Tesho Akindele

6 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Dallas fans don't seem to like Akindele much.

I think many v's feel a bit underwhelmed by him as well, to be fair

From my point of view, he is a classic big man to balance out a quick small man in the 442 formation that no team plays anymore. In other roles, he's either not agile enough, not creative enough, or not a strong enough passer. He's a great athlete, with a decent workrate and has proven he can finish; I just think he doesn't fit into many coach's systems, at Dallas included.

Edited by nolando

On 3/18/2018 at 8:47 PM, nolando said:

He's a great athlete,

He was always a great athlete except in Central America, but was overhyped because he went to a #USMNT camp once so we were afraid he wouldn't pick us. Just like Larin and Ricketts, he can't dribble past defenders.

I can't fault the man's attitude; always willing to fight for the #CanMNT

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I think part of his problem from what I have seen of him is that no-one really knows how best to utilize him and generally there are arguably better players in the position he is in. For me he doesn't fit the stereotype of what his physical attributes suggest. He isn't a lone up top, physical striker or target man, he isn't really a classic winger with good crossing ability, he is not super pacey but he isn't slow. I don't think he or certainly the Dallas coaching staff know where or how to use him best.  

He was absolutely fantastic against Vancouver last year, at BC Place, he was playing more of a number 10, secondary striker setting up play. I think he is bigger and deserves better than the CPL but I would certainly love him in Sask :) 

Tesho could probably start elsewhere in the league. I think FCD is still one of the better MLS teams, but they have lost their way a bit. Perhaps starting to find it again after beating Seattle 3-0 over the weekend. They have lots of talent in any case.

I think talk of Akindele being an athlete first and a baller second is a little silly. Nobody had such opinions when he was on our radar, or when he joined our program, or when he played multiple games for us - and if those opinions existed, they weren’t shared around here.

Akindele is not the finest footballer around, but he can pass and dribble and get past defenders and play in tight space. I wouldn’t say he excels at any of that, but he’s been good enough to play for Dallas for four years or so now - a team known around the league for having ballers, not athletes.

They have strengthened but he is still around for now. Let’s see how things pan out. He could just be short on confidence after seeing his minutes drop a bit last season and also being overlooked by Zambrano. I think the ability is still there, just has to take his chances.

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I think part of his problem from what I have seen of him is that no-one really knows how best to utilize him and generally there are arguably better players in the position he is in. For me he doesn't fit the stereotype of what his physical attributes suggest. He isn't a lone up top, physical striker or target man, he isn't really a classic winger with good crossing ability, he is not super pacey but he isn't slow. I don't think he or certainly the Dallas coaching staff know where or how to use him best.  

He was absolutely fantastic against Vancouver last year, at BC Place, he was playing more of a number 10, secondary striker setting up play. I think he is bigger and deserves better than the CPL but I would certainly love him in Sask :) 

I think he is best utilized in that withdrawn forward role, but he'll never get a chance there on a team with Mauro Diaz and Paxton Pomykal. 

On 18/03/2018 at 8:14 PM, Vince193 said:

He's the perfect target for a CPL club.

fully agree especially for calgary (everyone loves a homecoming). he'd be a good marketing get for the league in a lot of ways given his decent mls record and prizes. if you wanted to promote a canadian as a golden boot contender for season 1 against whatever foreign talent they have, he'd be one of the best guys in the pool for the role. he does need national team minutes however to best make use for marketing but that's not in anyone's control but his and herdman.

playwise, he'd likely be able to perform respectively goal wise.

I can't see why a guy who is appearing in 25-30 MLS games a season making around $115,000 US per season in a state with no income taxes would decide to move to the CPL unless he was offered substantially more money.

There would be a much greater chance that he moves to another MLS team that provides him with more consistent starts.

I think Tesho is an example of the kind of guys who are losing their spots to better quality foreign types and higher priced (TAM) mini DP's rapidly coming into the league.  The league is getting better all the time.  Look at TFC not that long ago (2011) with Attakora and Cann starting CB.  Now we are complaining that we need to upgrade Moor etc.  The no tax thing is pretty sweet but times are changing....  

41 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think Tesho is an example of the kind of guys who are losing their spots to better quality foreign types and higher priced (TAM) mini DP's rapidly coming into the league.  The league is getting better all the time.  Look at TFC not that long ago (2011) with Attakora and Cann starting CB.  Now we are complaining that we need to upgrade Moor etc.  The no tax thing is pretty sweet but times are changing....  

Yeah but I don't see Tesho moving to the CanPL.

Sure, you can make the agrument players like him are getting displaced, which is fair, but the most likely destination would be another MLS club.

Clubs like MNUFC and NE are not heavily relying on TAM for the time being, and it is not just those clubs.

This is not Kyle Bekker we are talking about here.

MLS teams will want him if Dallas don't, and I have little reason to think FCD would get rid of him. He is a sub with 4 years of MLS experience, plenty of time as a starter in the past, relatively cheap contract, knows the coach/club/organization, former rookie of the year...etc.

There is a difference in Tesho losing his place because of poor preformance and Tesho losing his place because TAM attackers are being brought in. 

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I can't see why a guy who is appearing in 25-30 MLS games a season making around $115,000 US per season in a state with no income taxes would decide to move to the CPL unless he was offered substantially more money.

There would be a much greater chance that he moves to another MLS team that provides him with more consistent starts.

Contract is over after this season. Can't see Dallas paying $100,000+ for Tesho to sit on the bench given that they pretty inarguablely have the best youth attacking talent in the whole DA.

Just now, harrycoyster said:

Contract is over after this season. Can't see Dallas paying $100,000+ for Tesho to sit on the bench given that they pretty inarguablely have the best youth attacking talent in the whole DA.

They may want to bring him back for a similar amount of money, because $115,000 is not a big contract anymore - and Tesho provides experience and stability at a time they need it.

But they will want to ensure a pathway for all their young attacking talent, and now that Tesho is about to enter his prime, I suspect he's going to want ore playing time than he's getting. For that reason I see him moving on, and he'll probably want a pay bump because again - $115,000 is not a lot in MLS anymore.

He'll probably want both as he approaches 26. More game time. More money.

I wonder how he'd fit in Vancouver actually. That was pondered around here a year or two ago when they met Dallas in the playoffs. I don't know how often he'd start, but perhaps more than at Dallas. There is Davies, Techera, Shea and then who else as a winger for the caps? 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

They may want to bring him back for a similar amount of money, because $115,000 is not a big contract anymore - and Tesho provides experience and stability at a time they need it.

But they will want to ensure a pathway for all their young attacking talent, and now that Tesho is about to enter his prime, I suspect he's going to want ore playing time than he's getting. For that reason I see him moving on, and he'll probably want a pay bump because again - $115,000 is not a lot in MLS anymore.

He'll probably want both as he approaches 26. More game time. More money.

I wonder how he'd fit in Vancouver actually. That was pondered around here a year or two ago when they met Dallas in the playoffs. I don't know how often he'd start, but perhaps more than at Dallas. There is Davies, Techera, Shea and then who else as a winger for the caps? 

I wouldn't mind him on the Caps, but that doesn't get him any closer to starting minutes. 

55 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I wouldn't mind him on the Caps, but that doesn't get him any closer to starting minutes. 

What is the depth chart of wingers in Vancouver and do you believe he'd be useful as a winger in Vancouver?

This is the type of player that should have his agent testing the water in some European leagues and Liga MX. No need to limit his opportunity to only MLS or CPL. He has been a regular contributor to a quality FC Dallas team for the past few years. That should look good on his resume.

Edited by Ruffian

58 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What is the depth chart of wingers in Vancouver and do you believe he'd be useful as a winger in Vancouver?

LW- Davies, Shea

RW- Techera, Mezquida, Ibini

2ndST- Reyna, Hurtado, Mutch

If we play a 433/4141 without a 10/SS, Reyna moves to the right. In a pinch, Hurtado can play on the left wing, but his lack of interest in tracking back kills us in possession.

I think Tesho would be decent depth at LW and SS, but barring injury, he isn't starting. I don't even know if he'd see much of the field off the bench. Robbo likes traits off the bench. He kills off games with Shea's physicality, or goes for the game with Hurtado or Ibini's workrate and pace. Tesho's a well-rounded player, but doesn't have the "killer trait"...so as a CMNT fan I'd rather him go somewhere else.

Edited by harrycoyster

He would be a different option as a number 10/secondary striker maybe. I think he wouldn't get any more playing time at Vancouver than Dallas though, especially if he came as a winger. 

He isn't quicker than the wingers Whitecaps have which is a major drawback in the style Robinson wants to play. 

I think he or just as important, a coach needs to work out what his best position is. It has been mentioned before but his attributes and strengths are jumbled up. He doesn't really excel up top or out wide but does a decent job. He is in danger of being a jack of all trades. Secondary striker is where I like him the best. He has a good eye for a pass, has strength to hold up the ball and a turn of pace while not really being great in the air or super pacey. It is a conundrum big prize to whomever works it out though as he has talent.

• 3 months later...