be with an MLS team or it's affiliate.

He played in that friendly against Liverpool, would he have signed some kind of temporary deal to play in that, like I believe they do for academy kids that play in Voyageurs Cup games?

Either way, assuming Shermanator is right about when he signed with the academy, then it's all moot.

His first pro deal was in Finland and then Pittsburg. He doesn't qualify.

Edited by Soccerpro

20 minutes ago, Kent said:

No that match was a friendly, no contract needed.

41 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

So is he a Left D, a Left Mid, or a Forward? At USL against the Whitecaps2, I believe he played as a forward. 

In any event, he should be a call-up for Camp Poutine 2017 - fills the spot that would have been taken by Petrasso or Adekugbe.

In the article Theres a video of Vermes talking about his versatility in a few positions, specifically as outside mid and defense.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Made his MLS debut tonight at Vancouver. Some commentators on that thread are harsh, I reply as you can't expect a newcomer to be better than a team that played badly, IMO. He tried to take on Williams and find the end line, but was relatively unassisted and the SKC team as a whole was weak. 

From the SKC site, interview with him: 

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/2017/05/20/quotes-sporting-kc-0-2-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-may-20-2017

Sporting KC forward Tyler Pasher

Thoughts on making MLS debut...
“Obviously I was excited to come in and get my debut, in the starting lineup playing up front. It took me a bit to get into the game and see what it was like playing at this level and as the game went on I started to get more comfortable and settled in with the team.”

On the transition from USL...
“Definitely a big difference. A lot faster, a lot less time on the ball. But I felt as the game went on, I started to get more comfortable and begin to adapt to the speed of play as quickly as I could. It was just good to get a bit of experience and build from it.”

On the match...
“I thought we started well in the first half. It was just one of those games where they had a good cross, good finish, and it kind of set us back a bit. Some mistakes that we made we got punished for, but at the end of the day I think it was an okay performance from us.”

On team fatigue from Wednesday being a factor...
“Maybe, but the guys came out with the same ambition we do every single game, so it was just an unfortunate result for the team.”

Was pretty pumped to see Pasher in the match squad, and actually watched him with more interest than the Whitecaps themselves. If he can hold down that position he's at a great club to have a long MLS-level career (and what a great bonus for the national team down the left if so).

He is, absolutely, an example of why the CPL is so desperately needed. The league will uncover at least 1 gem (say 19 and under) every year that goes on to have a long national team career. But it will also give late developers who were at "big" clubs as teens and fell away a second chance. 

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Pasher has been replaced by fellow SPR player James Musa on the SKC first team roster. Unless SKC cuts or demotes a player, Pasher won't be in the SKC 18 for the rest of the season.

I really hope he makes a start for the first team by the end of the year. Although Sporting Kansas City are too deep.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Pasher has been replaced by fellow SPR player James Musa on the SKC first team roster. Unless SKC cuts or demotes a player, Pasher won't be in the SKC 18 for the rest of the season.

Has he?  He's still on the roster. I mean, he's playing some games for SPR, but it's not like he's been replaced by Musa. I think it's more likely a depth move.