Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

14 hours ago, Ansem said:

He'd be dumb not to go to Championship 

Might be a good piece of business for the rapids if they can flip him to the Championship for 4 or 5 million. League gets a cut, rapids double their money, LAFC gets another half mill. Kaye gets into Europe. Everyone wins.

Edit: not another half mil. Just waking up lol.

Anyways, hope to see him in England and hope he has a great game today to boost his stock further. Herdman saying he is looking very focused so that is good.

Edit 2: yes, another half mil on 5M would be .5M...had it right the first time lol

Edited by Obinna

Anyone else find that Kaye still seems like a young guy, and plays a bit like one?

I think maybe it is that cute face, he hardly ever looks pissed off and seems a bit innocent. And he also plays a bit that way, a touch of innocence, he hardly every does harsh fouls, does not impose a physicality that he could, that he has. Related, there are games he sort of disappears for long stretches, he still needs to learn to be 100% on for 90 minutes.

This could also be a reason fans found it easy to get on his case in LA. Bullying often gets directed to those who might seem vulnerable to it. One way to be a crowd pleaser as a mid is to crunch into rivals every now and then.

I think he has room to grow as a pro, quite a bit. He's 26 but coming from the NA context, with only 4 years pro experience really, he is just getting going. As I see it you have to take the best of his LA experience, like in their Concacaf Champions run (he was very solid in that final), and use that to judge him. And maybe sign him to the kind of club that he can grow on, like many saying here.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyone else find that Kaye still seems like a young guy, and plays a bit like one?

I think maybe it is that cute face, he hardly ever looks pissed off and seems a bit innocent. And he also plays a bit that way, a touch of innocence, he hardly every does harsh fouls, does not impose a physicality that he could, that he has. Related, there are games he sort of disappears for long stretches, he still needs to learn to be 100% on for 90 minutes.

This could also be a reason fans found it easy to get on his case in LA. Bullying often gets directed to those who might seem vulnerable to it. One way to be a crowd pleaser as a mid is to crunch into rivals every now and then.

I think he has room to grow as a pro, quite a bit. He's 26 but coming from the NA context, with only 4 years pro experience really, he is just getting going. As I see it you have to take the best of his LA experience, like in their Concacaf Champions run (he was very solid in that final), and use that to judge him. And maybe sign him to the kind of club that he can grow on, like many saying here.

How do you rate Kaye? ;) 

18 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

One year club options are pretty standard in most of Europe on young players. The majority of contracts in MLS are 3+1 or 4+1s. That said the MLS contracts for HGs and draft picks are almost always 2+1+1 or 3+1+1....I've even seen a 2+1+1+1.

In the last couple years, MLS has made sure that the option years include increases in salary. This is because the main point of contention in the Larin case was the lack of increased compensation in the option years. As somebody who works in college soccer, it pisses me off that agents are more than happy to sign kids up for these deals, but the alternative is less money and more work for the agent.

image.png.d15c08346b26896dd7ad7a0186b60092.png

I don’t think the salary was really the “out” here. A single option on a contract is not really a problem, even if it’s at the same money.

It’s repeatedly having the right to re-sign the player or cut him loose each season that creates the issues with labour laws and likely with FIFA too. Some of the pro leagues in North America get away with it because they are the only place globally where players can command such a high salary. So even if the player were to break their contract there is nowhere else to go.

The issue is, as an agent (or a player) involved with MLS, you run afoul of the league and good luck ever getting your foot back in the door. You’ll be blackballed.

Some agents who primarily have a client base outside North America might not care. But for the players signing college prospects to MLS deals? They’d be doing the equivalent of biting off their own hand to make that move.

I have actually been pretty impressed with his all around play during this tourney and before that in CCL.  He has stretches where he drifts out of games, is too loose in possession, and is more of a finesse player than a grinder, but he's definitely the anti-Teibert when it comes to his willingness and ability to do a dangle or two on the ball and then hit progressive passes, especially those slide rule types which spring attackers onto goal.

He's been durable of late, which was a concern I had at the beginning of last season because he seemed to be prone to serious lower body injuries.  At the end of the day, I think management decided that the time was right to cash in

1 hour ago, ag futbol said:

I don’t think the salary was really the “out” here. A single option on a contract is not really a problem, even if it’s at the same money.

It’s repeatedly having the right to re-sign the player or cut him loose each season that creates the issues with labour laws and likely with FIFA too. Some of the pro leagues in North America get away with it because they are the only place globally where players can command such a high salary. So even if the player were to break their contract there is nowhere else to go.

The issue is, as an agent (or a player) involved with MLS, you run afoul of the league and good luck ever getting your foot back in the door. You’ll be blackballed.

Some agents who primarily have a client base outside North America might not care. But for the players signing college prospects to MLS deals? They’d be doing the equivalent of biting off their own hand to make that move.

There is Larin's agency:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/axia-sports-management/beraterfirma/berater/3618

Not sure if they are being blackballed by MLS.

Article on the Kaye trade in MLS.com

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/what-the-mark-anthony-kaye-trade-tells-us-about-lafc

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know this sounds dumb, and I rarely say it about a footballer, but he seems like a cute kid. 

I'm old enough to be able to make this sort of comment, but probably old enough for it to not be very well taken, either.

I was expecting you to say like 9/10, but this is even better lol

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There is Larin's agency:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/axia-sports-management/beraterfirma/berater/3618

Not sure if they are being blackballed by MLS.

Article on the Kaye trade in MLS.com

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/what-the-mark-anthony-kaye-trade-tells-us-about-lafc

Interesting. Wonder if it was the same at the time he moved. Assuming that’s the case and I stand corrected.

Here is a article around the time of the saga occurred which spells out many of the issues.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/19/blog/post/3367218/larins-protracted-move-to-besiktas-has-wide-ranging-consequences-for-mls

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

I love the honesty, the reality is that when it comes time to pay up for domestics quite a few MLS teams aren’t willing to open the wallet. LAFC was only ever interested in him at his current wage, but they’ll be X vet twice the amount easily.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Wow that last part about what it would mean to make it to the World Cup for him and all the other players and that he knows they are not just playing for themselves but what it would me for his family and all of us fans to make it to the World Cup , good stuff .

• 2 months later...

Strange season for Kaye to say the least. Slow start with LAFC. Shuffled out of town unceremoniously only to get the last laugh by winning the West with Colorado. Then he gets subbed off in the 83rd minute of a 0-0 playoff game only to see his team concede the winner moments later. Hopefully he hits the ground running in 2022.

33 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Strange season for Kaye to say the least. Slow start with LAFC. Shuffled out of town unceremoniously only to get the last laugh by winning the West with Colorado. Then he gets subbed off in the 83rd minute of a 0-0 playoff game only to see his team concede the winner moments later. Hopefully he hits the ground running in 2022.

Is he a free agent? 

15 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Is he a free agent? 

Yes, as far as I know.

The talk around Kaye when the Colorado trade happened was if it made sense to part with so much allocation for a player who could just bolt to Europe at season's end. 

As I see it, he could a) go to Europe as a free-agent, or b) sign a new contract with Colorado for significantly more money (I imagine AT LEAST a double of his current 250k salary, if not more). I recall him making a comment along the lines of "I will settle with Colorado if the money is right", but I am paraphrasing. Not a direct quote, but I believe it was during the KJ interview if anyone wants to re-watch it. 

An aside: I had the pleasure of meeting KJ at the Costa Rica game. Great guy, who had all the time in the world to take pictures with fans, myself included. If you haven't watched his interviews with our players on Youtube, give it a view and a like to support his content. 

8 minutes ago, Big_M said:

27...he will get a big money offer somewhere in mls...and will take it...in his case there isnt much thinking to do...hes made a name for himself in mls and at his age will be very difficult to get something interesting abroad for the long-term

It would be easier for him on a free, if he has his heart set on Europe and the MLS deal he covets doesn't materialize (which it should, I agree). I think it all depends on how badly he wants Europe and if he can find the right situation when it comes to club, league, money, etc.