Tesho Akindele

“Whether or not I’m there, Canada is easily one of the best teams in the tournament and probably going to surprise people from what they thought of Canada in the past," Akindele said.

Great attitude.  I really think he has a shot to sneak in.  I mean if he scores tonight he’s having quite the year and Herdman has never given him a shot.  Calling Tabla who hasn’t played in half a year over a guy who is starting and contributing at a good level seems silly.  

We have a lot of talent on the wing with Davies, Hoilett, Millar and David.  Akindele gives us a different type of player - a bigger player to put on the wing.  Could be a nice option.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

“Whether or not I’m there, Canada is easily one of the best teams in the tournament and probably going to surprise people from what they thought of Canada in the past," Akindele said.

Great attitude.  I really think he has a shot to sneak in.  I mean if he scores tonight he’s having quite the year and Herdman has never given him a shot.  Calling Tabla who hasn’t played in half a year over a guy who is starting and contributing at a good level seems silly.  

We have a lot of talent on the wing with Davies, Hoilett, Millar and David.  Akindele gives us a different type of player - a bigger player to put on the wing.  Could be a nice option.

I agree - love the quote and also think he could be a nice player from the bench this GC.

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Floortom said:

Was never a huge fan of tesho but I think he offers more than Larin now and is a better fit  with the squad so hopefully he gets called up for LoN matches.

We need friendlies, because are our attack goes untouched right now in make it count games.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Akindele scores again, making good runs and clinical finishing Orlanso beats Dallas.  Miller on the bench and Johnson goes almost the full 90.    

Didnt see. Where is he playing? Number 9 or 10 or out wide?

Always loved Tesho but he has never been a great out and out striker or the most natural number 10. He simply is just Tesho Akindele.

He also missed a sitter last night.  Put it in perspective and it’s hard to see how you call him ahead of Larin.  Larin is Orlando’s all time leading scorer and 3 years younger than Tesho.  Also, a much more natural replacement for a CF role than Tesho, who as others mentioned is sort of a tweener position wise.

He needs someone to go down to get a call up IMO.   

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He also missed a sitter last night.  Put it in perspective and it’s hard to see how you call him ahead of Larin.  Larin is Orlando’s all time leading scorer and 3 years younger than Tesho.  Also, a much more natural replacement for a CF role than Tesho, who as others mentioned is sort of a tweener position wise.

He needs someone to go down to get a call up IMO.   

I dont agree with this. Larin’s form has been terrible the past year and a half. Calling up Larin because he is Orlando’s all time leading scorer is no justification at all for a call up. Thats like calling up Ricketts because of his solid goal scoring record for canada.

Age isnt a huge factor, one is 24 the other 27, both have lots of time to produce for the NT. IMO you call up the in form striker, not the one who was banging them in two years ago. 

Nobody should be guaranteed a place based on form from a couple years ago IMO. 

Edited by king1010

11 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I dont agree with this. Larin’s form has been terrible the past year and a half. Calling up Larin because he is Orlando’s all time leading scorer is no justification at all for a call up. Thats like calling up Ricketts because of his solid goal scoring record for canada.

Age isnt a huge factor, one is 24 the other 27, both have lots of time to produce for the NT. IMO you call up the in form striker, not the one who was banging them in two years ago. 

Nobody should be guaranteed a place based on form from a couple years ago IMO. 

Larin has 3 goals in his last 6 caps, so it’s not just based on that.  I used his being all time top scorer to illustrate his quality relative to the level Tesho is at.  I think dropping him would be a mistake based on emotion and not logic.  Larin is twice the player of Akindele, if he were in MLS he would still be killing it.  Are we going to punish a player for moving to one of the biggest clubs in the world?

Look at Altidore and the States.. they stuck by him even through all the poor club form at a much higher level and they’ve been rewarded. 

With that said I’m eager to see how Tesho does Tuesday against Atlanta in the USOC semi.  A huge game for him and his club. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

19 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Larin has 3 goals in his last 6 caps, so it’s not just based on that.  I used his being all time top scorer to illustrate his quality relative to the level Tesho is at.  I think dropping him would be a mistake based on emotion and not logic.  Larin is twice the player of Akindele, if he were in MLS he would still be killing it.  Are we going to punish a player for moving to one of the biggest clubs in the world?

Look at Altidore and the States.. they stuck by him even through all the poor club form at a much higher level and they’ve been rewarded. 

With that said I’m eager to see how Tesho does Tuesday against Atlanta in the USOC semi.  A huge game for him and his club. 

But Larin is not in MLS and is not killing it. IMO cant call someone up based on hypotheticals. I stand by my opinion that we should call up the in form players, that opinion isnt based on emotion, rather objective based performance and playing time. 

Keep in mind Larin’s 3 goals came against USVI and Domenica which has more to do with the lack of quality in the opponent.  

Appears we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. 

Edited by king1010

29 minutes ago, king1010 said:

But Larin is not in MLS and is not killing it. IMO cant call someone up based on hypotheticals. I stand by my opinion that we should call up the in form players, that opinion isnt based on emotion, rather objective based performance and playing time. 

Keep in mind Larin’s 3 goals came against USVI and Domenica which has more to do with the lack of quality in the opponent.  

Appears we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. 

Appreciate your opinion and that it’s not a black and white argument. Ultimately I look to player quality and Larin is/was at a top world club.  Akindele could never reach that level and that’s truth.. he’s closer to Suduva FK than Besiktas. 

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Appreciate your opinion and that it’s not a black and white argument. Ultimately I look to player quality and Larin is/was at a top world club.  Akindele could never reach that level and that’s truth.. he’s closer to Suduva FK than Besiktas. 

Umm...what?

Who knows what Larin is anymore?? He is just starting his season and if he takes his chances probably he'll get called.  Akindele will be at the end of his season and MLS isnt breaking for these games.  He deserves a call and is having his best season as a pro. As far as who Herdman will call against Cuba in a month...do we need a A squad? Will some of the big guns be left in europe??  I can see the MLS squads wanting to hold onto their guys if they are in playoff races.  If you want to try out Cordova, a new CB or any other new faces, the cuba camp will be the time to do it.  But I think an older face will be there...and I hope Tesho pots one against cuba.  

Yeah the argument for Larin because he was at Beskitas is weak. Many Beskitas fans considered him the worst player to ever play for the club. They wanted him gone! These same fans absolutely adore Hutch so it’s not a bias opinion from them.