Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe I am a biased Canadian, but the celebration doesn't seem rational to me.

Does the move make sense for LAFC? Sure. Do they need to celebrate it? Not really. It's a piece of business that moves the team forward.

I take all of their complaints about him playing poorly into consideration, but he was still starting and/or playing heavy minutes, so was he REALLY that bad for them, or did he just become the whipping boy? Some even called for Bob Bradley's head just for starting him over Cinfuentes, which tells you everything you need to know about their delusion. 

In the end, I think they mostly just want minutes going to their young, deserving Ecuadorian international and Kaye was getting in the way of that. He's the oldest of their midfield 3 and was (probably) playing the worst football. If he was the absolute disaster fans are making him out to be he wouldn't of been given the chance to play through it, because it would have hurt the team too much.

Kaye is largely a confidence player I think, which explains why he's been good-to-great for Canada in 2021, despite the club struggles. 

Def seems like a whipping boy situation. People are already saying that now that Brian Rodriguez has returned from his loan he's going to be the new scapegoat.

Rapids 

7 hours ago, grigorio said:

Unfortunately he's gone from possibly the sexiest to the least sexy MLS team out there 🤮

With an owner who consistently underinvested in their greatest assets and often lose them for nothing.  

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/what-the-mark-anthony-kaye-trade-tells-us-about-lafc

Good article.

Towards the end they talk about how the Rapids will very likely offer him a new deal to keep him beyond the 2022 option year. That probably means MAK is about to get paid big time.

He's on 250k at the moment. Expect a new contract with the rapids to be at least double that. He's arguably been the biggest bargain in MLS, similar to Laryea before his new contract which quadrupled his salary.

MAK on +500k would be fair value and honestly he deserves that kind of money for his contributions. 

That's an interesting article, showing how the trade was largely business driven.  Seems a bit convenient for the LAFC brass that the fans turned on MAK at the end, because they could trade him with the majority of the fans' approval.  As a Leafs fan, I'm well familiar with the concept of the whipping boy, and how it is largely fueled by the media.  I wonder if there was something deliberate about putting MAK in that role?

I am on the outside looking in but I get the impression that the MLS fanbase is pretty progressive at least compared to some fanbases in England.  That said even here, a player's politics (or religion or whatever else is not polite dinner conversation) is largely forgotten if the team is doing well and the player contributing. (Obviously not fair that it comes up when things go south). 

I only get to see him with Canada but, at times, he can be frustrating.  Specifically trying to make that pass when a simple one will do and thereby getting caught on the ball. But I also know he can be invaluable at times. 

If the fanbase has locked onto the negative, the move was needed. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Here are some other Canadian player salaries for comparison with Kaye:

Cavallini $1,362,500

Osorio $876,250

Piette $454,750

Teibert $387,500

Akindele $290,000

Crepeau $277,500

Kaye $247,188

Laryea $226,953

Brault-Guillard $203,625

Chapman $180,333

Gutierrez $167,500

Buchanan $121,000

Fraser $94,513

Miller $85,444

Johnston $73,079

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Cavallini $1,362,500

Osorio $876,250

Piette $454,750

Teibert $387,500

Akindele $290,000

Crepeau $277,500

Kaye $247,188

Laryea $226,953

Brault-Guillard $203,625

Chapman $180,333

Gutierrez $167,500

Buchanan $121,000

Fraser $94,513

Miller $85,444

Johnston $73,079

I wonder what Miller's new salary is. Guessing it has to be at least ZBG level.

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

So, that might be a benchmark of sorts.

Perhaps. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Kaye earn that, but I suspect it may be a bit lower. TFC was rewarding Osorio for what he did at the club, but Kaye hasn't done anything for Colorado yet. He is just currently on a contract that's clearly undervaluing him, so it's a bit different. For that reason my best guess would in the 600k range, which is what they pay Jack Price, Nicholas Benezet, Michael Barrios, and Diego Rubio. 

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Cavallini $1,362,500

Osorio $876,250

Piette $454,750

Teibert $387,500

Akindele $290,000

Crepeau $277,500

Kaye $247,188

Laryea $226,953

Brault-Guillard $203,625

Chapman $180,333

Gutierrez $167,500

Buchanan $121,000

Fraser $94,513

Miller $85,444

Johnston $73,079

At least I know he'll be getting better than Russ Teibert money.  

I guess a lot will boil down to how much he is a key contributor to a strong Colorado playoff run.

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Cavallini $1,362,500

Osorio $876,250

Piette $454,750

Teibert $387,500

Akindele $290,000

Crepeau $277,500

Kaye $247,188

Laryea $226,953

Brault-Guillard $203,625

Chapman $180,333

Gutierrez $167,500

Buchanan $121,000

Fraser $94,513

Miller $85,444

Johnston $73,079

Something tells me Buchanan will be getting a raise soon.  

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I can't understand MLS rules, so what is a club option? 

I understand that he could do the same as both Camilo and Larin, then. I also get that he can just go, because there is some legal aspect that the MLS does not want to push because their rules would be exposed as contrary to FIFA regulations in transfers. But I've forgotten the details, which were all hashed through with the Larin move. 

So club options are bogus, is that it? But some compensation must be made, regardless of the club where is was wanting to sell or not, or accepting a given quantity.

So in the case of Camilo and Larin I believe the caveat is they had multiple one year club options. Which is seen as the club taking all they upside (they have you if you play well) while the player takes the downside (you get cut if you play below your salary).

If it’s just a single one year option at the end of a contract, seems like FIFA will uphold it. Doesn’t really change that much and seems reasonable to agree to. But the multiple ones? Those were essentially considered unenforceable hence Camilo and Larin waving goodbye while they were “under contract” 

And MLS knows if they ever went to court they wouldn’t only lose the ability to do this but they’d likely have other things thrown out as well on account of labour laws. So they can complain all they want but it’s their own fault for implementing some pretty shady business practices. 

2 hours ago, ag futbol said:

So in the case of Camilo and Larin I believe the caveat is they had multiple one year club options. Which is seen as the club taking all they upside (they have you if you play well) while the player takes the downside (you get cut if you play below your salary).

If it’s just a single one year option at the end of a contract, seems like FIFA will uphold it. Doesn’t really change that much and seems reasonable to agree to. But the multiple ones? Those were essentially considered unenforceable hence Camilo and Larin waving goodbye while they were “under contract” 

And MLS knows if they ever went to court they wouldn’t only lose the ability to do this but they’d likely have other things thrown out as well on account of labour laws. So they can complain all they want but it’s their own fault for implementing some pretty shady business practices. 

One year club options are pretty standard in most of Europe on young players. The majority of contracts in MLS are 3+1 or 4+1s. That said the MLS contracts for HGs and draft picks are almost always 2+1+1 or 3+1+1....I've even seen a 2+1+1+1.

In the last couple years, MLS has made sure that the option years include increases in salary. This is because the main point of contention in the Larin case was the lack of increased compensation in the option years. As somebody who works in college soccer, it pisses me off that agents are more than happy to sign kids up for these deals, but the alternative is less money and more work for the agent.

image.png.d15c08346b26896dd7ad7a0186b60092.png